Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what most INTP Enneagram results were.

It seems as though many people do not bother with the Enneagram (for whatever reasons). However, I think that needs to change. The Enneagram forums are not nearly as posted on as the MBTI ones.

If you don't know, please look up what the Enneagram is. I have posted about it before at this link: Helpful Information On The Enneagram: Websites, Demonstrations, and Tests

If you just don't like the Enneagram, please explain. Any and all thoughts pertaining to this information is welcomed.

I have posted this on other forums as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I scored as a 2 the other day. Wtf.

I'm a type 9w1, but I might also be a 4w5 or a 5w4.

I think INTPs tend to be 5w4s.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did my enneagram. It was type 8 I think. But when I read it, I didn't really care to be honest. Reminded me of horoscopes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did my enneagram. It was type 8 I think. But when I read it, I didn't really care to be honest. Reminded me of horoscopes.
Interesting. I have never heard anyone relate it to horoscopes. If you don't mind me asking, what made you feel that way?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I felt the same way. It feels scattershot, as if I fit into no single group more than any other. The descriptions for the groups are too small and too general. I've taken it twice, got different answers both times, and never really felt like what was described was anything that was truly me. Unlike the INTP description, which is ridiculously accurate to who I am; although, I'm starting to feel now that I'm not "always" INTP (I might have some INTJ tendencies), I would still call myself an INTP simply for how close the description is.

Reactions: slightlycrazed

·
Registered
201 Posts
I felt the same way. It feels scattershot, as if I fit into no single group more than any other. The descriptions for the groups are too small and too general. I've taken it twice, got different answers both times, and never really felt like what was described was anything that was truly me. Unlike the INTP description, which is ridiculously accurate to who I am; although, I'm starting to feel now that I'm not "always" INTP (I might have some INTJ tendencies), I would still call myself an INTP simply for how close the description is.
If it helps any, the descriptions aren't very useful. Enneagram strikes me as useful only as a self-diagnosing tool. 'Where does all my focus go and why? What am I fixated upon in life? What motivates me? What am I scared of, deep down? What neurotic cycle do I trap myself in?' My self-awareness sucks so having general categories to think around first helped a lot. It takes a bit of time, though. The 5w6 behavioural descriptions fit me to a 'T' but I'm a 3w2 which, if you go by the descriptions, make me sound like an ESxP…!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting. I have never heard anyone relate it to horoscopes. If you don't mind me asking, what made you feel that way?
I felt similar when I looked into the Enneagram. To me it just felt really subjective and all a bit wishy-washy. Compared to MBTI (and especially when I dug a bit further into cognitive function theory) it seemed to lack any substance in how profiles are built and therefore how insightful they felt to me.

When I started reading about functions and types and shadows and all that (I don't buy every word) it made a lot of sense to me and seemed to help me immensely in understanding myself, and also gaining some insight on others and how I might change the way I interact with them or better understand what may be important to them. On top of this, to assess where another person may be coming from and therefore to try and get on harmoniously with them was relatively easy. You quickly assess whether you think they are 'this' or 'that' on four separate categories, thus making up a 'type' that they may be, and how they may think about things, and I can come to them from a greater understanding of their probable perspective.

When it came to the Enneagram, it seemed that there wasn't as much you could do to try and guess someone's type, and then on top of that if you hadn't memorized the nine types and how different wings may affect that person's view on something, it was fairly useless to try and use this tool to enhance an interaction with another person.

With the Enneagram I felt I would be better off just asking myself "what seems to be most important to this person in this situation, as best as I can guess from what I know about them?" With MBTI I felt like my understanding of how someone may be similar or different in both perspective and decision-making processes to me, based on an educated guess, seemed far more beneficial and substantial.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Most INTPs type 5 or 9. or both!

At first I didn't like enneagram. Mostly because I was equally 5 and 9. In the last year I've found it useful in its own right. I've decided I'm probably a 9. What I like about enneagram is it helps you clearly see the problems in your life and gives you a roadmap to self improvement. It also helps understand relationships better than MBTI

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
As for wings, I have seen the majority of INTP typed as 5w4's over 5w6's and the common secondary type (tritype) seems to be 9.
Yeah -- typically either 5's (ITP), 5w4's, or 9's (INP)... something like that.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
5w6 here.

I don't care enough to like or dislike it, I can relate to almost all types and that devalues the enneagram imo. It is not as accurate as socionics or mbti either, not even close.

And as the other posters said, I'd like to stay far far away from astrology, mysticism and healing stones(lmfao). Currently the enneagram is on that list, until proven otherwise by a study measuring correlations and truth-potency, I have the idea that too much 'forer' is going on in the describtions.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Part of the problem is that I'm Type 9 (the peacemakers...) and a forum with nothing but other Type 9s would be *boring*. And somebody has to keep the Type 5 INTP super-rationals in line! I don't think you want to see undiluted Type 5 INTPs.... For some odd reason, the phrase "there will be blood" comes to mind!

·
Registered
331 Posts
5w4
I just find MBTI easier to work with, it seems more helpful for my way of approaching the world. Nothing in particular against eneagram, and I do want to get more familiar with it at some point, just my priority for now is MBTI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts