Personality Cafe banner

Have you been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?

• Yes I have! SHINY THINGS!

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • No I haven't, I'm still normal :3

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Not been tested officially, But I'm pretty sure- SQUIRREL! that I'd test positive.

Votes: 38 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, I have a strong suspicion that nearly all of us will come back as ADD positive. I'm adding an option for if you've never taken a test or been officially diagnosed but are pretty certain you'd come back positive for ADHD.

comments are welcome!

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Yeah I've been diagnosed...but sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing between things that make me an ENFP and things that are part of my ADD...I know I have hard time focusing and I really don't think that has anything to do with being an ENFP. I just can't concentrate at all sometimes. And I know quite a bit of ENFPs here read...without my medication I really cannot read more than a page or two at a time. There are some things that I'm debating...when I was a kid I always had these projects I liked to do, but I ever finished any of them...that seems like it could be ENFP since one of the characteristics of us is that we like to start projects, but we have a ahrd time finishing xD

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had medication help me when I was younger, it let me actually do my homework, it allowed me to focus and not have this nagging sensation that I should really be doing something else.

I do wonder though if these are symptoms of an actual chemical imbalance or if they're stock on our particular brand of wiring?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Patience is kinda my middle name, so no. I'm definitely not AD(H)D. (Can Enneagram 9's even be?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
In school, the only real problem for me was taking tests if the room wasn't quite. I had a chemistry teacher my junior year and he would just ramble on while we took exams and it killed me because I couldn't focus on my work. Other than that I was fine, never had any real problems paying attention or staying still.

Generally, while I can be distracted, I'm pretty good at buckling down when it counts. Though I'm totally guilty of starting projects and letting them linger on. I've got an afghan that was promised to a friend a year ago that I've just started working on again a month ago. And I've already put it aside (again) for my new ukulele, =x.

So, not ADD/ADHD, but totally an ENFP. c:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I had medication help me when I was younger, it let me actually do my homework, it allowed me to focus and not have this nagging sensation that I should really be doing something else.

I do wonder though if these are symptoms of an actual chemical imbalance or if they're stock on our particular brand of wiring?
I know that nagging feeling all too well xD

·
Registered
100 Posts
The first four or five teachers I had in school constantly sent letters home to my mom telling her that I was ADHD. She never believed them and thought I was just bored (which I was). So I've never been tested but if I was I probably would be. I've gotten a better handle on myself so it doesn't bother me anymore when I do work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was diagnosed when I was 5 (which I'm not sure how in the world you can tell that young since all kids that age are restless and bored with everything) but I stopped taking my medicine in 8th grade and it got really bad so I started taking it again half way through my 9th grade year and I've been on it ever since. I definately have it... and I just recently really LOOKED into it and had no idea that it caused all the things it does. But at the same time... the descriptions of ENFP's and having ADHD are VERY similar.

I think it's both. I think it's just how you deal with being that way. I think it's how you're wired as well as an imbalance or that the imbalance effects how you are "wired". Idk... I just think they both come hand in hand, with me anyways.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I'm a poster child for ADHD. And yes, I have been diagnosed. I am not sure which letters give me more charisma ADHD or ENFP. Perhaps it's one and the same...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've never been tested, but I am easily distracted. My mom thinks that, even if I do have ADD/ADHD, it would not make a difference as to how she or I treats the condition. I've been doing just fine in school (4.0+ in HS, and currently a 3.7 in college.), and I can focus when I absolutely need to. It's just those times where I see things like, "Postponed x amount of time" that gets me in trouble. It could be "Postponed 1 minute", and I'll slack more than usual... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have been tested for ADD. And no I don't have ADD. Any behavior that's ADD is just my enfp-ness. I get distracted by shining things all the time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting results so far guys, it looks like only about half of us have ADD.

thank you to everyone who responded, and I'll briefly post a couple things that not being able to focus really messes me up:

Detail-oriented tasks, like cleaning windows or tables and floors. I'm terrible at basic cleaning because at base I have a lack of focus required to do the job effectively.

I have a lot of trouble generally doing things that are extremely simple and easy, and it's a big source of stress for me because there's no reason I should not be able to do it. I can trace my failures in these areas to a lack of focus at core.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I had a friend who got ENFP on MBTI and she also had ADHD and any person would never say we're super alike. Maybe in some aspects, but not really. She was the epitome of the hyper ENFP.

I, however, although can be very hyper and silly, do not begin to rival her. My caring, people pleasing side is a lot more noticeable than hers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have adhd.

i wasn't diagnosed untill i was nearly 16. it caused a lot of depression and mood problems for me, i sort of want to cry when i think about it, it suffocated me... anyway i take Vyvanse now and it works pretty well. much less side efects than Adderall. i can click into attention more easily and my room is clean. i love my meds, actually. my life is 110% better. yay meds and yay ENFP!

a lot of enfp traits are adhd traits. like never nailing down decisions, never finishing projects, never going "by the book". the problem probably isn't in us, it's in the rest of the world that's dominated by types who resist change.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was diagnosed with mild ADD in middle sk0ol in the early '90s due mostly to declining math grades which were mostly due to the boringness and purposelessness of sk0ol. And keep in mind that I'm an uberdorky INTJ who's favorite childho0d bo0k was a 1970s issue Old Dominion marine biology textbo0k that my mom gave me...that was taken away by a teacher once in 2nd grade because I was reading it during recess (she gave it back later). I've always had an odd combination of ADD and OCD tendencies of demented do0m. And I've always had a silly switch. And I love the Up reference in this poll.
:laughing:
Dug reminds me of a diggitty dog my grandpa used to have. And yes, he kinda does lo0k like Carl (my grandpa, not the diggy dog he used to have). I used to use that dog as a pillow when I was a kid.
:crazy:
Where was I? Oh yeah...Ritalin. I didn't notice any difference. At least not in the way I felt. But my math grades did improve. And I never lost interest in the things that interested my funky self. Remember that episode of The Simpsons where Bart is prescribed Focusyn (obvious parody of Ritalin)? He switches from ADHD to OCD and becomes a paranoid maniac.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 22 years old while I was in the military. I've read an article once regarding how certain hormones affect a person's brain development in the womb and thus influencing temperament later in life. So I do believe that this temperament might have chemical imbalances with the territory (not all of course)... Known alot of ENFP's to be substance abusers to be able to "think straight..." Most chemical imbalances can be helped with simple excercise... Take the good with the bad you know... I strive when I'm surrounded by structure because I have to develop creative ways of working within the confines and pushing the limits :crazy:...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I never was bad enough to see a doctor for it but I suspect I had at least some ADD. I've grown to control it now, as much as possible, but when I was younger I was smart enough to know if I got straight A's teachers couldn't really prove I was doing anything wrong because of the good marks. It happened in parent teacher conferences when teachers said how much of a clown I was but my marks were always awesome because I COULD focus and learn at home. Yeah, I had many a frusterated teacher. Haha, suckas!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Haha...I've never been to a doctor for it, but I always suspected it. Well, I haven't suspected it, my parents have. I have an ENFP friend who has been diagnosed and medicated for it. I act a lot like he does. It's not too bad for me, though. It gets hard sometimes when talking to someone and all my thoughts run run run through my brain and out of my mouth. I think it can overwhelm people. My dad complains of my inattentiveness and non-sequitur train of thought, though. Also when it comes to daily household things (like you've said, Ignus) I just get so easily distracted.

School was the same. My teachers complained of me not doing my work. I always had many reason for not doing my work...including just being too distracted. But my class participation grades and test grades always saved me. I thank God I was in the IB programme where that sort of stuff was ok. :mellow:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts