• Deism

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Haven't Thought About It

Votes: 2 2.3%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
I don't totally know what we're supposed to add in the comments box since I'm the first person who isn't debating the existence of the poll (seeing is believing, you Muggles!) I voted monotheism. I'm a Catholic, converted from Protestantism. Trinitarian monotheism is the kind of thing that makes your head explode trying to figure out the logistics of it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
When it comes to those subjects I prefer to reach my own conclusions, not glob on to some previous human beings opinion. I think we owe it to ourselves to explore these topics on our own. We all have different lives, personalities and experiences, blindly following some other humans beliefs is gross and lazy (in my opinion) think for yourself, there are an infinite amount of ideas and beliefs and zero of them can be proven wrong.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I chose "haven't thought about it" because I'm really torn between monotheism and agnosticism.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Even if I'm practically atheist, I'm technically agnostic. Technically as in it's something that defines me as human. And I know it. Oh wait. Paradox!

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Atheist.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Due to me not having enough self-evidence or whatever for some spiritual views I sorta have... I'd consider myself an atheist really. Maybe in the future it will change. I hope it will. I want to worship realistic mysticism if there's such a thing... gief plox... if real...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Oh yeah taoism seem rather to be a sort of unavoidable faith for me. Sometimes it feels like I have to believe in it even though maybe I choose not to lol.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I've always called myself agnostic rather than atheist based on an understanding that, technically, an atheist was someone who asserted the nonexistence of God with absolute certainty. But I'm not arguing in favor of that or any other particular definition. I think "atheist" gets commonly used by different people to mean different things.

I'd say the odds that I'd ever end up subscribing to any religion, or having any belief in some kind of supernatural being, are virtually nil.

Although the majority of the general population is religious, it's my impression that the majority of MBTI INs are non-religious, with INFs more likely than INTs to be religious and INFJs more likely than INFPs to be religious — and with INFJs substantially more likely than the other INs to strongly subscribe to one of the relatively conventional established religions.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I follow my own spiritual path and have my own view of God based on my experiences :) I didn't really know what to circle, so I put pantheism and deism :-D

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I've always called myself agnostic rather than atheist based on an understanding that, technically, an atheist was someone who asserted the nonexistence of God with absolute certainty. But I'm not arguing in favor of that or any other particular definition. I think "atheist" gets commonly used by different people to mean different things.

I'd say the odds that I'd ever end up subscribing to any religion, or having any belief in some kind of supernatural being, are virtually nil.

Although the majority of the general population is religious, it's my impression that the majority of MBTI INs are non-religious, with INFs more likely than INTs to be religious and INFJs more likely than INFPs to be religious — and with INFJs substantially more likely than the other INs to strongly subscribe to one of the relatively conventional established religions.

a·the·ism
[ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

ag·nos·tic
[ag-nos-tik] Show IPA
noun
a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. Synonyms: disbeliever, nonbeliever, unbeliever; doubter, skeptic, secularist, empiricist; heathen, heretic, infidel, pagan.
a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

It seems to me that many people see Agnostic as AtheistLite. When really Agnostic has taken it further in my opinion and are saying it's impossible to know and people who believe in a God/s are limited to experience so probably wrong. An Agnostic is saying that religious people can't possibly know if there's a God. I only believe that I see no evidence of a higher power/s.

I don't deny the possibility of knowing the nature of things and I don't deny or doubt other peoples beliefs. I just don't share them. The Agnostic line is harsher in my opinion.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I don't know if "harsher" is the right word.

Faith says there is.
Atheism says there isn't.
Agnosticism says there is no way that anyone could know either way with certainty.

With faith, the problem is you might be mistaking evidence to mean something it's not.
With atheism, the problem is that you simply might not have found the evidence yet.

I'm not sure where you get "probably wrong" from, which would be just another evidence claim.
It sidesteps that issue of "correct/incorrect" entirely and claims you can't draw a conclusion.
There is no way to evaluate either claim in the absence of direct objective evidence.

To summarize, the first two are about conclusions drawn from evidence, while agnosticism focuses on the quality and nature of the evidence.

Reactions: monemi

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I don't know if "harsher" is the right word.

Faith says there is.
Atheism says there isn't.
Agnosticism says there is no way that anyone could know either way with certainty.

With faith, the problem is you might be mistaking evidence to mean something it's not.
With atheism, the problem is that you simply might not have found the evidence yet.

I'm not sure where you get "probably wrong" from, which would be just another evidence claim.
It sidesteps that issue of "correct/incorrect" entirely and claims you can't draw a conclusion.
There is no way to evaluate either claim in the absence of direct objective evidence.

To summarize, the first two are about conclusions drawn from evidence, while agnosticism focuses on the quality and nature of the evidence.
No way? Atheism is open to being proven wrong. Just give us solid evidence. Agnostics are saying there is no way of knowing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts