Personality Cafe banner

Poll: What Baby Boomers Span do you agree or identify?

• 1943 - 1960

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1946 - 1955

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 1956 - 1964

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 1947 - 1966

• 1942 - 1960

• 1946 - 1964

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Generation Span do you agree or identify for Baby Boomers?

Votes will be kept Private.

Views should be respected in the comment area. Just like Demographers, Authors and Sites have different views of Start and End for a Generation it is okay for each person to have different views & acknowledgements of Generation span for Baby Boomers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
1946-1964 is the most precise Baby Boomers spans.so i vote 1946-1964.Because i agree and identify with that definition and the span the most.And keep in mind according to US Generation cohorts in 1985,
Baby Boomer cohort number one (born 1946–55), the cohort who epitomized the cultural change of the sixties
Memorable events: the Cold War (and associated Red Scare), the Cuban Missile Crisis, assassinations of JFK, Robert Kennedy, and Martin Luther King, Jr., political unrest, walk on the moon, risk of the draft into the Vietnam War or actual military service during the Vietnam War, anti-war protests, social experimentation, sexual freedom, drug experimentation, the Civil Rights Movement, environmental movement, women's movement, protests and riots, and Woodstock.
Key characteristics: experimental, individualism, free spirited, social cause oriented.
Baby Boomer cohort number two (born 1956–64)
Memorable events: the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, and Martin Luther King, Jr., for those born in the first couple of years of this generation, the Vietnam War, walk on the moon, Watergate and Nixon's resignation, lowered drinking age to 18 in many states 1970–1976 (followed by raising back to 21 in the mid-1980s as a result of congressional lobbying by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)), the oil embargo, raging inflation, gasoline shortages, economic recession and lack of viable career opportunities upon graduation from high school or college, Jimmy Carter's reimposition of registration for the draft, the Iran hostage crisis, Ronald Reagan, Live Aid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Although there is a consensus that the generation started somewhere around 1945, it is questionable of when it concluded. I have read that the generation is defined more by characteristics. So to define a what is considered a baby boomer, you would have to distinguish that from someone considered Generation X.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Although there is a consensus that the generation started somewhere around 1945, it is questionable of when it concluded. I have read that the generation is defined more by characteristics. So to define a what is considered a baby boomer, you would have to distinguish that from someone considered Generation X.
I was born in the last quarter of 1964 and so just under the wire to qualify as a Baby Boomer, chronologically. I chose 1956 - 1964 because that is the decade I am closest to in age and have the most in common with. I suppose I could be considered either an very young Boomer or an Ancient X.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I going with 1946 to 1955. The Boomers were about GIs coming home after the war. I was born in 1947, which makes me an early Boomer. It was perfect, because I turned 18 in 1965, just in time for the build up in Vietnam.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I voted for other. Personally, I dont think a generation should be defined based on fertility rates. To me, 1959 is the best year to end baby boomers, since they were the last to be born in a world with less than 3 billion people alive in it, the last to be born in a world in which Hawaii was never part of the US, and the last to be born before NASA's first space mission, Project Mercury. I dont know why so many people favor 1960 being the last boomer though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts