Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello INFP's!

My friend has been getting more and more into this spirituality thing. Which is good, if you understand that it's not actually a thing that exists outside our minds. I can understand that everything is connected etc., but I do not believe in enlightenment (in the sense that something physical actually happens to the body).

However I do believe that the mind is connected to the body, and I can understand that you will feel better about yourself if you practice meditation, eat healthy etc.

I feel happy for my friend that he finds so much joy in this, but lately he has gotten more and more into the mumbo jumbo part of spirituality like crystals, chakras etc.

Yesterday I picked him up in my car, because we were going to go to a quiz with a couple of friends. The first thing he said to me was that something big has happened with him. I started to question him about it, and he claimed that he got an "awakening", but was not ready for it. This resulted in something he called "kundalini syndrome" (which I found out after some research, is basicly the same as stress/anxiety, and is such a load of bullshit).

I experienced the same thing after 4 days of binge drinking when I was younger. It's basically mental and physical exhaustion which I believe is the case with my friend as well, after a long time obsessing over following all these spiritual "rules".

I have never seen anyone so near a psychosis. He was very nervous and jittery, paranoid, afraid, and he only talked about these spiritual awakenings that he had. The worst part was that he would not listen to reason at all. He was dead set on this kundalini thing even when I said that I had experienced the same thing, and that it was nothing to worry about and only stress related. I'm very familiar with anxiety and mental issues, but I have never seen anything like this.

I need to get him away from this spirituality shit before he is totally disconnected with reality.

I'm afraid that he might harm himself or others, and I need your help to tell my how to approach this. Have you experienced something similar? How did you cope? How could someone calm you down?

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Spiritual awakenings have a huge impact on a person's life, both positive and negative. If he truly feels like he is experiencing a spritual awaking he could use a guide, a teacher, preferably someone who already is awakened. That kind of person is also best equipped for the job of calming him down I would say.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Leave him alone. You're making him your pygmalion project. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. Unless he's gotten himself into some cult that does mass suicides... I wouldn't worry about it.

There are so many things I wish I would have continued, but I didn't because my friends didn't agree with it. Don't take the joy away from him, just because you don't like it! Sounds like you need help, not your friend! :angry: INFP RAGEMODE ENGAGE!!! lol (last part is just a sarcastic joke :happy:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your friend is mentally ill, which seems to be what you're claiming, it's not because he's immersed himself in spirituality. Psychosis isn't caused by spirituality in the least; rather, psychotic people might assume their psychotic experiences are the result of a natural spiritual instillment. I have Bipolar I and have experienced this.

There's nothing you can do to "save" your friend, and the way you've worded your post leads me to believe you're slightly more concerned with his believing in something you don't than his mental health. :/ Your perception of reality doesn't determine reality.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,341 Posts
If its his wish let it be. To undo the roots watered by society it often seems like destruction on the outside. Just be there when he stumbles, i think he'd appreciate that. This will probably sound like bad advice, but it's a important inward journey we all seek unconsciously at some point in our life span.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Everyone as their own path to travel

if you are a true friend you should be there for him if he needs or ask for help.

Don't try and prejudge him.

I would try and be a calm warm safe area for him to go

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My question is where do you get the idea that he will harm himself or others? There wasn't anything you said eluding to that, so I'm just curious.

I believe spirituality is a great thing, but agree with the previous comment that it should be approached in a healthy mindset. True, if he is truly experiencing mental health issues, this is also the kind of thing that will attract his mind to it. But realistically, what can you do about it, really? I can't determine whether he's truly off his rocker or not from a thread post, but if he is and you've talked to him about it, coaxed him and suggested it and he's not on board, your hands are tied. There's no magic words that fix people. Short of having him involuntarily committed if you can actually prove to authorities that he's a danger to himself or others, you're on the sidelines here....

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have never seen anyone so near a psychosis. He was very nervous and jittery, paranoid, afraid, and he only talked about these spiritual awakenings that he had. The worst part was that he would not listen to reason at all. He was dead set on this kundalini thing even when I said that I had experienced the same thing, and that it was nothing to worry about and only stress related. I'm very familiar with anxiety and mental issues, but I have never seen anything like this.

I need to get him away from this spirituality shit before he is totally disconnected with reality.

I'm afraid that he might harm himself or others, and I need your help to tell my how to approach this. Have you experienced something similar? How did you cope? How could someone calm you down?
Following your description of his behavior, he seems to be in trouble to me. I think you show great care wanting to help him.
Of course, it is hard to know what causes these mental problems, and even harder to see how you can do something about it. I would suggest to ask him more about what he wants, where he got his information from, why this is important to him and if he wants you to help. Show genuine interest in his beliefs, even if you doubt them. This will give him more confidence in you as a friend he can confide in. Just saying you don't believe it, will make him close himself more. It's not bad to reason with him, but stay calm, patient and openminded. Maybe you're doing all of this already, but I wouldn't know what else to advise. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Following your description of his behavior, he seems to be in trouble to me. I think you show great care wanting to help him.
Of course, it is hard to know what causes these mental problems, and even harder to see how you can do something about it. I would suggest to ask him more about what he wants, where he got his information from, why this is important to him and if he wants you to help. Show genuine interest in his beliefs, even if you doubt them. This will give him more confidence in you as a friend he can confide in. Just saying you don't believe it, will make him close himself more. It's not bad to reason with him, but stay calm, patient and openminded. Maybe you're doing all of this already, but I wouldn't know what else to advise. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply! I wish i could help him more, but I'm a little afraid to be around him in this state. It was very unpleasant. I try my hardest to not step on his beliefs, all though I think that this "spirituality" obsession is what has caused his unhealthy mental state.

I try to respect his believes, but I think he understand that I have my doubts. I'll try to give him time and support. Thank you.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Leave him to figure things out for himself. You don't have to agree with his views to help but you can't help much without accepting him.
Save him from his grief not his spirituality. If he starts feeling secure enough on his own, he might let go of all this by himself. If not, then he won't and it's no one's job to talk him out of it.
It would probably help if you spoke his language instead of talking him out of it. Reason on his own level. Research all of this and see if you can find how to counter his stress in terms of these chakras. Not all spirituality is reasonable, but it wasn't intentionally made to harm people. There's usually some usable wisdom behind it.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Thank you for your reply! I wish i could help him more, but I'm a little afraid to be around him in this state. It was very unpleasant. I try my hardest to not step on his beliefs, all though I think that this "spirituality" obsession is what has caused his unhealthy mental state.

I try to respect his believes, but I think he understand that I have my doubts. I'll try to give him time and support. Thank you.
It's difficult to gauge from your post whether he's losing touch with reality or just exploring spirituality. If you can give examples why you think he's losing touch with reality or why you think he will harm someone it would be helpful. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of us INFPs defending your friend because INFPs generally think that someone's personal beliefs, especially in the realm of spirituality, is one's own business and in most cases, to be accepted unconditionally.

If you're afraid to be around him in this state, this is usually a red flag to tell someone so he can get help. But, what makes you feel uneasy? His "delusions" of chakras and auras, or is he saying anything remotely related to harming himself or others?

More info please.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's difficult to gauge from your post whether he's losing touch with reality or just exploring spirituality.
I agree with this. It's hard to say based on your post whether you're just overly interfering with your friend's spiritual journey or if he's actually in some sort of danger developing first-episode psychosis. So more info would be appreciated.

There's something called the prodromal phase of schizophrenia which is the "first signs" of oncoming psychosis before it fully blows up. It may include depression, anxiety and brief and less severe psychotic symptoms like hallucinations and delusions. I think you could do some research on these prodromal symptoms and see how well they fit your friend. If you conclude that this is something that is going on with your friend you should take him to a doctor as soon as possible. The prognosis is much better if the treatment is started before the first actual psychosis.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with this. It's hard to say based on your post whether you're just overly interfering with your friend's spiritual journey or if he's actually in some sort of danger developing first-episode psychosis. So more info would be appreciated.

There's something called the prodromal phase of schizophrenia which is the "first signs" of oncoming psychosis before it fully blows up. It may include depression, anxiety and brief and less severe psychotic symptoms like hallucinations and delusions. I think you could do some research on these prodromal symptoms and see how well they fit your friend. If you conclude that this is something that is going on with your friend you should take him to a doctor as soon as possible. The prognosis is much better if the treatment is started before the first actual psychosis.
Before taking him to the doctor, the worrying friend should think all of the possibilities that can be used to help the assumed ill person recover faster and more safely, plus he will give his personal thanks which is far more rewarding than relying on a medical professional to solve it. This is quite important to think about when having a mentally ill friend who could potentially be a danger to himself or others.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
820 Posts
the worrying friend should think all of the possibilities that can be used to help the assumed ill person recover faster and more safely
Do you have any examples what are these ways you can make anyone recover faster and more safely?

more rewarding than relying on a medical professional to solve it
I know it's nowadays in fashion to criticize the medical field but maybe these persons actually have some knowledge and insight to these matters that a layman doesn't.

a mentally ill friend who could potentially be a danger to himself or others.
Let's hypothesize you have a friend who's in danger of harming himself or others, how will you make sure this doesn't happen?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Has he been taking drugs or medicinal herbs? Is he a danger to himself or others?

Chakras are just the energy centers of the body. Everybody has them. It is just a language used to describe what we all know intuitively. Think of where you feel lust? Love comes from near your heart. When you feel love your heart chakra is activated. Ever feel that tightness and sort of an ache in your throat when you're feeling strong emotions you have not yet spoken? That is a blockage of the throat chakra. It's really not that mysterious, it only sounds mysterious.

Crystals really do chanel energy. When you apply electricity to crystals they vibrate at a certain frequency. That is how a quartz watch tells time. For every certain number of oscillations (vibrations) the electrified crystal makes the watch clicks over one second. Because the oscillations are predictable the watch is very accurate. Remove the electricity and the watch stops. Dead battery, no vibration.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I think spirituality is built into us. We all want to escape this mortal coil, or at least achieve some kind of enlightenment. It's weird, when something bad happens to strong, intelligent people, they either turn to spirituality or kill themselves.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That's possible. I see no reason to believe that digging into spirituality is always positive or that it should be immune to questioning. Don't hide away from him. I think it's a positive, healthy thing that people with different beliefs keep in touch. As a christian myself, I don't mind that my beliefs are questioned. Especially if it comes from friends and is done in a calm way, it doesn't show disrespect, but rather care. Being criticized makes one think, so it is just another way to grow, change and eventually know better why you believe what you believe.

·
Retired Administrator
18,134 Posts
Hello INFP's!

My friend has been getting more and more into this spirituality thing. Which is good, if you understand that it's not actually a thing that exists outside our minds. I can understand that everything is connected etc., but I do not believe in enlightenment (in the sense that something physical actually happens to the body).

However I do believe that the mind is connected to the body, and I can understand that you will feel better about yourself if you practice meditation, eat healthy etc.

I feel happy for my friend that he finds so much joy in this, but lately he has gotten more and more into the mumbo jumbo part of spirituality like crystals, chakras etc.

Yesterday I picked him up in my car, because we were going to go to a quiz with a couple of friends. The first thing he said to me was that something big has happened with him. I started to question him about it, and he claimed that he got an "awakening", but was not ready for it. This resulted in something he called "kundalini syndrome" (which I found out after some research, is basicly the same as stress/anxiety, and is such a load of bullshit).

I experienced the same thing after 4 days of binge drinking when I was younger. It's basically mental and physical exhaustion which I believe is the case with my friend as well, after a long time obsessing over following all these spiritual "rules".

Well, you haven't said anything that suggests he's going to hurt himself or others. But if you feel like your friend is near psychotic, you might want to gently encourage him (not necessarily by telling him to do things, but perhaps suggest you do them together) to sleep enough, to pay attention to basic needs of the physical body like eating.

Perhaps see if he would like to go for a walk, sit in the sun, go swimming, go out to eat some light fare like salad or vegetarian food (of course only exercise if he's had enough sleep and food). Maybe go look at some art that is fairly peaceful, a garden, or play with some pet animal, possibly feed the birds or something. These are some non-invasive things that might help him feel more anchored.

5,146 Posts
Hello INFP's!

Had two such episodes with Christianity. I realised it's all in my head and only then felt better.

I suspect it's his Fi or whatever warning him that it's all a sham.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts