Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've only just recently heard about these personality types and am fascinated. I did a long test and it typed me as INFJ, though the NFJ parts were all pretty low in percentage. This is maybe why when I've done other tests I've got variations of Ixxx. But the longer tests and the official one give me INFJ and when I read summaries of all the types I do think I fit best with it than any other but I'm not entirely sure because it's not a complete "omg that's so me!" feeling I get.

I've seen people type celebrities and stuff in here and I'm blown away by the knowledge of some people so I'd really appreciate a confirmation (or not) of whether I'm INFJ or not.

I'll try to describe what I feel are the main points of my personality.

- I've always felt different. That sounds like such a cliched teenager thing to say (though I'm 32!) but it's true. This was more pronounced in my teenage years (I idolised Marilyn Manson) but I still feel it now. I guess I just never feel aligned with the mainstream often.

- I'm kind of rebellious. If someone tells me I can't do something it'll make me want to do it. At the very least I will question it. I question a lot. I want to know the reason behind things. I hate rules for the sake of rules. I'm a punk at heart - question authority etc ;-)

- I have a strong opinion on being yourself and never mind what other people think. I hate conformity. I hate tradition. I hate doing things a certain way just because that's the way they're always done.

- I'm cautious. I think a lot. I have an incredible amount of self-control - too much probably. I think before I speak, act, everything. I'm not impulsive. I analyse a lot. I'm the kind of person who will make a spreadsheet with pros and cons and review verdicts of different products when I'm buying a tv or something.

- I'm a perfectionist. But I can also be lazy lol I can tolerate mess for a while until I just can't stand it anymore and need to tidy before I can do anything else.

- I'm not particularly quiet, in fact I can be pretty talkative and come across as quite confident in certain settings but in a way I think this is a sort of facade I put on. I'm a definite introvert and deep down lack self confidence. I'm just very good at pretending/acting/putting on a show.

- I'm guarded emotionally except with people I'm extremely close to. This would be with 1 or 2 people at most. With everyone else I would never show or admit to being upset or depressed or anything. I grew up not being able to talk about my emotions at all. I didn't know how to. I do feel like I developed during my 20s to be able to do this better so that's why I can do it with people closest to me but with everyone else I don't think I could if I tried. It's alien to me. It's like I don't know how. But I can write my feelings really well. I don't know why that is. So it's not like I don't have the words to express my emotions because I can on paper. Speaking them though, I have a block there.

- I'm very protective of people I care about. I'd say moreso than normal. And it's like if someone hurts someone I love they hurt me just as bad. I'll stick up for loved ones possibly more than they'd stick up for themselves. Part of the reason I don't tell my family the times I've been depressed or whatever is because I want to protect them from worrying.

- I've always been the kind of person people come to for advice. I've never understood why. Whether it's because I listen well or give good advice, I don't know. But I've always been that person and I've always found it easy to offer advice and console people and I guess at least try to make them feel better if they're worried about something. I feel like I can easily understand their worries but offer a new perspective to help them stop worrying/feel better. (This is quite opposite to how I never go to other people with my own worries. My own worries just build up inside me I guess with not much of an outlet)

- When I am passionate about something I will be full of enthusiasm and excitement. I can be very dedicated and enthusiastic at times. (This fluctuates with self-doubt and apathy).

- I don't believe in any kind of psychic-ness at all but I do think I can read people really well, better than most. I'm quite analytical of people and can kind of get vibes from people too. I'm not always 100% right though.

- I'm into computer science but from a human perspective (human computer interaction). I'm not so much into how computers work, more about how people interact with computers - the psychology and other factors.

- My interests lie in punk (outcasts lol), comic books (nerds), board games. I love a quiet cafe for a coffee with a friend or 2. Hate busy noisy places. Hate loud, shouty people. I hate clubbing, I hate soaps, I hate "womens' magazines", I hate chart music, I hate "comedy" movies with nothing but 1000 sexual innuendos as jokes (I prefer dry, sarcastic, sometimes dark humour), I'll probably hate whatever genre novel is a bestseller right now but love anything like george orwell, fyodor dostoevsky, margaret atwood.

- I'd say I'm quite sensitive but not neurotically so.

- I have a slight arrogant streak. Very slight but if I'm honest it's there. But it's weird because I'm also very very humble, not boastful at all and will play down my achievements, and I also generally have low self-esteem and am very self-conscious.

- I'm a bit of a "chancer"! If you don't ask you don't get! (I've achieved a lot of things simply by pushing my luck a little)

- Lying is one of the things I hate most in the world.

OK, I really didn't mean to write so much but that's me. If you have any questions please ask :happy: And thanks!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not everything you've listed here is really telling of the types. Behaviors and habits transcend through multiple types. For instance, I have ExTx but I still love to read and spend excessive time on the internet, which are both cliche IxFx behaviors.

What's most important is what your functions are.

An INFJ has the functions:
Ni - Fe - Ti - Se

This might help you understand if you haven't already read it:
http://personalitycafe.com/infj-articles/75929-most-accurate-analysis-infj.html

My personal opinion is that you are an INFJ.

Once you've grasped your type, you can look into enneagram which could explain a few loose ends.

MBTI is more like a frame that each person fits in differently. It's not so detailed and doesn't fit everyone perfectly. Enneagram is much more specific and handles deeper issues, so to speak.

Hope this helps somehow.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I do not know that much about type, but the long "official" test have me as INFJ over a 25 year period. I will not try to type, but resonate with everything you say - Your studies(?) - the human factor and computer/human interface - interests me. Now, I am dyslectic, disorganized, and could not design a simple spreadsheet.

I think, whatever I am, you are also, and we both have been well tested to INFJ. Remember, that is a preferred behavior habit in a particular set of conditions, and we are infinitely variable as conditions change.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much. That link especially has made me think even more that I'm INFJ.

I did a (paid) Enneacard test and I'm not sure how to translate it into the XwX, XwX XwX things that I keep seeing on here. Also, to be honest, I found the test really difficult and I'm not sure that if I did it again I'd get the same results. But for what it's worth I got:

Overall Type: 5
Top Card Type: 5
Wing: 4
Tritype: 548
Instinctual Stacking:Sexual > Self-Preservation > Social

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
You have a remarkable level of self-awareness. I s'pose this is something that comes with age, but I have always admired that in people.

It seems like the older an INFJ gets the "more INFJ" s/he becomes. It's a pattern I've noticed over my time here, and you would definitely seem to conform with this principle :)

I've observed them to be full of "contradictions" (fluctuating enthusiasm and apathy you mentioned stands out to me especially) that appear to exist peaceably in one vessel but actually make the INFJ in question feel... well, as you said, different.

You also sound like a deeply intelligent INFJ - what with the Type 5 and the characteristic strong writing skills :)
And yet people confide in you.

I don't think I have yet to stumble upon a "more INFJ" What's my Personality Type thread.

Welcome :kitteh:

EDIT: And I totally understand the "chance-i-ness" you mentioned at the end!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, thank you! I think I do know myself very well and have a good level of insight.

As I said, I find all of this really fascinating, especially since previously I believed that you can't really put people in boxes but many of the INFJ characteristics are me. My boyfriend did the test and came out as INTP and he is the most typical INTP that it's actually creepy reading the descriptions! So I guess you can categorise people!

Thanks for the welcome. Cool place :kitteh:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Overall Type: 5
Top Card Type: 5
Wing: 4
Tritype: 548
Instinctual Stacking:Sexual > Self-Preservation > Social

To translate this to the form you see here you would be:

5w4 4wX 8wX sx/sp

Your 4 wing would be 3 or 5. 8 wing 7 or 9.
Those are things you can research and decide through your own perception.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts