Votes: 3 100.0%
  • ISTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm currently working towards my masters degree in computer engineering at university, today at lunch I was told by a friend that she had recently taken an MBTI personality test, I found the subject very interesting and went home and researched it for hours. So far I have taken three tests, two of which have typed my as an INTP and the other an ISTP I do identify with both but I find myself connecting with the INTP type a bit more.
First off I LOVE information, I can spend an entire day on wikipedia and never get bored, I feel I spend my life collecting new information, however this information is not all purely intellectual, I find myself to be interested in what other people like to do, say, and their behaviors. Sometimes I can go hours just staring at google maps looking at the world, I have found I can have a very photographic memory. I am also like sensory based information, for example when I visit a country with some crazy delicacy for instance dog in Vietnam I must try it for myself simply because I have a curiosity about everything. I have actually found that I have more fun researching and reading about video games before I buy them then I do to actually playing the game. When I get bored I will resort to anything in order to gain information, for example one time in english class when I was in the ninth grade I read the school handbook in its entirety because I found the lesson boring. I was often interested into things that where considered very strange for an american child such as Buddhism, or philosophy. I have always had a very difficult time making friends but eventually find a group and find that I am actually very well liked, it was this way almost all my life wherever I move to. I have never been to talented at sports but have a particular fondness of extreme sports and adrenaline activities (scuba diving, skydiving, sports motorcycles) which I know is a very ISTP thing to be into. I DO NOT take myself seriously, I am a very goofy person at the core even though I can come across as serious to outside onlooker. In some ways I am very immature and make weird faces in the mirror, very few people know this side of me even most of my friends see my humor is more based of funny observations and wit then goofiness. I am very prone to intellectual and philosophical conversations and base my relationships off the fact that my partner would be able to have these conversations with me. I am very good at trouble shooting and fixing things when needed but I do not do it often. I do enjoy mechanical things very much and if possible always fix my car, computer, AC unit myself if I can , I have always built my own computers and find it a genuinely fun experience. I am very future oriented often thinking decades down the line and find I like to plan my life in the very very long term which makes me sound like an INTJ but Im most defiantly not. I am very, very, very disorganized and while often leave my apartment mess for months without ever cleaning it, If I set an item down it will often stay there for months, I am always losing my keys, shoes, wallet and frequently have to drive back to places because I forgot something and Im constantly late for appointments, I did OK in school but I was just to disorganized to have lived up to the potential I had in grade school. I am also guilty of heavy procrastination always leaving leaving things to the last minute. One thing I do which is pretty weird is I dream up situations with me talking to my friends about specific subjects and just have a conversation between us two in my head, I do this very frequently and it can last for hours. I am very good at understanding systems and the larger scale of things for instance when I see a fire truck I will often think of the firefighters at the station then the tax money that was spent in order to buy the truck, then I think about how long the truck will be in service and things like that, I think of the big picture and deeper meaning of everything. I also have an uncanny ability to read people and understand why they acted the way they did, I also can get strong feelings about people for example one time my mom hired an interior decorator and within the first minute of talking to her I told myself that I hate her and she was a bad person, my family thought I was just being cynical but then a few months later she started screaming at my parents for not granting her enough freedom to work in our hose then actually attempted to steal money a few days later. I have a very open mind and my interests are very varied, one thing that characterizes both these types that really does not fit me is being a mean, cold person, I am am in no way and outwardly friendly person but I am very accepting of all people and will never be mean to anybody (unless its my family) although I can become a bit of a prick when I demand precision in people who Im talking to. One thing I read about the INTP that is not me is they where not aware of social norms, I am EXTREMELY observant and of the world, this forces me to see social norms and patters of behavior even if Im bad and following them I am still aware of what is socially acceptable and what is not. However Im not sure if being observant is being in the moment because when I notice something then I go deep into thought about why this could be and because of this I am pretty clumsy and run into a lot of things. This never happens when Im in a new environment that I feel uncomfortable with because then I become aware of everything even someone looking at me from the corner of their eye. One thing that has always bothered me is I cant feel the right emotion for the right moment, at funerals Im often not sad, when my friends are going crazy and laughing I often just cant get myself to feel the same way, it leads me being viewed as cold and emotionless even though I actually can be quiet sensitive and sometimes experience very powerful emotions (happens very seldom). I can sometimes place unrealistic goals on myself and get very caught up into things that I become obsessed, I also have a very addictive personality not with substances, but with popping my fingers, swallowing constantly, and weird things like that. I am very introverted, very disorganized ,enjoy the process more then the end result, and hard to be emotional and make decisions based on emotions. Also Im not competitive at all and have always disliked competitive people.

To sum myself up I have a curiosity that never ends going from eating tarantula spiders, riding motorcycles, being obsessed with philosophy, religion, politics, computers (and probably now the MBTI), to reading every word on the back of a tabasco sauce bottle, if its new information I want it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You sound very INTP to me. I just want to precise that not every INTPs are cold or aloof - it's just that emotional ones are more hard to find. We also tend to be neutral most of the time, which is true, and then have emotional outburst.

On my side though, I always smile when I'm with friends and I have a big range of emotions I continually use; the best is they are not fake. It doesn't mean that you're an F though.

As for the ISTP and INTP part, they are very different. Here's the best youtube video, in my opinion, to explain the differences:

I'd just like to precise that you can be INTP and be attracted to the kind of sports you mentioned. I just want to precise that this:

However Im not sure if being observant is being in the moment because when I notice something then I go deep into thought about why this could be and because of this I am pretty clumsy and run into a lot of things.
is actually incredibly INTP and absolutely not ISTP. ISTP have Se as auxiliary, which mean they have a good idea of their environment even when thinking.

Let me know if this could help :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts