Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is it worse to fail at something or never attempt it in the first place?
Depends. Some things, like learning a language or how to play an instrument, require a lot of trial and error. If you fail at skydiving, you're dead.

2. If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?
I'm not sure. Maybe I've watched too many Sci-Fi shows where people travel in time, but I would be concerned with the thing I change having a huge effect on everything else.

3. To what extent do you shape your own destiny, and how much is down to fate?
It depends. I guess you could call me a compatible determinist.

4. What happens after we die?
We become worm food. Apart from that, I don't know.

5. Should people care more about doing the right thing, or doing things right?
Both. You can kill someone the 'right' way (like right through the heart) but that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. Doing the 'right thing' is also complicated, because to some people that would mean executing someone because they are LGBT or Jewish or something.

6. What one piece of advice would you offer to a newborn infant?
How would I be able to talk to an infant in a way that they would understand me?

7. Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
It's an invisible line.

8. What is true happiness?
The feeling of being connected and content with everyone and everything around you and beyond, for all time and through all space. Pretty much being high as hell :)

9. What things hold you back from doing the things that you really want to?
Me. And sometimes other people or lack of money.

10. What makes you, you?
I'm not sure. It's hard to tell since I am me; but anyone elses answer to that question would be limited by the fact that they aren't me.

11. What is the truth?
I don't think there is a "truth" with a capital T. If there is, nobody would be able to handle it... Now that isn't to say I'm a complete relative moralist. I think there are certain things, like infant circumscision, that should be forbidden regardless of cultural or religious beliefs.

12. If lying is wrong, are white lies okay?
Of course that dress doesn't make you look fat!

13. How do you know your perceptions are real?
The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't know.

14. What makes a good friend?
Being nice, but being able to be honest. Like with question 12, a good response would be "a black band shirt is better than that form fitting shirt with orange and green horizontal stripes"

15. Why do people fear losing things that they do not even have yet?
Perhaps they are drawing upon past experiences of loss? Like they picture themselves in a position where, for example, they have a car and then it gets stolen or wrecked. They think about this Worst Possible Scenerio because their friends car got totaled or their brother got their car broken into. They don't even have a car yet, but are still worried about these possibilities that aren't even possible since they don't have the car. It might be a distraction from worries they do have, like having midterms at school. It might be because their life is relatively worry-free (good apartment, stable job, etc.) and they don't want anything to potentially shake that up.

16. Who decides what morality is?
I hope this makes sense, because it's hard for me to explain: Morality is both macro and micro. Small groups, like friends and families and communities based on interests like music or sports. Larger groups, like religious and poltical organizations. All the people in these groups also have their own sense of morality, which in part relfects upon and can change the morality of the group. Some people in groups might 'rebel' against the prevailing morality or they may help *change* the beliefs, like a queer child in a Christian household, depending on the beliefs of the other members.

17. What is the difference between living and being alive?
Living is a biological state. Being alive is a mental/spiritual existence.

18. Is a “wrong” act okay if nobody ever knows about it?
If nobody knows about or is affected by something that you did, the only way it could be considered "wrong" is if you think it is.

19. Is there a reason to life?
Not really. I know that may sound depressing, but I see it as just a statement of fact.

20. How do you know that your experience of consciousness is the same as other people’s experience of consciousness?
It isn't. There's a guy named Thomas Nagel who talks about this way better than I ever could in an article called What Is It Like To Be A Bat.

21. What is true strength?
Knowing there is always going to be someone stronger than you at something.

22. What is true love?
To answer that, you would have to determine what fake love is.

23. Is a family still relevant in the modern world?
Yes. I think what is important here is defining what 'family' means.

24. What role does honor play in today’s society?
Depends. Some people see honor as a foundation, and take personal pride in upholding it. Some see it as a means to an end, or as something that can be manipulated to maximize their ability to control others. Others see it as something sort of antiquated but nolstagic.

25. If money cannot buy happiness, can you ever be truly happy with no money?
In our capitalist society, we need money to survive. I'm not sure someone could be happy if they don't have food. If they are, they won't be for long, because they would soon be dead.

26. How should people live their lives?
For the maximum pleasure possible, while not infringing on the rights and freedoms of others. Basically a utilitarian utopia.

27. How much control do you have over your life?
Depends on the circumstance. I guess you could call me a compatible determinist. (See answer to question 3)

28. What is freedom?
An illusion. We are all controlled by our environment or/and we are controlling it.

29. Isn’t one person’s terrorist another person’s freedom fighter?
To the American Army, ISIS are terrorists. To ISIS, the Americans are terrorists.

30. Does nature shape our personalities more than nurture?
I think both are important factors. Some people are more prone to having conditions like Schizophrenia (nature) but the environment (nuture) you live in affects how you deal with it. There's some interesting studies that have shown people with Schizophrenia who live in Western cultures seem to see/hear more negative *delusions* while people in Eastern cultures often see and hear deceased family members, or they are able to integrate the *visions*. Another example could be with LGBT people. The genetics (nature) are there, but the persons upbringing (nuture) will determine whether they are 'out' or not, and whether they will deal with feelings of shame or be able to accept who they are.

31. What defines you?
I'm not sure what defines me. I guess it would depend on who you ask.

32. What do people strive for after enlightenment?
Most people who call themselves "enlightened" seem to have their head so far up their ass they can almost see the light. If you think you're enlightened, you probably aren't.

33. Do we have a soul?
If we do, I don't think it's anything like the Christians believe.

34. What is intelligence?
What kind of intelligence do you mean? Like social intelligence or classic IQ? And how is that determined? There has to be a standard, but it's also important to understand that the standard is biased (like how many IQ tests favor people who were educated in a Eurocentric fashion, or how people with a disability might seem to underperform when they would have a higher score if the impairment was accomodiated)

35. Do you make your own decisions, or let others make them for you?
You tell me ;)

36. What is reality?
I'm not sure.

37. Is trust more important than love?
You can't have love without trust, so yes.

38. Is it easier to love or be loved?
Both and neither are easier.

39. Is it better to love and lose or never to love?
Depends on the end result. If someone kills themselves after a breakup, it would probably be better for them to have never dated the person.

40. Do aliens exist?
It's way more probable than not.

---

I took the test at sociotype.com and got the following result:
EII-0 FiNe (INFj) Ethical Intuitive Introvert

It said I could also be:
IEE (ENFp): 82%
EIE (ENFj): 77%
IEI (INFp): 76%

On the MBTI tests I typically rate as as INFP or slightly (like within 50-something percent "exroverted") ENFP but I do gather my strength internally, so I would put myself as INF

·
Registered
951 Posts
On the MBTI tests I typically rate as as INFP or slightly (like within 50-something percent "exroverted") ENFP but I do gather my strength internally, so I would put myself as INF
Oh, and also so you know, socionics doesn't define extroversion quite like that - while gathering energy when alone is still generally an introverted trait, a lot else can affect your energy levels.

Extroversion: "Perceives world as objects. Extrapolates ties between objects from characteristics of objects. Influences relationships between objects to better reflect the objects' inherent characteristics."

Introversion: "Perceives world as ties between objects perceived through self. Extrapolates characteristics of objects from ties between them. Influences characteristics of objects based on the relationships that need to be between them."

Source: Socionics - the16types.info - The 4 Jungian Dichotomies

I could quite see you as an IEE but still take a look at the quadras.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really not sure! I reviewed both of them and couldn't really conclude either way. I'm really new to the idea of Socionics, so perhaps I need to just sit with it for a longer period of time.

Beta

Beta quadra types prefer situations where the power structure and hierarchy is clearly defined according to consistent rules where ambiguities are minimized.
Nope. I feel like rules can - and should - be flexible. I do not feel comfortable with situations where one person is The Boss.

Beta quadra types are more confident analysing realistic characteristics of situations, people, and objects, rather than alternative and could-it-be scenarios.
Nope. I quite enjoy imagining possibilities, including remote or impossible ideas.

Beta quadra types are inclined to attribute to a new acquaintance traits that they have previously observed in other individuals belonging to the same group as they see the new acquaintance as belonging to (Aristocracy).
I start there, but I like to look deeper - like just because someone identifies as gay or comes from a certain neighbourhood, they are still individuals and there are still many other facets that help create their personhood.

Beta quadra types are inclined to look for general rules explaining people, politics, mechanisms and trends, rules that once defined can be applied generally, rather than go about things in a case-by-case way.
I do sometimes start with a general overview, but I don't stop there, because there are always individual things at play in a situation.

Beta quadra types are energized by competitive situations where analytical tactics are emphasized.
Noooope!

Beta types tend to enjoy group activities where the whole group participates in generating a common emotional atmosphere, as in laughing at jokes, etc.
Yes, but I am also okay with situations where people in a room are doing different things, like several people playing a board game while some others are enjoying themselves chatting while not getting involved in the game or stepping outside to smoke and have offshoot conversations.

Beta types tend to feel energized in the presence of people who share their beliefs and express them with obvious enthusiasm and emotion.
Yes! But at times I do enjoy a debate too.

Beta types tend to give more value to feelings when they are demonstrated with clear emotional expression, and tend to increase the level of their own emotional expression in order to get a reaction from other people.
At times :)

Beta types tend to describe personal views of special meaning with "poetic" or "dramatic" expressions and language.
I have been called 'dramatic' before, lol!

Beta types are often deeply concerned about social issues and the direction the world is heading. They believe that apathy is a significant cause of societal problems, and work to fight against it.
First sentence, yes. Second sentence, somewhat but not so much.

Beta types are not inclined to enjoy discussions of personal experiences when the focus is on a person's own inner feelings, especially when described in a subdued way.
I would not be inclined to talk about someones experiences if they were subdued about it because that would indicate that they do not want to talk about it.

Beta types tend to be skeptical of another individual's potential for personal growth in terms of abilities and character, and dislike being the subject of such a discussion by others about themselves.
The only time I would be skeptical is if their past and present behaviour has shown time-and-time again that they are far from being a certain way. Even then, except for very extreme circumstances (like a repeat child molester) I still have hope that they can take steps to improve themselves.

Beta types tend to look down on nuts-and-bolts, detailed work as a source of success, preferring to focus on "vision" and leadership.
I guess so?

Beta types don't so much enjoy relaxed personal activities as they do competitive group activities.
Even when I play a game where there is a winner, I don't feel like it is super important to win. I'm totally chill doing things by myself, and enjoy doing group activities where there is a common goal.

Delta

Delta types make a point of talking about the rationale behind their actions and emphasizing the productiveness or unproductiveness of different ways of doing things - even in such emotional areas as personal relationships.
I do not make a point of this.

Delta types value peaceful, refreshing activities where they are doing something useful and balancing out their inner world at the same time.
Yes; but the activity doesn't need to be 'useful' in the sense that there is some visible accomplishment. If I am relaxed after taking a nice bath, that is useful in a sense.

Delta types have the philosophy that they will have to rely on their own industriousness to achieve their goals rather than on luck, speculation, group effort, or strong leadership.
Not entirely. I think 'hard work' can only go so far. We don't live in a vaccum. Other people and things, our past experiences and opportunities, etc. all affect our ability to sink or swim.

Delta types love to share personal experience mixed with their own sentiments regarding their experiences, but all in an insightful and non-dramatic manner.
That is true, until the 'but' part.

Delta types like to talk about new beginnings, opportunities for personal growth, and their plans and prospects for the future.
I guess you could say that's true.

Delta types rarely display their deep passions and vision, preferring instead to talk in more neutral terms about what they want to do and why.
I wouldn't call myself 'neutral' and I don't think those that know me would either!

Delta types reject dramatism and emotional affect in favor of wry humor and understatement.
I do use humor and sarcasm as coping mechanisms.

Delta types don't tend to form or maintain groups based on fun, emotional interaction, but only take groups seriously that perform some common productive or restful activity.
Noooope!

Delta types generally dislike using poetic wording when describing their inner state, but talk simply about what they feel or their bodily sensations.
I don't use overly 'flowery' language, but I do like to be creative at times when describing my emotional state or thoughts.

Delta types do not fare well in high-pressure situations where they are being forced to do things, are facing threatening opponents, or are submitted to rigorous discipline, but wear out quickly and look for a more peaceful and welcoming environment.
Yup. But if I am in a situation where I need to face up against injustice, I will.

My group behaviour is more Delta. My romance style is a combination, but leaning on Beta so long as the "intense demonstrations of emotions" are not negative ones. I do think for a long term relationship to work, there needs to be "comfort and practicality" as described in the Delta section.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm really not sure! I reviewed both of them and couldn't really conclude either way. I'm really new to the idea of Socionics, so perhaps I need to just sit with it for a longer period of time.
It's a lot to get one's head around and I know I struggled for ages! Socionics, I would say, is a much bigger subject than MBTI or Enneagram, but it is fascinating. Wikisocion which I linked to is a pretty good resource to start with.

The way I'd look at quadra is to not worry so much about individual traits (after all each quadra contains four diverse sociotypes with different natural interests), but observe how each quadra acts/behaves as a group. In the real world it's not quite as perfect as this but generally speaking, while short-term social groups are formed by shared interests, longer term they tend to naturally spilt off/divide into quadra groups (a 'group' in this sense can be the size of a community, or just a few friends). Quadra groups have shared expectations from interactions, which can clash with (even offend) other quadras in different ways. If you learn to identify the basic underlying 'quadra' that drives a given group you can understand why this is, and I think then it can become fairly obvious which quadra you are.

It's hard, you've said some things that could identify you as a Beta but taking your responses as a whole you seem like a Delta, that would be my best guess. (It would be nice to get a second opinion on this, as a Delta myself I could just be projecting!)

If you're a Delta then I would say IEE. This is because I can also see some Extroverted Ethics :e: - deltas don't value this, but nevertheless it's an IEE's 8th Function (Demonstrative) - which is the joint strongest function. The demonstrative function isn't something you'd take seriously but it can be used playfully to support your creative function (in an IEE this is Introverted Ethics :r:). I say this in response to your answers 12 and 14, you talk about the example of what to say about a dress. An EII would be more rigid in their internal ethical values and probably frame it in terms of that. An IEE's leading function is Extroverted Intuition :i: which goes well with you saying that you like to imagine possibilities and remote ideas.

So I'm saying IEE based on what you've said Intuitive Ethical Extratim - Wikisocion what do you think?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read the Composite and IEE and EII profiles by Gulenko, and IEE seems to resonate more with me.

I'm going to explore this some more, but this has been a great springboard. Thank you for all of your input and help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts