Personality Cafe banner

What Generation Y Span do you agree or identify?

• 1977 - 1994

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • 1977 - 1995

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1977 - 1996

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1980 - 1994

• 1980 - 1995

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • 1980 - 1996

• 1981 - 1996

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • 1981 - 1992

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 1981 - 1998

• 1981 - 1999

• 1982 - 2004

• 1982 - 2000

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • 1983 - 2001

• 1983 - 2000

• Other

Votes: 5 10.6%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Generation Span do you agree or identify with for Generation Y?

Votes will be kept Private.

Views should be respected in the comment area. Just like Demographers, Authors and Sites have different views of Start and End for a Generation it is okay for each person to have different views & acknowledgements of Generation span for Generation Y.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I voted 1981-1998, since they came of age between 1999-2016, which seemingly were the years that shaped the Millennials the most, from the Columbine School Shootings to Donald Trump's Election.

Generally speaking, the media usually considers those born in the '80s and '90s to be Millennials, even the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines Millennials as those born in the '80s and '90s. 1981-1998 is the closest range on here to matching that definition, since all you have to do is throw in one year at each end (1980 and 1999).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I say 1980-1994/95. But imo 1995/96 , especially 1996 is more cusp leaning gen z or early gen z.

Why 1996 and maybe 1995 is early gen z or y/z cusp leaning gen z imo

Early Gen Z
People born in 95 or later (Gen Z) would've had Trump/Hilary Election as one the first they could vote in. People born '94 on the other hand were able to vote in the Obama elections with Millennials.

Those born in 1996 would've spent their core childhood in the Web 2.0 Era. Web 2.0 went mainstream in 2004 so the younger half of 1996 would've only been 7 around that time.

Grew up in a post 9/11 world . Yes people born in 95 or 96 might have memories of the event, but most of their lives are post 9/11

People born in 1995 and later were minors when the adoption rate of smartphones hit 50% in 2011

those born in 1996 could have had Gen 7 consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) as part of their childhoods as the xbox 360 came out in 2005

Obama was president during their preteen and entire teenage years.

Were children when the world changing iPhone released in 2007

Y/Z Cusp

Can remember VHS as young children, but also grew up with DVDs as kids

Can possibly remember the turn of the century. Especially those born in the early half of 95, but still young enough to not remember.

Remembering 9/11 for the same reason as above

Were alive and really young when Dial Up was around, but grew up in a post dial up world.

As someone born in later half of 1996, I just can't fully connect with millenials. I barely remember Dial Up, and I was too young to even get online back then. I had stuff like YouTube and Web 2.0 as part of my childhood, and since I had just turned 5 prior to 9/11 I grew up in a world that was affected after the tragic event unlike most Millenials. Heck my brother is 5 years lolder than me and his teenage years were way different than mine was as he had a flip phone and Myspace as opposed to mid 90s borns who had access to more social media and smartphones during high school. 2005-2009 (especially 2005-2007) was way different from 2011-2014. I feel like because of world events and technological advancements in the 2000s and 2010s Millenials should have 2 separate groups, or people born in the mid-late 90s have a group of their own

·
Registered
590 Posts
I say 1980-1994/95. But imo 1995/96 , especially 1996 is more cusp leaning gen z or early gen z.

Why 1996 and maybe 1995 is early gen z or y/z cusp leaning gen z imo

Early Gen Z
People born in 95 or later (Gen Z) would've had Trump/Hilary Election as one the first they could vote in. People born '94 on the other hand were able to vote in the Obama elections with Millennials.

Those born in 1996 would've spent their core childhood in the Web 2.0 Era. Web 2.0 went mainstream in 2004 so the younger half of 1996 would've only been 7 around that time.

Grew up in a post 9/11 world . Yes people born in 95 or 96 might have memories of the event, but most of their lives are post 9/11

People born in 1995 and later were minors when the adoption rate of smartphones hit 50% in 2011

those born in 1996 could have had Gen 7 consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) as part of their childhoods as the xbox 360 came out in 2005

Obama was president during their preteen and entire teenage years.

Were children when the world changing iPhone released in 2007

Y/Z Cusp

Can remember VHS as young children, but also grew up with DVDs as kids

Can possibly remember the turn of the century. Especially those born in the early half of 95, but still young enough to not remember.

Remembering 9/11 for the same reason as above

Were alive and really young when Dial Up was around, but grew up in a post dial up world.

As someone born in later half of 1996, I just can't fully connect with millenials. I barely remember Dial Up, and I was too young to even get online back then. I had stuff like YouTube and Web 2.0 as part of my childhood, and since I had just turned 5 prior to 9/11 I grew up in a world that was affected after the tragic event unlike most Millenials. Heck my brother is 5 years lolder than me and his teenage years were way different than mine was as he had a flip phone and Myspace as opposed to mid 90s borns who had access to more social media and smartphones during high school. 2005-2009 (especially 2005-2007) was way different from 2011-2014. I feel like because of world events and technological advancements in the 2000s and 2010s Millenials should have 2 separate groups, or people born in the mid-late 90s have a group of their own

The first statement in bold:
I do agree that the elections could help in becoming a defining factor. 2012 election is Y, 2016 election is Y/Z and 2020 election is Z.

The second statement in bold:
The end of "growing up" is pretty subjective.
If you're talking about reaching adulthood, unless you were 18/ graduated high school by the time 9/11 occurred, you were still growing up. Yes, teens in high school still count. In fact the entire Millennial generation will spend more of their life in general post 9/11 than pre-9/11 (since age 40 is usually middle aged). But I do agree that in terms of childhood they were the last to spend it before the tragedy. Gen Z spent the majority/all of theirs afterwards.

The third statement in bold: I do agree that those born in the mid and late 90s are the cusp between the two generations. They quite literally relate with both.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I voted 1981-1998, since they came of age between 1999-2016, which seemingly were the years that shaped the Millennials the most, from the Columbine School Shootings to Donald Trump's Election.

Generally speaking, the media usually considers those born in the '80s and '90s to be Millennials, even the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines Millennials as those born in the '80s and '90s. 1981-1998 is the closest range on here to matching that definition, since all you have to do is throw in one year at each end (1980 and 1999).
I would say/vote 1982-2000.However, i respect your opinion for choosing 1981-1998 so technically i am still Millennials.

·
Registered
543 Posts
OK i know the answer is 1981-1996.However,even i lose,i still think Millennials are people who were born from 1982-2000 while my pastor says those who were born from 1995 or onwards are Gen Z and some say gen y are people who were born from 1977-1994.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it should start in 1980 and end in 1995. 1995 is in the grey, but someone born in 1996 or 1997 is a certain Gen Z. Since the internet and tech starting getting popular around the 2nd half of the 90s (cough Windows 95 cough). I am not sure, but 1995 1996 and 1997 are the most common starting points for Z while 1980 1981 and 1982 are the most common starting points for Gen Y.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gen Y is 1981 to 1996.
Well it depends.However, i really disagree with Personality Cafe the most on the spans of X,Y And Z.Here is what i think.I think Generation X are people who were born from 1965 which is a fact to early 1980(either 1980 which i agree the 2nd most or 1981 which i tend to agree the most).And as for the span of Millennials,They are people who were born from Early 1980s which are 1981(which i agree the 2nd most)/1982(which i agree the most) to 1996(According to Pew Research Centre which i disagree the 2nd most),1998(according to @CaboBayCaptain1297 who post a comment here on poll generation y span and reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/GenZ/comments/8qn96c/the_ultimate_late_millennialearly_gen_z_cusp/ which i tend to agree the 2nd most) and 2000( according to neil howe and strauss,MTV and US Census Bureau)https://www.personalitycafe.com/generation-x-forum/155492-why-does-generation-x-stop-1977-a-10.html https://www.personalitycafe.com/generation-z-forum/1262362-generation-z-span-accuracy-8.html[/url]

·
Registered
559 Posts
The more popular definition with demographers now seems to be 1984-1997. Like always, the beginning and ending years are the more volatile ones. Sometimes I even see people born in 1979 or 1978 that think their are Millennials although their life experience is significantly different to that of a Millennial just on the basis of having memories of the 1980s and a significant amount of their lives without internet alone.

I was born in 1993. Wish it had been a little sooner, like 1991 or perhaps 1989.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
1977 - 1994 is the original cohort, you guys can argue about it all you want, but 1977 was the year the word Millenial was first used to describe the new babies being born.

The Millennial generation was originally born into the digital era, and grew up with digital watches, digital radios and MTV. The problem some younger Millennials have is that they don't understand any attachment at all to things like radio and MTV which seem more like Gen X traits.

I get that. That's why X-inneals were coined. X-inneals (I am one) remember when MTV still played music, they may have listened to radio while falling asleep at night or getting ready for school in the morning, or requested songs from a DJ at the town pool or on a radio station.

X-inneals lead the Horror Revival in the early 00s and created a lot of the 80s nostalgia that was popular up until about 2012. Problem being, people born as late as 84 or 85 have "80s nostalgia" due to having a lot of early memories or having parents who saturated them with 80s culture even in the early 90s.

X-inneals saw the Breakfast Club and Heathers and Pump Up the Volume. X-inneals remember You Can't Do That on Television. X-inneals might have actually watched Pink Floyd the Wall with their aunt or uncle. Basically X-inneals remember the 80s and you don't.

I'm not sure this is a good way to define a generation.

My mother is a late Boomer. They have a different name too, I can't remember it at the moment, but my mom is a late Boomer, and they have a different name like how early Ys have "X-illenial" ...because instead of being hippies, they listened to Black Sabbath and Fleetwood Mac and rode motorcycles and spread things like vegetarian culture, splatter horror, and New Wave. My mom's form of Boomer is strangely close to being an X.

So every ten years there's a transition. Let's just accept a generation may be 20 years, but every ten years there's a ...change. I see it in my mom's generation too. I feel bad for Gen X the most because literally no one wants to be them.

I know I don't because I was a Bernie supporter and I actually like Lana Del Rey and I lived on the West cost in 2010, but you know, there are people who just don't want to be X because they're X.

Me, I'm glad I'm Y...because Millennials started in 1977 and that's final.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
In fact I can't post links because I'm too new, but please Google Millennial 1977...and you'll see our generation is more defined by who voted for Bernie than by whom remembers a childhood without the Internet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
In fact I can't post links because I'm too new, but please Google Millennial 1977...and you'll see our generation is more defined by who voted for Bernie than by whom remembers a childhood without the Internet.
If it's defined by those who voted for Bernie, the youngest Millennial would by a 1998 born (20 yr old)

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
If it's defined by those who voted for Bernie, the youngest Millennial would by a 1998 born (20 yr old)
When I worked on the Sanders campaign in 2016, one of his delegates in my district who went to DC was only 17 during the DNC in July. I think there were also sixteen year olds back then who WANTED to vote for him.

·
Registered
590 Posts
When I worked on the Sanders campaign in 2016, one of his delegates in my district who went to DC was only 17 during the DNC in July. I think there were also sixteen year olds back then who WANTED to vote for him.
Yeah, but they legally couldn't which changes the equation. In all honesty, the youngest voting in 2020 are the oldest of Gen Z, with possibly the very last Y traits.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Yeah, but they legally couldn't which changes the equation. In all honesty, the youngest voting in 2020 are the oldest of Gen Z, with possibly the very last Y traits.
Fair enough. I'm just amazed at how influenced people are by magazines or fluff pieces when discussing this subject because the fact remains the word Millennial was invented to describe children born into the digital age, from 1977 onward. The word was actually made up in 1977. (Or actually probably in 1976 in anticipation of the new children being born, if we're analytical about it). I used to notice dramatic differences between myself and my ex who was only Gen X by being two years older than me. He was much more influenced by punk, he had a lot less concern for the environment, he remembered something called Z Caveraccis which was completely foreign to me...I just looked at him in dismay, especially with how taken he seemed to be by AN ARTICLE OF CLOTHING.

But on the other hand we used to watch horror movies and eat Blow-Pops and watch I Love the 80s together...and probably couples like we once were invented the term X-inneal, a term I am still suspicious of and ultimately reject. After a chat with a dear friend I've known for many years who was born in the same year as myself, we decided we are Millennials and that's that. It's really obvious to me that Gen X differs from me in some fundamental way I may not describe well, but I can also see how the younger cohort of Millennials is rejecting of people who remember typewriters, VHS tapes, and requesting songs on the radio. Then again, you have a figure like Lana Del Rey born in 1985 who is a Millennial by any definition and a Millennial icon, and one of her biggest hits was called "Radio." 80s babies have their own stubborn little view of things, that I allow, but apparently the 90s kids were happy to participate culturally?

Some "Millennials" even have a false nostalgia for vinyl. I think this is worth mentioning. I doubt very many people born in the 90s actually remember vinyl irl ever, unless they had an Aunt Sadie who collected Led Zeppelin or Roberta Flack, and the vinyl craze was actually driven by people born in the 70s and 80s who remembered seeing vinyl as children which disappeared....those of us in the 80s especially watched things change with a disturbing quickness that has left us a rather odd bunch of humans. I would argue though that those born up to the mid-90s have suffered a similar fate, I would include my ex-lover in that who was born in '93. He had a very "old school" upbringing though his parents were from Argentina and Chile and though he lived in L.A. in his teens he still had a lot of attachments that spoke of a more old-fashioned up bringing.

So it's really really hard for me to say that anyone born past 1994 meets my personal definition. I still say 1977-1994 and if you look on Amazon or Google, there's an actual book about this, and more than one article. Personality Cafe is correct.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fair enough. I'm just amazed at how influenced people are by magazines or fluff pieces when discussing this subject because the fact remains the word Millennial was invented to describe children born into the digital age, from 1977 onward. The word was actually made up in 1977. (Or actually probably in 1976 in anticipation of the new children being born, if we're analytical about it). I used to notice dramatic differences between myself and my ex who was only Gen X by being two years older than me. He was much more influenced by punk, he had a lot less concern for the environment, he remembered something called Z Caveraccis which was completely foreign to me...I just looked at him in dismay, especially with how taken he seemed to be by AN ARTICLE OF CLOTHING.

But on the other hand we used to watch horror movies and eat Blow-Pops and watch I Love the 80s together...and probably couples like we once were invented the term X-inneal, a term I am still suspicious of and ultimately reject. After a chat with a dear friend I've known for many years who was born in the same year as myself, we decided we are Millennials and that's that. It's really obvious to me that Gen X differs from me in some fundamental way I may not describe well, but I can also see how the younger cohort of Millennials is rejecting of people who remember typewriters, VHS tapes, and requesting songs on the radio. Then again, you have a figure like Lana Del Rey born in 1985 who is a Millennial by any definition and a Millennial icon, and one of her biggest hits was called "Radio." 80s babies have their own stubborn little view of things, that I allow, but apparently the 90s kids were happy to participate culturally?

Some "Millennials" even have a false nostalgia for vinyl. I think this is worth mentioning. I doubt very many people born in the 90s actually remember vinyl irl ever, unless they had an Aunt Sadie who collected Led Zeppelin or Roberta Flack, and the vinyl craze was actually driven by people born in the 70s and 80s who remembered seeing vinyl as children which disappeared....those of us in the 80s especially watched things change with a disturbing quickness that has left us a rather odd bunch of humans. I would argue though that those born up to the mid-90s have suffered a similar fate, I would include my ex-lover in that who was born in '93. He had a very "old school" upbringing though his parents were from Argentina and Chile and though he lived in L.A. in his teens he still had a lot of attachments that spoke of a more old-fashioned up bringing.

So it's really really hard for me to say that anyone born past 1994 meets my personal definition. I still say 1977-1994 and if you look on Amazon or Google, there's an actual book about this, and more than one article. Personality Cafe is correct.
No I do not think that those who were born from 1977-1981 are Millennials.Yes I may agree with you that they were born in the digital age.However, how are those who were born from 1977-1981 born babies Gen X?Yes I know they may emember when MTV still played music, they may have listened to radio while falling asleep at night or getting ready for school in the morning, or requested songs from a DJ at the town pool or on a radio station.

X-inneals lead the Horror Revival in the early 00s and created a lot of the 80s nostalgia that was popular up until about 2012. Problem being, people born as late as 84 or 85 have "80s nostalgia" due to having a lot of early memories or having parents who saturated them with 80s culture even in the early 90s.

X-inneals saw the Breakfast Club and Heathers and Pump Up the Volume. X-inneals remember You Can't Do That on Television. X-inneals might have actually watched Pink Floyd the Wall with their aunt or uncle. Basically X-inneals remember the 80s and I dont.I am a Malaysian Chinese was born on 8th December 1997 in Brunei. I will tell you why you are Older Millennials as you are only 36-37 this year.And Why am I Younger Millennials not early Gen Z. You were born in 1982 or 1983. In My opinion,Older Millennials are 1990s Kids not 1980s Kids.And you turn 8 years old in 1990 or 1991 so it shows that your peak of your core childhood times occur in the early 1990s not late 1980s.
Baby Boomers(b.circa 1946-1964)

b.circa 1946-1950-Early Baby Boomers (were in their peak from Late 1962-Mid 1966 during the Cuban Missile Crisis 1962, the Assassination of JFK in 1963,The Inauguration of Lyndon B Johnson,The Start of Vietnam War,The Beatles and etc)

b.circa 1950-1960-Core Baby Boomers (were in their peak from Late 1966 to Mid 1977 during the era of Nixon,Ford and Carter Era,The End of Vietnam War's Protest,The Carpenter and etc)

b.circa 1961-1964-Late Baby Boomers(were in their peak from Late 1977 to Mid 1981 during the Final Era of Disco and the rise of MTV Generation's Culture like the Launch of MTV,New Wave and etcs,Star Wars,Star Trek and etcs)

Generation X/MTV Generation(b.circa 1965-1981)

b.circa 1965-1968-Early MTV Generation(were in their peak from Late 1981-Mid 1985 during the era of New Wave,Michael Jackson's Thriller,Prince,Madonna,mostly Reagan's 1st Term and etcs)

b.circa 1969-1977-Late Core 1980s Teen and-Transition Late 1980s to 1990s Teen Culture or Late 1980s Teen Culture(Core MTV Generation) (were in their peak from Late 1985-Mid 1994 during the Michael Jackson's Bad,AIDS Epidemic,NES,Whitney Houston,Sega Genesis and GameBoy release, Berlin Wall Falls,the release of Michael Jackson's Dangerous,Gangsta Rap,Nirvana(Band),The End of Cold War and USSR,Pearl Jam,Pre-Internet,during Latter Reagan,Mariah Carey,Bush Senior,Early Part of Clinton Era and etcs)

b.circa 1978-1981-Core 1990s Teen Culture (Late Generation X or MTV Generation)(were in their peak from Late 1994-Mid 1998 during the release of Michael Jackson's History,Mariah Carey's Butterfly,Madonna's Ray of Light,the rise of Millennials's culture like Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys,Getting Jiggle with it,Titanic,Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On,TLC,PS1 and N64 era,Windows 95,Windows 98,mostly during later part of Clinton and etcs)

Millennials(b.circa 1982-2000)

b.circa 1982-1985-Millennium and Y2K Teen Culture(Early Millennials)(were in their peak from 1998-Mid 2002 during the era of Y2K,later part of Clinton,Bush Era and during the of Millennium Era of music such as Teen Pop, Party Rap, & Nu Metal, Avril Lavigne,the rise of technologies like Windows 98 SE,Windows 2000,Windows ME and etcs. One of their Mainstream song is Britney Spears Baby One More Times)

b.circa 1986-1996-Core Millennials (were in their peak from Late 2002-Late 2012 during Rise and Emo era,Iraq War,Great Recession,explosion in popularity of Social Media such as myspace,facebook,Launch and golden age of Youtube,Windows XP,PS3,Nintendo Wii,Xbox 360,DS,Windows Vista and during the Core Bush Years, during the Later Part of Bush Year,Obama Election,Early Era of Obama,Death of Michael Jackson,The Rise of China Superpower country in 2007/2008,Beijing Olympics 2008,Music Artist like Taylor Swift,LMFAO,Rihanna,Justin Bieber,technologies like Windows 7,Windows 8,The rise of EDM and Hipster,gaming consoles like Nintendo 3DS and etcs)

b.circa 1997-2000,Hipster Teen Culture(Late Millennials)-I was born here(8th December 1997)were in their peak from Early 2013 to Mid 2017 during the Later Part of Obama,Trump's Era(20th January to 31st August 2017)Youtube Music Awards 2013,Windows 8.1,Let it Go,Taylor Swift's 1989,CEDM(Christian EDM),EDM,PS4,Xbox One,Windows 10,The rise of Plural's Culture and etcs)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts