Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I want to find my true mbti type.
I know about different functions, but I can't decide which one I use more & my mbti type.

When I take online tests, the result is usually INTP or INTJ.
But these two types have no functions in common, & sometimes I think I'm not really assertive enough to be a thinker (T).

I answered to a few questions here, as I didn't know how to start. But if you want to ask more questions, feel free to do that...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
What kind of ppl? Family/Friends? Or just strangers?
Anyways, I would get angry/worried at first.
Then I would go help "my family/friends" to fix the problem faster (If I could!)

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I would feel bad...as I don't like parties. But as I'm not assertive enough, I would probaby not show my anger. Unless I could go back on my own, or I would give a good reason to make the driver change his/her mind.

Besides, what if the driver goes there & gets tempted to drink? What if he wants to stay longer?
gosh, I don't like unpredictable ppl !

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
I would get irritated on the inside. But how I would actually react, depends on how close I am to this person/group. Close family & friends? I would defend my idea & talk about it. Not so close? I would get angry & defend my point ot view "in my head" but I would keep quiet on the outside. Then If I found someone close later, I would talk about it with them & show my anger there.

I'm really assertive on the inside, but quiet and shy on the outside. Sometimes I think If I wanted to tell ppl about my true ideas & assert myself, I would lose alot of ppl & they would hate me!
I don't want to make enemies, so I keep quiet, but that makes things worse "for me"!

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
Just like 4th Q!
I would probaby get really irritated/angry on the inside. But I would keep quiet or act cold, until I could find a person I'm really comfortable with, & then I would express my anger there.

Or I would secretly hate those ppl &/or would act passive aggressive/avoidant.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
.Family (I only call a few chosen ones my "Family"! The rest are unimportant!)
.Freedom & Equality (with balance)
.Ambition (& caring about future)
.Hobbies (with balance)
.Individuality & Creativity (plus thinking outside the box)
.Not accepting things easily!

& some other personal values that I prefer not to talk about them as it would make this post really huge!

But what made me come up with these values is probaby reading(science), reasoning & seeing other ppl's (or my own) life experiences!
So, I would not change my values "at all", even with other ppl's reasonings (as I have my own reasonings)!

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
B)I would make myself more extrovert/outgoing/charismatic.
I would make myself more assertive, more easygoing, & more determined & less passive aggressive!

A)I really want to belong (to different groups), but I'm really introverted & not assertive. I cannot be me & comfy around ppl. I can't open up. & I have trust issues. I'm slso very skeptical & sensitive. So I usually end up being left out.

I also value individuality. I "try" to be original & I don't want to steal other ppl's ideas/style. So I would really hate it if someone did this to me!

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I don't know how to answer this question...
I might have some hunches every once in a while. & I'm a skeptical person. But I not always "act" based on my hunches & I may talk to ppl I trust about them, or I would keep thinking about them for a while, before acting on them.

But my social/emotional hunches usually make me sad on the inside as I'm a skeptical type of person.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
A)
Things I like to do,
Trying new things,
Learning new things (things I like),
Having "me time" at home,
Travelling,
Being around loved ones (family),
Shopping for food,groceries & stationaries,
Learning about other languages & cultures,

B)
Socializing
Mind games & Dramas
Tension
Being left out
Being in dirty places
Games & Puzzles

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I generally repress myself alot. I don't want to make enemies or cause tension.
What if I lose a useful person?!
What if they hate me?!
I usually don't talk about my ideas/belief system, I usually don't assert myself directly & act passive aggressive...which is not good.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
This can go a lot quicker. What type of humor do you like?

Reactions: MissElle

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hi there.

First of all, the problem with most online tests is that they focus on behaviour. Opposing types like INTP and INTJ tend to have similar patterns of behaviour. They're both (for what that's worth) "Introverted Intuitive Thinkers". The thing is: behaviour isn't personality. And while there are some patterns to common behaviours for each type, the real question is what is behind the behaviour. Do you analyze situations or do you focus on the goal? Do you generate ideas, or integrate ideas? Are you focused on group morality or personal values? Stuff like that.

I've looked through your answers and I didn't see a lot of that in there. Your answers are superficial in the sense that they describe the result of the functions, not the funtions themselves.

For example, you write:
I don't know how to answer this question...
I might have some hunches every once in a while. & I'm a skeptical person. But I not always "act" based on my hunches & I may talk to ppl I trust about them, or I would keep thinking about them for a while, before acting on them.
This does not tell us a lot about your common thought processes. Sure, there's a lot of things in there that are just on the verge of being useful to type you, but what is missing is the "why".
To be fair: MBTI is often about the things that you never considered were unique to you. It's often about those qualities that are so much a part of you that you just assume everyone has them in the same way.

So, I'd like to try this another way.

1: Would you say you are a goal-oriented person? When you're working on a project, are you the one keeping the project on track, or are you the one that comes with new ideas to completely revamp the project? When the project is done, do you have to check if the goal is actually reached, or did you never lose track of the goal?

2: Does your mind tend to generate new ideas or integrate existing ideas? Do new ideas keep popping up or are you always working on a single idea, until you finally work all the way through it?

3: Do you tolerate stupid people? Why/why not? How do you like to handle a situation where someone is clearly wrong and doesn't seem to 'get it'?

That should be enough to get you started. Really interested to see your answers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This can go a lot quicker. What type of humor do you like?
Usually I prefer situational humor (like sitcoms) & Dirty humors (sorry!)

However in most places, I'm kinda serious & don't really use humor that much. But generally, I prefer not to use verbal humor...as some ppl might take it personally.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1: Would you say you are a goal-oriented person? When you're working on a project, are you the one keeping the project on track, or are you the one that comes with new ideas to completely revamp the project? When the project is done, do you have to check if the goal is actually reached, or did you never lose track of the goal?
I usually come up with new ideas, try to be creative, original, & try to show it in my work. I may not forget about my main/general goal, but I may come up with a new idea & change "the process". & this, makes me a procrastinator, as I am always looking for a better way to do something.

Let me explain it through an example;

I had a class project about zoonotic diseases. Each of us had to pick one zoonotic disease ,research about it, make a powerpoint file & lecture it in class in front of others.

I first picked something, I researched it, but it was not what I really thought it would be. It didn't seem exciting & practical enough for me to talk about it.
So I checked my other options, found a better subject & talked to the professor.
I loved my new project. & I also wanted it to be creative & original. So then I finished the project with superfocus!

2: Does your mind tend to generate new ideas or integrate existing ideas? Do new ideas keep popping up or are you always working on a single idea, until you finally work all the way through it?
I also answered this part in the 1st question.

However, another non-work example would be ; me in the supermarket! I hate clothes shopping and changing rooms, but I love food/grocery shopping and supermarkets.
Each time, I make a list and go to the mall to buy things I need, but when I'm there, I have to check every section. I buy lots of new and interesting things, and this annoys my family!

3: Do you tolerate stupid people? Why/why not? How do you like to handle a situation where someone is clearly wrong and doesn't seem to 'get it'?
In these types of situations, I might confront the person if I'm comfortable enough with them. If not, I just keep it to myself, act passive aggressive & become cold/angry/distant. I try to come up with an indirect plan to prove them they're wrong which I might or might not act on! I would also "try" to stay away from that person as I cannot handle tension very well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give some descriptions of yourself especially certain traits you notice a lot in you.

I'm not really good at answering these types of questions as I don't exactly know which parts I should talk about.
But here's a description of myself ;

I'm a young adult college student.
I used to be adventurous but now I'm a homebody & prefer the company of myself & some close relatives.
So...I have "very few" friends & usually feel left out in most groups as I'm sort of shy/anxious and quiet in public.

At home, I try to have me time. I talk to myself, learn different languages, do buzzfeed quizzes, cook/bake, sing/dance, watch TV & youtube, surf the net & search about favorite subjects (other cultures & countries, food & drinks, things I'm going to buy, etc), try to learn new things, etc.

My favorite genres to watch ; sitcom, drama (sometimes) & specially mysterious/psychological horror or sci-fi movies, that what you find in the end is so shocking & so different from what you expected.
I also don't mind some thriller/slasher crime movies/series.

I also love some reality shows about food, cultires, world, houses, interior designing, business, etc.

& my least favorite genres;
Romantic, RomCom, Musical.

Socializing drains me & as I'm a shy & sensitive person, I try to stay away from huge parties.

I think my personality has two sides. Some days, I stick to physical pleasures like food, shopping, designing, etc.
& some days, I don't really care about these things & try to stay realistic & focus on my goals, future & plans.on these days I become perfectionist & competetive.

One thing I'm really interested in is old cultures, antique or retro things, old magazines & things like that. (20s, 30s, 50s, 90s)
I also love astronomy!

One thing about me is that I never talk about my emotions with others in real life. Not even close ppl. Unless I'm extremely angry.

Anyways, Sorry if I did not describe myself well. Please ask me questions if needed.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Usually I prefer situational humor (like sitcoms) & Dirty humors (sorry!)

However in most places, I'm kinda serious & don't really use humor that much. But generally, I prefer not to use verbal humor...as some ppl might take it personally.
I'd say INTJ then. INTPs like puns mostly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not really good at answering these types of questions as I don't exactly know which parts I should talk about.
But here's a description of myself ;

I'm a young adult college student.
I used to be adventurous but now I'm a homebody & prefer the company of myself & some close relatives.
So...I have "very few" friends & usually feel left out in most groups as I'm sort of shy/anxious and quiet in public.

At home, I try to have me time. I talk to myself, learn different languages, do buzzfeed quizzes, cook/bake, sing/dance, watch TV & youtube, surf the net & search about favorite subjects (other cultures & countries, food & drinks, things I'm going to buy, etc), try to learn new things, etc.

My favorite genres to watch ; sitcom, drama (sometimes) & specially mysterious/psychological horror or sci-fi movies, that what you find in the end is so shocking & so different from what you expected.
I also don't mind some thriller/slasher crime movies/series.

I also love some reality shows about food, cultires, world, houses, interior designing, business, etc.

& my least favorite genres;
Romantic, RomCom, Musical.

Socializing drains me & as I'm a shy & sensitive person, I try to stay away from huge parties.

I think my personality has two sides. Some days, I stick to physical pleasures like food, shopping, designing, etc.
& some days, I don't really care about these things & try to stay realistic & focus on my goals, future & plans.on these days I become perfectionist & competetive.

One thing I'm really interested in is old cultures, antique or retro things, old magazines & things like that. (20s, 30s, 50s, 90s)
I also love astronomy!

One thing about me is that I never talk about my emotions with others in real life. Not even close ppl. Unless I'm extremely angry.

Anyways, Sorry if I did not describe myself well. Please ask me questions if needed.
I can't tell for sure, but you seem to get an INTJ vibe from your description. Have you considered typing yourself as an ISTJ before? I can see it working, at least from your description. I might be wrong, but I can't really see the Ni in you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't tell for sure, but you seem to get an INTJ vibe from your description. Have you considered typing yourself as an ISTJ before? I can see it working, at least from your description. I might be wrong, but I can't really see the Ni in you.
Most of the tests type me INTJ & INTP (and sometimes INFP) but I'm open to other suggestions, as I don't really trust on-line tests.

& my main problem is that online tests are so general & sometimes hard to understand.
I myself prefer real examples that simplify those tests & relate how we function in life to MBTI/Cognitive Functions.

ISTJ? Actually, I never thought about being ISXJ (Si dom) before.

Specially because I always thought of ISTJ as a punctual person always loyal to the rules & doing his/her job, with almost no interest in trying new things (like sensory things) or improving their situation.
I might look serious or in my head at college/work, but at home, I have this interest in trying new ideas/things.

But then again, I might be biased & totally wrong!
Maybe I AM an ISTJ. I have to read about it's cognitive function order more.

Which parts of my post give you ISTJ vibes?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
@MissElle sounds like Ni-Te cognitive stream if that makes sense. Have 3 INTJ buddies and they are hilarious but sometimes are rough on themselves when relationships don't go well. Took the actual Myers Briggs got estp, took variations online and ended up ESTJ and ISTP once, with the rest being ESTP.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Your answers do seem consistent with INTJ. I see definite Se and Ni. I could see Te+Fi too. The ordering is kind of hard though. ISFP is possible, but seems unlikely, from your answers I also see that you consider yourself an introvert.
I'm going with INTJ, although I'm not ruling out other options based on your answers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
1. Which thought process is easier for you?

A. Tear something apart and examine its individual pieces. "Divergent deconstruction"
B. Put individual pieces together to create something. "Convergent creation"​

2. An uncomfortable thought process you've caught yourself in:

A. Being trapped constantly recalling elements you've memorized but not reaching a conclusion that makes sense.
B. Being trapped constantly believing that everything that comes across your mind has something to do with you.​

3. You can write pages upon pages of text explaining something in detail.

A. I can't be bothered with such things.
B. True.​

4. Deadlines.

A. I usually finish before they arrive.
B. The bane of my existence.​

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Liove ,

1)=A
In my social relations I'm a convergent thinker. I'm a cynical person, & I think people either like me or hate me.

But that could be social anxiety/shyness.
Other than that, I'm mostly a divergent thinker.
I'm terrible at multiple choice test where I have to connect different parts/texts & information in order to reach an answer.

2)maybe A,
This one was the hardest question for me.
I'm not sure I understood it correctly.

Does "B" mean getting paranoid, thinking all the things around me/all things people talk about is about me?
If yes, then that happens alot to me!

A usually happens at exam times, & multiple choice tests.

3)A
((I might be able to write about a theory/idea or personal belief, but I'm not really good at writing about details of things.

4)deffo B
I almost always procrastinste & finish projects so late.
But I think if pressure and deadlines did not exist, I would not finish most of the projects on time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, one thing I realise about myself, is that I have this tendency to feel nostalgic about things/people, specially when I'm far from them

As an example, When a beloved relative comes to my apartment, stays for a while and them leaves, I miss them so much and for a while, when I look at things at my house or streets, I remember things we did together & start feeling so sad.

Is this Si?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I usually come up with new ideas, try to be creative, original, & try to show it in my work. I may not forget about my main/general goal, but I may come up with a new idea & change "the process". & this, makes me a procrastinator, as I am always looking for a better way to do something.

Let me explain it through an example;

I had a class project about zoonotic diseases. Each of us had to pick one zoonotic disease ,research about it, make a powerpoint file & lecture it in class in front of others.

I first picked something, I researched it, but it was not what I really thought it would be. It didn't seem exciting & practical enough for me to talk about it. So I checked my other options, found a better subject & talked to the professor. I loved my new project. & I also wanted it to be creative & original.
Fi - Se

*also the fact that you provided an example of the theory in a real life situation leads to Se.

However, another non-work example would be ; me in the supermarket! I hate clothes shopping and changing rooms, but I love food/grocery shopping and supermarkets. Each time, I make a list and go to the mall to buy things I need, but when I'm there, I have to check every section. I buy lots of new and interesting things, and this annoys my family!

cook/bake
sing/dance
watch TV & youtube
surf the net & search about favorite subjects
(other cultures & countries, food & drinks, things I'm going to buy, etc)
I also love some reality shows about food, cultires, world, houses, interior designing
Some days, I stick to physical pleasures like food, shopping, designing,
One thing I'm really interested in is old cultures, antique or retro things, old magazines & things like that.

I myself prefer real examples that simplify those tests
*again with the real life example of theory leads to Se

usually feel left out in most groups as I'm sort of shy/anxious and quiet in public.
At home, I try to have me time.
I talk to myself
do buzzfeed quizzes
I think people either like me or hate me.
Does "B" mean getting paranoid, thinking all the things around me/all things people talk about is about me?
If yes, then that happens alot to me!
Fi

Te

I almost always procrastinste & finish projects so late.
But I think if pressure and deadlines did not exist, I would not finish most of the projects on time.

ISFP

Also, one thing I realise about myself, is that I have this tendency to feel nostalgic about things/people, specially when I'm far from them.

As an example, When a beloved relative comes to my apartment, stays for a while and them leaves, I miss them so much and for a while, when I look at things at my house or streets, I remember things we did together & start feeling so sad.

Is this Si?
Which type of waxing nostalgic would you prefer?

A. One where there is a person who made you feel really good about yourself.
B. One where there is no other person involved.

·
Banned
601 Posts
I'd say INTJ then. INTPs like puns mostly.
Whoa, hold everything right there, Sherlock! I know plenty of INTJ's (myself included) that absolutely ADORE puns.

Reactions: dulcinea
1 - 20 of 40 Posts