Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have political skill, i.e. are you good in convincing people, recognizing the group spirit etc.? Or is this one of our disadvantages?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think I personally get a lot of soft power within a group after I've been in it for a while, but I can't say I'm especially good at politics.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It doesn't sound like you are describing politics at all, merely group leadership.
Yea, I'm sure I'm bad at politics (I would be good if I train myself to be but),
Sometimes when there is no group leader, I lead the group and I lead/organize it pretty damn well.

A group shares one goal, and there are (usually) no "enemies" in the group.
If there are no enemies who drool on power/leadership, then it's not politics, is it?

:p lol

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't sound like you are describing politics at all, merely group leadership.
Sorry for not giving a definition. "Political skill" is the skill to maneuver in groups with the intent of streamlining their opinions towards your goal (you could say manipulation). As a politician, that is one of most important things you must have.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Manipulating others and guiding them under your leadership isn't hard once you have a decent idea of various human mindsets and similarities. You're going to need these abilities in order to rule everyone one day.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I prefer a behind-the-scenes role, cranking out ideas or strategy. It's easier to establish myself as credible independently, and then people can follow from there.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Sorry for not giving a definition. "Political skill" is the skill to maneuver in groups with the intent of streamlining their opinions towards your goal (you could say manipulation). As a politician, that is one of most important things you must have.
I've done this before with campus organizations. Making sure people would elect me president was premeditated a year in advance.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Do you have political skill, i.e. are you good in convincing people, recognizing the group spirit etc.? Or is this one of our disadvantages?
Definitely one of my weaker points, and I have accepted it. Accepting this flaw has made it possible for me to deal with it in a productive way.

I tried to get better at it, but in the end it was clear that that didn't get enough results. So I now make sure that people that are good at this, are the ones that are managing people and I lead (not manage) them.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It depends on the circumstances. Most of the time any sort of social dynamics put me at a disadvantage, however in specific situations (usually when requiring my specific area/level of expertise) I can become remarkably ENTJ-like in my charisma and confidence as a leader. Such moments are rare, but I aspire to put myself in these situations more by building my knowledge and expertise. Leadership INTJ-style:wink:

·
Registered
130 Posts
A group shares one goal, and there are (usually) no "enemies" in the group.
That's an ideal group you're describing. Personally, I've yet to see one of those.

Group dynamcis fascinate me, because you see so many patterns repeat themselves (just join a few clubs and you'll soon discover the same basic roles being occupied). Fascinating though they are, these dynamics, particularly the internal and external rivalry, tire me, so I avoid being part of a group as much as I can.

But in those instances where I can't avoid the group (e.g. at work), my voice tends to carry quite some weight after a while. I assume that's because I only use it when I deem it important. Unsurprisingly, though, I'm a reluctant leader and prefer to exert my "power" only within the group, not represent it outwards.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If I wanted to I could sell sand to the Arabs (although as it is, I sell them other things). But that's only when I feel the need to be diplomatic - my default setting is 'battering ram'.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am good at that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a great at politics if I'm invested to be.

Otherwise I'm ok up until a moron shows themselves and then I revert straight back to 'take no prisoners' mode.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
The thing that is missing here is the networking part, all the irrelevant babling that is required to be politically successfull. The way you describe it now, most INTJ's will think they are good at that while they´re not.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing that is missing here is the networking part, all the irrelevant babling that is required to be politically successfull. The way you describe it now, most INTJ's will think they are good at that while they´re not.
I'm very good when it comes to networking, but not so good in convincing other people to follow my line. Some people apparently need emotional display in order to be convinced, regardless of whether the argument is rational or not.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I'm very good when it comes to networking, but not so good in convincing other people to follow my line. Some people apparently need emotional display in order to be convinced, regardless of whether the argument is rational or not.
Yes, acting is a very important part in politics. Many other types do that naturally and don't even realize it. INTJ's have to consciously act.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts