Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

The things that drive me are my children and my wife, learning something about everything, being able to have the freedom to do what I want to do, and being able to adapt and win in any situation that comes up.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I want to have the freedom to do as I please, and the money that provides that freedom. To study what I want to study, to travel, and pretty much be the master of my own universe. I want to make sure my children are prepared for the life ahead of them, and I want them to be able to think for themselves. I love writing songs, but it's just for me, and I don't care if anyone else ever likes any of it. I want to sit and look at the ocean while I strum on my guitar, and then go back inside for some time with the wife.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I never want to be a bad father. I never want to be without money or freedom. I value independence, free thought, and equality for everyone. I want everyone to be happy and live their own lives; just don't screw with mine.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

I fear for my children (and others who can't take care of themselves), that something bad might happen to them. I don't fear being alone, but deep down I always feel alone. Other than that, I'm not really afraid of anything.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I want people to see me as hard working, intelligent, attractive, adaptable, loyal, and "good". I see myself that way, most of the time. Other times I think I'm overly cynical and I can be harsh with those close to me.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

I feel the best when I'm working hard and everything comes together for me. I also feel my best when everything in my home life is problem-free. I feel my worst when I think people think I'm the cause of a problem. Like fighting with my wife, or if someone takes something I said the wrong way. I hate being looked at as a bad guy or anything less than Mr. Awesome I guess.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

I always carry a bit of anger with me. When I get really angry, it's the seeing-red hulking-out angry.

Shame is probably the worst thing for me. It starts as anger I guess (a lot of my emotions are tied to anger in some way it seems) and then leads to shame. But most of the time I'm not ashamed at all when I should be, and I feel shame when I shouldn't.

Anxiety can show up in a few different ways. In one way, it almost turns me into a manic lunatic. That's when I'm worried about my kids or something. Other anxiety seems almost pleasant. It spurs me into action, and I get to maneuver through whatever the problem is, solving the hell out of it.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

With stress, I just push it down. That's why I have stomach problems. Unexpected change can be very exciting. I feel very powerful while it's going on. I try to avoid conflict most of the time, because most of the time it is useless and is just a waste of energy. If it is directly involved with me or my family, I won't stop until I win. I do cause a little conflict from time to time, but nothing serious and only in discussions. No, I have started fights before because I thought someone was picking on someone else. I can be very protective of people.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

Authority means very little to me. In fact, it can really piss me off. Power is power. It's great if you have it and it sucks if you don't. I don't need power (in fact I wish no one did, and that everyone would just mind their own business and live their lives), but I put myself in a position so that if I need power, and can reach out and grab it whenever I want without breaking a sweat.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

Life can be beautiful, and it can be awful. It's not good or evil; it's both. I try to sail along the path that offers me the best possible experience and the most pleasure, and also leaves me in the best possible position. I will help anyone who asks me for help, if they need it, but I'm not going out of my way to try and solve the world's problems. We're human, and no matter what we solve, we'll screw it up again. It's up to me to create a "good" life for the people around me. No one else will do it for me. But, if they do, I'll sure as hell let them.

@Dark Romantic you're the one who suggested I look into this, so take a look if you get a chance.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Ahhh! Everyone's caught me in a good mood today; I'll do an in-depth one for you, as well.

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

The things that drive me are my children and my wife, learning something about everything, being able to have the freedom to do what I want to do, and being able to adapt and win in any situation that comes up.
Breadth of experience and intellectual stimulation suggests seven, freedom suggests type 7, and the bit about adapting to come out on top is indicative of an eight-wing.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I want to have the freedom to do as I please, and the money that provides that freedom. To study what I want to study, to travel, and pretty much be the master of my own universe. I want to make sure my children are prepared for the life ahead of them, and I want them to be able to think for themselves. I love writing songs, but it's just for me, and I don't care if anyone else ever likes any of it. I want to sit and look at the ocean while I strum on my guitar, and then go back inside for some time with the wife.
More of a seven-fix on freedom. Freedom of action, freedom of thought, freedom of desire. There is more that suggests an eight-wing: there will be more of a focus on mastering the world around them, of conquering the environment with the next great adventure, and of winning. There's also a lack of the desire for approval; 7w6s tend to want everyone to like them, while 7w8s don't tend to care: we like it when you do, of course, but we aren't too fussed if you don't. There's also a bit of a process-focus here, rather than the experience-focus that you tend to get with 7w6s (so, 7w8s will say "I want to do", 7w6s will say "I want to be").

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I never want to be a bad father. I never want to be without money or freedom. I value independence, free thought, and equality for everyone. I want everyone to be happy and live their own lives; just don't screw with mine.
\

Haha! That's pretty indicative of 7w8: pretty much "I want to do my own thing. Stay out of my way, and go do yours".

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

I fear for my children (and others who can't take care of themselves), that something bad might happen to them. I don't fear being alone, but deep down I always feel alone. Other than that, I'm not really afraid of anything.
Hm... not too indicative of any type, here; most parents are concerned with the well-being of their children, and the bit about others who can't take care of themselves is pretty eightish. So, I'd say this suggests either core 8, or an 8-fix.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I want people to see me as hard working, intelligent, attractive, adaptable, loyal, and "good". I see myself that way, most of the time. Other times I think I'm overly cynical and I can be harsh with those close to me.
Funny, I used pretty much the same words in my questionnaire. Hard working, intelligent, attractive, adaptable... these are all traits that sevens (7w8s are the ones who are more likely to be hardworking, but this can apply to w6s as well) like to believe of themselves. Harsh cynicism is indicative of an eight-wing, or core 8, though it can also be a trait of sixes and ones, as well (I'm inclined to think it's evidence of disintegration to type 1, personally).

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

I feel the best when I'm working hard and everything comes together for me. I also feel my best when everything in my home life is problem-free. I feel my worst when I think people think I'm the cause of a problem. Like fighting with my wife, or if someone takes something I said the wrong way. I hate being looked at as a bad guy or anything less than Mr. Awesome I guess.
That makes sense. Every seven really wants to work at something we enjoy fully, but the problem is, we spend so much time on the lookout for the next big thing, that we often fail to enjoy what we have. It doesn't come as a surprise that you would enjoy work that just feels right; it's actually what all sevens are searching for, even though most of us don't know it. Naturally, you wouldn't like problems at home; this could be indicative of any of the types for different reasons, though. The bolded bit is interesting, though, because it might give a clue towards your heart fix: I'm thinking 3, just on a hunch, but it could easily be 2 or 4 (depends on whether or not your image is mainly service tied, achievement-tied, or authenticity-tied).

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

I always carry a bit of anger with me. When I get really angry, it's the seeing-red hulking-out angry.
I can relate. Feels good to indulge, though, provided you don't cause any lasting damage. :cool:

Shame is probably the worst thing for me. It starts as anger I guess (a lot of my emotions are tied to anger in some way it seems) and then leads to shame. But most of the time I'm not ashamed at all when I should be, and I feel shame when I shouldn't.
Same here, although it's a cyclical process of anger, then a flash of shame, then supreme anger and rationalization to get rid of it.

Anxiety can show up in a few different ways. In one way, it almost turns me into a manic lunatic. That's when I'm worried about my kids or something. Other anxiety seems almost pleasant. It spurs me into action, and I get to maneuver through whatever the problem is, solving the hell out of it.
Hm... the second answer is somewhat reminiscent of a counterphobic 6, though since I relate to the whole "anxiety spur" thing, I suppose it can apply to sevens as well. I wouldn't really call it anxiety at that point, though; it's more of a fluid hyperfocus that lets you see everything possible (I love it when I'm in that state of mind).

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

With stress, I just push it down. That's why I have stomach problems. Unexpected change can be very exciting. I feel very powerful while it's going on. I try to avoid conflict most of the time, because most of the time it is useless and is just a waste of energy. If it is directly involved with me or my family, I won't stop until I win.
Hmm... this is reminiscent of core 8, at least, the bit about not stopping until you win (then again, I'm pretty relentless if there's anything in the way of something I want). It reminds me of 7w8: more conflict avoidant until things are important, the desire to keep energy levels up, which suggests that conflict in itself doesn't really energize you. I'm a 7w8, and it does energize me, just not when I deem it an unimportant distraction. It also resembles 8w9, in the whole "doesn't move until provoked" type of deal most 8w9s have going on. And, of course, the power-focus is suggestive of core 8, or at least, an 8 wing.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

Authority means very little to me. In fact, it can really piss me off. Power is power. It's great if you have it and it sucks if you don't. I don't need power (in fact I wish no one did, and that everyone would just mind their own business and live their lives), but I put myself in a position so that if I need power, and can reach out and grab it whenever I want without breaking a sweat.
Interesting. This suggests, again, 7w8, mainly because there isn't too much of an interest in exercising control, but more of a focus on keeping the ability to be free in your grasp. There's also an egalitarian attitude, here, which is common to sevens. On the other hand, it doesn't discount core 8, either; eights take control of situations in order to avoid being controlled, so it's possible that this could be coming out of an eightish desire to avoid being controlled, as well.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

Life can be beautiful, and it can be awful. It's not good or evil; it's both. I try to sail along the path that offers me the best possible experience and the most pleasure. I will help anyone who asks me for help, if they need it, but I'm not going out of my way to try and solve the world's problems. We're human, and no matter what we solve, we'll screw it up again. It's up to me to create a "good" life for the people around me. No one else will do it for me. But, if they do, I'll sure as hell let them.
The first bolded sentence suggests 7, the second is a typically eightish sentiment, and the last sentence is vaguely sevenish, as well.

All in all, I'd say you're most likely to be a 7w8. There is also a possibility of 8w7, however; I'm more inclined to say you're a 7w8 with an eight-fix. Those were pretty much the only types that stood out from the results, so it's a safe bet to make.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I've been reading up on the stuff in those links you sent me. I still can't decide if I'm 7 or 8, or if they're part of the tritype or what.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Thanks man. I've been reading up on the stuff in those links you sent me. I still can't decide if I'm 7 or 8, or if they're part of the tritype or what.
If you're having trouble deciding between the two, chances are that you're a 7w8. In my experience, eights usually have an easy time knowing that they're eights (though, in some cases, there's a bit of debate), and it's usually pretty clear that they're eights to anybody who interacts with them (eights, in my experience, are the type that stands out more than any other).

Doesn't prove you're a seven, of course; just makes it a bit more likely. You'll have to do a bit more research to find out: I'd recommend following these two links if you're looking for more info:

Mindheart Type 7 Description
Mindheart Type 8 Description

They've got a separate page for each wing, so that should come in handy.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
What parts of the four description stood out the most to you? 784 sounds about right for you (in fact, it's my tritype as well), but I'd rather be certain here.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can be withdrawn and moody, reserved, and I'm very creative. I like to experience things that create moods or vibes. I see myself as different than others and think that the way other people think/act/behave/live is wrong, but at the same time sometimes I feel like I don't have a true "me" or identity like they do.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I can be withdrawn and moody, reserved, and I'm very creative. I like to experience things that create moods or vibes. I see myself as different than others and think that the way other people think/act/behave/live is wrong, but at the same time sometimes I feel like I don't have a true "me" or identity like they do.
Do you consider yourself ambitous, in any way?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes and no. I am, but I have problems following through with everything. I'm not a cut-throat, but I do what I think I need to do in order to get what I want. But other times all I want to do is sit around and play my guitar and write songs all day.

I don't know if that answers your question.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Yes and no. I am, but I have problems following through with everything. I'm not a cut-throat, but I do what I think I need to do in order to get what I want. But other times all I want to do is sit around and play my guitar and write songs all day.

I don't know if that answers your question.
Sorry, my question didn't come out right. What I should have asked was; are you prone to envy? If so, how does it manifest itself?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, not envy. I wish people the best. I think I can say envy is one thing I've never been troubled by.

Do you mean like "keeping up with the Jones'"? I'm not really that way. I like to have nice things because I enjoy having nice things. My grandfather (who farmed the same land I now farm) always used to say, "It only costs a little bit more to go first class". That's one motto I live by I guess. I don't blow money on lots of things, but when I want something, I'll buy the good one. That isn't envy of what others have; it's just for my own satisfaction.

I'm typing this on an iPod so it's sorta hard to keep up with what I've written. Sorry if it's a mess.

Is any of this helping?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
No, not envy. I wish people the best. I think I can say envy is one thing I've never been troubled by.

Do you mean like "keeping up with the Jones'"? I'm not really that way. I like to have nice things because I enjoy having nice things. My grandfather (who farmed the same land I now farm) always used to say, "It only costs a little bit more to go first class". That's one motto I live by I guess. I don't blow money on lots of things, but when I want something, I'll buy the good one. That isn't envy of what others have; it's just for my own satisfaction.

I'm typing this on an iPod so it's sorta hard to keep up with what I've written. Sorry if it's a mess.

Is any of this helping?
It is, yeah (I think I'm getting a picture of your variants, as well). I brought envy up, because 3s and 4s are both known for experiencing a lot of envy, though in different ways (I think this applies mainly to 3w4 and 4w3, but I could be wrong). However, what you've said so far hasn't made me think 3 would be suitable as your heart fix, and out of 2 vs. 4, I think 4 is more likely. I wouldn't rule out a 2-fix, but I'd say 7w8-8w9-4w5 is most likely to be your tritype.

Have you looked into your variants, as well?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is, yeah (I think I'm getting a picture of your variants, as well). I brought envy up, because 3s and 4s are both known for experiencing a lot of envy, though in different ways (I think this applies mainly to 3w4 and 4w3, but I could be wrong). However, what you've said so far hasn't made me think 3 would be suitable as your heart fix, and out of 2 vs. 4, I think 4 is more likely. I wouldn't rule out a 2-fix, but I'd say 7w8-8w9-4w5 is most likely to be your tritype.

Have you looked into your variants, as well?
Okay, 7w8 8w9 4wX was what I was already thinking, so maybe were getting it.

No, haven't looked into variants yet.

Thanks man. I have some more info I might PM you later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts