Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could someone help me determine if I truly am an INFJ, or if I am another common mistype such as INFP, INTJ or INTP?
Why I think I am and INFJ?
I remember always being a bit of a loner, and quite intuitive as a child. Never feeling to be like my peers, I had only a few close friends. I still feel somewhat different from most of my peers, not enjoying the things they seem to. I also have a tendency to listen to "deep" music, rather than the superficial music that most of my peers like, but hey to each his own. I also have huge social anxiety. I attribute this to having "unusual" interests, and a fear of being "found out" and judged.

INFJs are often described as being much more mature than their peers, and that does apply to me. Actually, I often have to "Parent" my dad. Further traits that seem to point to INFJ is that I can be sensitive, but also very intellectual depending on the context and my current focus though I tend to lean slightly to catering to others.

I am drawn towards Spirituality, rather than dogmatic religions. I have always raised deep questions about everything, but especially religion. As for Ni, I do seem to want closure when solving a problem. I also seem to remember trying to solve a computer problem, for a friend, that I had no Idea what was wrong, when I had gotten a sudden flash of insight, a video like mental image of my teacher saying something related to the internet device settings, and sure enough, that was where the problem was (Ni?). As a young child I remember that I used to get irritated when I had to explain my reasoning, on school work or when I knew which way to go when we went for walks. Furthermore, I seem to remember concepts of events, better than details, sometimes, but also sometimes remembering snippets, forgetting the everyday. I also seem to have that oceanic memory that is talked about, ie I will hear a phrase, then something i have seen or heard will just pop in, randomly out of the blue, usually a song, but sometimes a "video memory."

I have found that I am becoming increasingly sensitive since a few months prior to my 17th birthday, like one of my friends I also am told by many people that I am apparently well respected? My dad also mentioned how I seem to try to find out "how people tick", mentioning that I would be interested in Psychology. I also have caught my self acting similar to others, especially if I am around them for a long time (Fe?). I also find myself starting to agree with other viewpoints, after reading articles from them, unconsciously. Unhealthy Fe? I also try to care for others, sometimes too much so. I have caught myself caring for others, helping them even when I don't have enough time for what I need. I also find myself drained when I am in a large crowd, almost spacey, yet also sometimes getting "contact emotions", but sometimes not. I also seem to want to be polite. Yet I feel as if I use Ne, due to my active imagination.

Also, I have see the mention of communication styles: Informing vs Directing, this did not help me, unfortunately. I seem to use both depending on the context of the situation.

I have tried and tried to figure myself out, but cannot nail down INFJ, especially after reading about so many mistypes, so I finally, after getting over much anxiety and fear of being though of as weird, if my family/ friends found out I was into MBTI, came here to ask for others opinions about my MBTI type.

Sorry about my rambling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sorry about the waste of time. Upon further introspection, I came to the realization that I have been influenced largely by social anxiety, and fear of making a mistake, Which is why I was so reluctant to confirm being an INFJ after reading about mistypes and how the INFJ community views them. I am indeed an INFJ, although I have some unhealthy traits. My confusion about Ne came about due to my active imagination.

Moderators: Please feel free to delete this thread, or leave it up as you see fit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry about the waste of time. Upon further introspection, I came to the realization that I have been influenced largely by social anxiety, and fear of making a mistake, Which is why I was so reluctant to confirm being an INFJ after reading about mistypes and how the INFJ community views them. I am indeed an INFJ, although I have some unhealthy traits. My confusion about Ne came about due to my active imagination.
you sound a lot like me! I'd say you're INFJ, not that you need my validation! I went through a similar 'crisis', was paranoid that I wasn't 100% INFJ and didn't want to either confirm or let go of the type. congrats on finding your type!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, sylviar, Sorry you also had to go through a similar "crisis". Actually, I think we, as INFJ's are quite prone to making seemingly small things into full out existential crisis, especially if our Fe is anything other than 100% healthy, and placed into perspective. Our "type paranoias" were examples the dreaded Ni-Ti loop, with just enough Fe anxiety mixed in to keep us in the loop; wanting to be sure, out of fear of offending others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts