Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
The INFJs I know are messy and slobby. However, they have their own bizarre cleaning rituals that they adhere to with military-style precision. The result is cleaning perfection/overkill in certain sections of their home and general filth everywhere else.

They also tend towards hoarding, which makes cleaning difficult and impractical in the areas where shit has accumulated.
Hmmm.. My experiences with other INFJs, My own experiences and INFJ type descriptions tend to suggest that INFJs are minimalists rather than hoarders. However I am sure there are always exceptions.

I, myself tend to reserve my sentimentality for people and pets rather than material. If I have no use for something material, it generally is gone.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i have shelves... lots of shelves.:cool:

and boxes and binders and containers and things that hold things that fit on...

SHELVES!!!!:laughing:

i need it for the over a thousand CDs and some 3000 DVDs and BDs, then binders of PC discs... and then all the books...

i like my media.

i know how to make a small appartment look like a small warehouse. a very cool warehouse that you will spend time playing with what is at one of the shelves or reading things and then commenting how you "had one of these" at another shelf.

but my shelves are clean and orginized. all my DVDS are here and CDS there and PC stuff there, and books over there. but oddly enough no stacks of magazines, the sign of a true hoarder.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I'm sort of a neat freak or a wannabe neat freak. I try to be realistic about things though so I'm a lot more easy going about keeping things organized than I used to be. I used to feel really unsettled if I had to leave something out of place for more than ten minutes but being married has caused me to adapt and not be such a perfectionist with stuff that doesn't matter. But now sometimes I let certain areas go when my mind is distracted by other things that I probably shouldn't let go. I'm also not as good as keeping things clean as I am with keeping things organized.

There will be times I can't find stuff that I've organized months ago though. It's usually my INFJ husband's stuff because he has more stuff than me. He collects books and games and toys to keep his mind stimulated and inspired. If it weren't for me he probably would have even more stuff than he already has which he's thankful for. He tends to be messy but better at cleaning things than me. Like he will think to clean that disgusting part in the kitchen that nobody ever thinks to clean because we all pretend it isn't there. His dad was kind of like that too - messy but very hygienic.

As a kid I was very much a control freak too. It made me feel safe.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ok, I will tell you INFJ's can be messy; but only because you asked nicely LOL.

My room is a mess. The only reason it remains a mess is because I'm lazy and cleaning is quite a chore. I'd rather spend hours on meditation, imagination, contemplation, and other introverted activities than clean. I am not very bothered by a messy room. My mind is usually in here than out there if you know what I mean.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I'm a neat-freak wanna be too, but it often doesn't materialise. In my head, i would LOVE my house super tidy and clean - however, in reality, its just not possible anymore.

I used to have a meticulous bedroom. You know, when I lived at home with my family and did pretty much nothing other than school, eat, draw and clean.

But the real world has an annoying habit of being demanding, and the cost is.. my bedroom is incredibly messy (most of the time). My house isn't the most meticulous either.

It is organised, and functions, but I just hate cleaning so much. I prefer to be thinking or doing something else more important than cleaning. Must say, it is WAY cleaner now I dont live with my INTP ex.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Umm, yes! I am clean with my desk and with my books and such. When it comes putting clothes away and to eating (with people I talk to), I'm down into it :) hehe, you would see messy fingers and stuff smired on my face! But that's the good life!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wait, wait, wait--there are people/places that say that INFJs aren't messy?

Literally every INFJ I know is completely disorganized and lives in total chaos. This is a Ni thing. We spend so much time on our internal landscapes that we forget the external world exists at all, let alone that we should probably keep track of the physical things in it.

Now, I'm very particular about my chaos, but I'm also OCD, so I'm not sure if it's the INFJ or the illness talking there--sometimes I feel like they compound on each other, to be honest.

Oh and edit to add: @Arclight, I'm an INFJ who lives with an ESFJ hoarder, so on the one hand she's passed her general anxiety over throwing things away to me by sheer over-exposure, but on the other it's pushed me in the opposite direction--I can be a bit overzealous in terms of THROW IT OUT WE DON'T NEED IT IF WE KEEP IT WE WILL START KEEPING EVERYTHING AND IT WILL NEVER END ;A;

So yeah.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
One of my friends is very detail-clean oriented. She will notice a wrinkle in a bed, an unwashed plate dish in the sink, etc. I do not notice those things.

I tend to be on the messier side of things and will let clothes build up on my floor. I did notice though, that I will be clean when I am held accountable for it. I will always clean up messes at other people's house, do my own dishes, and clean anything I've used. That is not particularly true in my own house hold. While I do enjoy organization, my natural habitat seems to be the opposite. When I know other people are involved in my actions, I always clean.

·
Registered
392 Posts
When I become too busy, tired or depressed, my apartment becomes quite messy, yet I know where things are in that said mess.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I can be both. Though as I've grown I've been able to make cleaning/tidying more ingrained into my routine. :) I clean other people's homes too. I can keep a mansion maintained in about 2-3 hours a week (that includes having to exterminate a huge fly problem at one point). I'm talking an older one with cobwebs and all.;)

I don't mind if things get a little messy but I do find life is a lot less chaotic if I just do things as they come. I'd much rather clean through out the week and day than have to clean for hours at a time. This morning I popped my sheets in the washer and put them in the dryer when I got home, and made my bed after dinner. I like clean sheets. I figure I spend about 7-8 hours in that bed every day/night so it's just comfier more refreshing. When I clean I even will light incense and open all of the windows and let a breeze in to air things out.

I also try to clean the kitchen during and after dinner. That way I'm more motivated to cook the following night and I can keep the kitchen running. Otherwise it's easy to spend a lot of money on take out. I injured my shoulder badly this month so I've slowed down a bit (I ordered fast food/delivery at the height of my pain). Right now, I'm back in the kitchen and it's so wonderful.

One Winter when I was younger I spent a Winter watching food network. I was huddled under a blanket because I lived in a drafty house with no heat. Some years I was motivated to keep the fire going all Winter. This was no easy feat because I didn't have a wood stove and the air in a fireplace eats up the wood quickly. I even ordered a chord of wood and stacked it myself. It was tough. I felt useless because I just watched the cooking channel and was depressed. Well, that really helped inspire me to be a better cook. It also inspired my not to let myself get down in the dumps again. So, I just keep on top of things. Even if I'm sick.

Lol I'm the person who pukes and catches my breath, washes my face, rinses my mouth out, brush my teeth, and get on my hands and knees and clean up my mess and scrub it and get everything I need and then I lay back down. Since my mom had so many kids that kind of stuff just didn't get done like clock work. I knew I had a 15 minute or so time frame to get that done before I had to lay down again.;) I know upset stomachs well because I almost went through kidney failure when I was 5. Now, I will do that for other people, (as a caregiver) and I don't think twice about it.

So, I don't think there is anything wrong with being sloppy. It just teaches you how to clean up a "real mess" and then hopefully learn how to not let it get too bad, in the future.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm the same as many of you, certain areas are kept generally clean and organized - others not so much.

I actually like living with my INTP, I find two benefits in this department:

1. I have a tidiness threshold, which if surpassed will actually inspire me to clean. Because this threshold gets crossed more quickly with my INTP, I clean more often, which means that the house is clean more often.... which means that I get to enjoy the ambiance of a truly tidy space more often. It's healthy.

2. My INTP often compliments and appreciates my efforts and starts helping out if she's home while I'm cleaning. Additionally, she doesn't care if I sometimes have no time or energy to clean. Other people I've been with have actually gotten on my case about not constantly having the house clean.

re:hoarding - I'm a minimalist for the most part. At most points in my life all of my personal belongings (aside from furniture) can fit into 2 suitcases or one small sedan at most. I "collect" books (although the library helps with this), movies, and key-chains.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I always keep my apartment clean. I cannot think clearly or feel happy in a personal mess. I also have little trouble throwing things away/donating. I can't stand clutter.

However, I can often become mentally disorganized and careless....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I keep my surroundings clean, very clean (thanks to being raised by a germophobe)..
I also keep some things incredibly organized to almost insane detail (kitchen cabinets, clothing drawers, closet, medical records, makeup compartment).. However, my desk.. both at home and at work are in shambles. Also my nightstand beside my bed is quite sad. It seems like the places that I am most frequently, don't get my organization wand. Places I visit once or twice a day do.

I rarely have passengers in the backseat of my car. It's summer and there are two light jackets just sitting back there.. Along with an umbrella, and an extra pair of shoes.

Reactions: Kizuna

·
Registered
759 Posts
Organized Chaos

I have to know where everything is, I have everything done a certain way but it can look messy. I often forget about my surroundings and do a big clean up when I can't concentrate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I will not doubt my INFJness any more. Thank you all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh. My. Gosh. It's good to know that I am not alone in this world of being a slob. I don't know what it is, but it is so hard for me to stay on top of being clean and organized. I am very organized with my thoughts and ideas (Overly organized). When it comes to cleaning it is almost torture for me. I will get into moods where I have had enough of all the clutter and I will spend all day cleaning. And when I say cleaning, I mean cleeeeeaaningggg. I will get down on all fours and wash baseboards, scrub walls, dust everything and then take everything and fully organize it. Carpets will get cleaned and the house will smell of lovely pinesol. It will take me all day to do and usually I will do it in complete silence because I will get disracted if not. The cleanliness is short lived though. By day three I already will have a stack of dishes waiting for me in the sink. By day 7 dirty clothes will be all over my floor. Of course the clothes that took all day to wash will never be hung up. They will be organized nicely in piles all on my desk and dresser waiting to be hung up. I will just pick out my outfit from the dresser top and then the whole process will start over in a month.

I've waited about two months to organize and clean this time. My place is a junkhole. I am dreading it, but it needs to be done. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that if someone were to come over unexpectantly. I personally don't mind the unorganized mess, but I would be really embarassed if someone else saw it.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I find it highly unsettling when there is chaos in my living or working space, although I have a live and let live relationship with dust :proud: It's just too troublesome to freakin make it go away even for a few hours! So I clean surfaces of it ~once a week.
Other than that, I live in a room shared with my ENFP sister, and her side of the room is usually the messy, disorderly one, with PILES OF CLOTHES on and all kinds of stuff under her bed. How can she not be disturbed by it????

We share one common sin though: the insides of our closets are mostly a mess. Except that I try to organize it once in a while and she never does.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts