Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have great trouble identifying my fathers personality. He took a test giving him XSFP, but taking a cognitive functions test the most dominant functions were Fe Ni Te Se (and then Ti Si Fi Ne) which gave first possibility ENFJ, second possibility INFJ, and third ESTJ.

F/S: He is very calm, never gets angry, rarely gets upset. He is very reserved when it comes to criticism and conflict. He can take criticism very well, but is very careful to give anyone else criticism out of fear of them getting upset. It's important to him that everyone is feeling good, though he is not so good at noticing how people are feeling. When comforting people it's more his style to suggest what they may do to fix it than to just hug them and tell them it's ok to be sad.

He does not spill his emotions to everyone, but when in a comfortable situation he opens up. He sees himself as an empathic person, and I know he is there for me if I tell him to be, but I can struggle not to cry talking to him over the phone without him noticing at all.

N/S: He does not have eye for detail. When my mother changed eye color from bright blue to brown due to contact lenses he did not see it until she told him several days later.

E/I: He has been a family man, not spending much time with friends. Hardly ever without his wife. Still, he is gone for a long time doing earands because he meets someone he knows and ends up talking to them. So I have always seen him as a social, outgoing person, though he finds great comfort in traveling alone seeing beautiful places. I don't think he easily feels lonely. Maybe he has been less social to support my mother who is a strong introvert. And maybe because he is a little irresolute, doing things when others tell him to. He doesn't seem to lose or gain energy either being social or alone. He's just always ok.

J/P: He packs his bags just before he leaves, is sometimes running a little late, but never stressing about it. However, his workplace is pretty neat, and he has been putting his bills neatly in order in folders for years.

So I have really not got a clue what he is. He can be both E and I, S and N, F and T and J or P.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I am ESFJ, and I can tell he's not like me:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm leaning towards ISTP or INTP. It's my understand that having a weak eye for details can be indicative of either weak Si (INTP) or a preference for Se (ISTP).

Is he particularly mechanical in his hobbies, and if so, in what way? Is he a hands-on sort of person who likes taking things apart and putting them back together, like cars and such? Or, is he more interested in deconstructing and analyzing interpersonal systems, like philosophy, politics, information technology, etc?

If he doesn't do either of any of these things, I may be wrong to assume he has a thinking preference. He is definitely an introverted perceiver, I can say that much from what you've described!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for answering me! And sorry I'm so late at responding to your much appreciated answers:)

He might be INTP, ISTP or ISFP as you have suggested. I thought maybe ISFPs had better eyes for detail and what look aesthetically beautiful. My father does not have much clue. He doesn't like to buy clothes alone because he's afraid he'll end up with something hopeless due to his lack of ability to see what works.

When it comes to his hobbies, I don't see him as a hands on kind of person. I have never witnessed him pull something apart just to see how it works. I think he is more of an S that way.

He kind of gets hooked at one thing at the time. The latest hobby is some kind of Facebook online game called Mystery Manner, I think. He's also had a flight simulator that kept him up late at night so he could land a plane at JFK, and such :p

He likes to read, mostly thrillers an crime, and he plays the organ and piano. He is very patient, and can sit for hours practicing something.

Hope you will answer me more. Please ask questions if I have left important details out. Thanks a million :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts