Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anonymous asked: My friends constantly say that I'm "full of mysteries" and quite frankly, I don't know what they're talking about. I don't think I intentionally hide things from them, or act mysterious in any way. And this is coming from friends who have known me for some time. I've read that ISTPs are usually seen as aloof and mysterious but I really don't understand. Could you elaborate?

Ok this is a little tricky to answer in a way that doesn’t make us out to be elitist assholes, so many things can factor into that, but let me take a shot at it.

Basically most people will share anything with close friends, I’m not just talking secrets, and inner thoughts, I’m talking about where they went for breakfast or what shoes they’re thinking of buying. We aren’t big on sharing, especially not everyday banalities that don’t even ping our radar. ISTP’s aren’t like that, we don’t care about things we consider frivolous and thus assume that no one else would either, so why would you detail your everyday plans to someone else when you don’t consider it interesting or important?

It’s not that you are being ‘mysterious’ you just don’t have much to say. Which is only worse when you consider an ISTP’s more reserved nature and go with the flow attitude. Most of the time, unless something is going directly against your desires or code of ethics ISTP’s will go along to get along, and even then when you disagree with something you are more likely to leave than get confrontational about it. And that type of mentality means we don’t have much to contribute to conversations about making plans, or group decisions.

Then there is the emotional aspect we tend to happily ignore. When it comes to 'sharing’ and our feelings most of us just go 'yeah, no,’ and walk away. For most ISTP’s emotions are messy at best and irrelevant at worst. We are a logical people and nothing quite fucks with logic like emotion. We also consider impartial information superior to feeling based opinions, so our mode of thinking doesn’t automatically engage the 'how does this situation/thing make you feel’ filter most people have. We don’t even consciously form that opinion most of the time, there’s really no way to share what, to us, doesn’t exist.

We also have to take into account our tendency to hang back and observe. Constant analysis is natural to us and we seldom notice we are doing so. It usually takes someone asking an explicit question and the resulting word dump to draw your own attention to all of the information you’ve gathered. We are constantly busy in our own heads and have evolved a blank expression out of sheer self defense. If we let our facial expressions match our thought process exactly we would probably all be committed.

ISTP’s follow thoughts to their natural conclusion, and assume others do as well. I mean really painfully obvious things, like you wouldn’t tell someone to lock the door when they leave since they’re the last ones home because 'duh, what else would they do?’. This assumption that so many things are painfully obvious it’s pointless to actually talk about it also ties into our more 'mysterious veneer’. Because people don’t think the way we do.

I could probably keep going on about this subject at length, but these are the basics. I hope this helps!

http://asanistp.tumblr.com/

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This appeals to me.
haha
compact but useful
space-wise
How about this?
[INTP and ISTP walking down school corridor]
INTP: [uncharacteristically waves at someone they know as they pass]
The Person: [stares at INTP as they pass but doesn't respond in any way]
INTP: See, ISTP, even if I try to be sociable it just doesn't work.
ISTP: Don't even try, it's not worth it.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
haha
compact but useful
space-wise
How about this?
Indeed. As for the last part, I know it's just another stereotypical joke, but I don't exactly agree with the idea that trying to socialize isn't worth it. Socializing may be draining but it does help me get to where I want to be in life. My career requires me to network with people, and if I don't, I'm missing out on things that could further my goals.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
This appeals to me.
I have a loft bed. The desk is the same size as the mattress, but it's covered in so many projects it's practically unusable. I also have loads of stuff stored under it. My room is likely the densest room in the house.

I'm rather resourceful, and I will be moving out soon and am therefore building up a shop while I have time, but I can only store things in my room. I may have a MIG welder in here soon too. (At least I got the Land Cruiser bumper out of here, but that was for work).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts