Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I will begin by announcing that tests don't tend to work for me. You only take out what you put in, and the questions that determine what I'm trying to find out tend to be precisely the questions I'm really unsure about. So I read the descriptions of the functions on the official M-B site, and figured I was probably an ISTP. But then I read the descriptions of the types there, and figured I was more probably an INTP. Intuition, however, is perhaps the vaguest of the functions to me. I tend to be extremely skeptical toward intuition in the usual sense of the word. But perhaps that's not the sense meant by Myers and Briggs, or by Jung.

I'm most certainly an introvert. I also understand what the J/P dichotomy means: whether one's Perceiving or Judging function is extroverted.

Now supposing I'm either an ISTP or an INTP, consider this. I sometimes take apart things like video game controllers or my PC's mouse in order to fix them. I wouldn't if it wasn't necessary, though. I can swap my PC's hard drive or memory and stuff like that, but again, I wouldn't if it wasn't necessary. I can also work quite well with computer programs. But what I voluntarily put my mind to tends to be stuff like this:

- solving philosophical problems logically, i.e., resolving seeming contradictions, grasping how links in a chain of thought logically follow upon one another, etc.;

- figuring out how to break out of the Plato-Nietzsche cycle I envisioned;

- understanding what Heidegger meant by this statement: "But such becoming-a-being becomes a being that comes-to-be, and does so in the perpetual transformation of what has become firmly fixed and intractable to something made firm in a liberating transfiguration." (Heidegger, Nietzsche, Vol. II, chap. 26, trans. Krell);

- translating these lines literally: "si quis amans per amare mereri posset amari, posset Amor michi velle mederi dando beari."

I also really liked the puzzle video game Limbo, but the related Braid I don't like so much, because to actually carry out the solutions to the puzzles in that game is usually too much of a hassle for me.

I hope this is enough information. If you need more, please ask.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Hi. I will begin by announcing that tests don't tend to work for me. You only take out what you put in, and the questions that determine what I'm trying to find out tend to be precisely the questions I'm really unsure about. So I read the descriptions of the functions on the official M-B site, and figured I was probably an ISTP. But then I read the descriptions of the types there, and figured I was more probably an INTP. Intuition, however, is perhaps the vaguest of the functions to me. I tend to be extremely skeptical toward intuition in the usual sense of the word. But perhaps that's not the sense meant by Myers and Briggs, or by Jung.

I'm most certainly an introvert. I also understand what the J/P dichotomy means: whether one's Perceiving or Judging function is extroverted.

Now supposing I'm either an ISTP or an INTP, consider this. I sometimes take apart things like video game controllers or my PC's mouse in order to fix them. I wouldn't if it wasn't necessary, though. I can swap my PC's hard drive or memory and stuff like that, but again, I wouldn't if it wasn't necessary. I can also work quite well with computer programs. But what I voluntarily put my mind to tends to be stuff like this:

- solving philosophical problems logically, i.e., resolving seeming contradictions, grasping how links in a chain of thought logically follow upon one another, etc.;

- figuring out how to break out of the Plato-Nietzsche cycle I envisioned;

- understanding what Heidegger meant by this statement: "But such becoming-a-being becomes a being that comes-to-be, and does so in the perpetual transformation of what has become firmly fixed and intractable to something made firm in a liberating transfiguration." (Heidegger, Nietzsche, Vol. II, chap. 26, trans. Krell);

- translating these lines literally: "si quis amans per amare mereri posset amari, posset Amor michi velle mederi dando beari."

I also really liked the puzzle video game Limbo, but the related Braid I don't like so much, because to actually carry out the solutions to the puzzles in that game is usually too much of a hassle for me.

I hope this is enough information. If you need more, please ask.
You sound like a straight up INTP to me bro

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

Reactions: Sauwelios

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Ok, I read your post.

INTP for sure.
and no you haven't a clue about the mbti, free clue: type less read more.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Reactions: Sauwelios

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I read your post.

INTP for sure.
and no you haven't a clue about the mbti, free clue: type less read more.
I must say I find your response a bit presumptuous: you have no idea how much I've already read.

I will give Nate's link a try and report my findings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First question.

He [Jung] said that there are two styles of Perception: Sensing (which deals with immediate, concrete, tangible sensory impressions) and iNtuition (which deals with abstract patterns and relationships between things or ideas, and other non-tangible information.)
I find this already unclear. Let's list the antonyms used here.

• immediate vs. ?
  • concrete vs. abstract
  • ? vs. relationships between things or ideas
  • tangible versus non-tangible

Now the antonym of "immediate" would be "mediate". But "immediate" is an adjective with "sensory impressions". Yet surely iNtuition is not concerned with mediate sensory impressions, but not with sensory impressions at all. If not with sensory impressions, however, what is it concerned with?

"Concrete" is again an adjective with "sensory impressions". Does this mean the opposite of a sensory impression is a pattern? For "abstract", the antonym of "concrete", is an adjective with "patterns". Patterns of what, though? Patterns of sensory impressions as opposed to individual sensory impressions?

I find "tangible" a vague word to use here, as it cannot be meant literally.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Read the functions, you have Ti as a leading function and Ne as a secondary function. Just read and you will discover yourself.

personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html
Thank you. Though I'm still looking for exact definitions of the dichotomies, it definitely seems my dominant function is Ti. That makes me an IXTP, then. And it seems that the I/E distinction, as far as the Judging functions go at least, is a distinction as to whether one judges by one's own standards or those of others. I wonder then if the same goes for the Perceiving functions (though "to perceive by one's own standards or those of others" is still too abstract for me at this point).

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
First question.

I find this already unclear. Let's list the antonyms used here.

• immediate vs. ?
  • concrete vs. abstract
  • ? vs. relationships between things or ideas
  • tangible versus non-tangible

Now the antonym of "immediate" would be "mediate". But "immediate" is an adjective with "sensory impressions". Yet surely iNtuition is not concerned with mediate sensory impressions, but not with sensory impressions at all. If not with sensory impressions, however, what is it concerned with?

"Concrete" is again an adjective with "sensory impressions". Does this mean the opposite of a sensory impression is a pattern? For "abstract", the antonym of "concrete", is an adjective with "patterns". Patterns of what, though? Patterns of sensory impressions as opposed to individual sensory impressions?

I find "tangible" a vague word to use here, as it cannot be meant literally.
Translation:

Immediate vs. mediate- Are you more focused on the future or the here and now. Do you think more about immediate results or current results?

Concrete vs. abstract- What subjects would you be more interested in; something that is in theory, isn't set in stone, and needs to be explored, or something concrete where everything is black and white. For instance, psychology, sociology, philosophy, biology, physics, etc, are all abstract subjects that need to be explored and are not set in stone. However, things like business, law, and history are all things that are black and white and set in stone and don't need to be explored. Keep in mind the MBTI would be considered abstract in in self because it is based on a theory and not something set in stone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts