Personality Cafe banner

Poll: If you could pick one Musician who passed to come back who would it be?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was tough but I picked Michael Jackson.

I wish I was born earlier and got the opportunity to go to his 'Bad' concert.

510LZRwVpOL._SY355_.jpg

download.jpg

·
Registered
INTJ
836 Posts
Tough, but Bowie. Great music, and he was funny in interviews, always seemed to look like he actually enjoyed performing, too. He was delightful; something else (very apropos to the whole Ziggy getup).

Also, Freddie Mercury.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I picked Jimi Hendrix. Not just because I love his music and he's one of the most influential guitar players of all time, having singlehandedly turned the electric guitar into a semi-religious idol and phallic symbol. It's also because his career was so short, he died very young and clearly had so much more to express. He seemed like a really nice guy too.
A few days after his death he had an appointment to record a session with jazz musician Gil Evans:
"[Alan Douglas] came up with the idea of an album where Jimi would just play guitar and have an orchestra built around him – my job. We were to get together on the Monday – after the Friday he died."
It seems that had he lived longer, we would have heard a lot more from him than just blues and rock & roll, at a point in time when jazz fusion was just starting to emerge and there was still a lot of uncharted musical territory... I mean this was just a year after Miles released Bitches Brew. I really would have liked to hear what that would have turned out like.

Jeff Buckley too, another musician who was very original and talented, and died having released only a small amount of music. It's really rare that a debut album is so unique, fleshed out and consistent but sadly it's the only thing he ever got to finish.

·
Super Moderator
11,506 Posts
From the list... Bowie due to his ability of many faces. Exquisite!

@Cephalonimbus Absolutely, Jeff Buckley! He reaches in and... you feel his passion in his playing and singing...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I really like most of the musicians listed, but David Bowie though... he is my hero, he always influenced me, he definitely would be my first choice, I cried a river when I heard about his death (never thought I would cry over a death of an artist)

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,834 Posts
Personally I think Selena would be an interesting choice. A young female tejano singer murdered early and just as she was gaining momentum, I often wonder what her career would've looked like in another timeline where she was still alive. She was only 23, full of energy and not all fucked up on drugs.

Reactions: Preciselyd

·
Banned
1,138 Posts
Many of the musicians mentioned were creative. But Whitney Houston had so much raw talent. What a voice. If her voice were an engine, it would be a V12.

So many people picked Bowie.... I bet it's the bulge. Horny fucks.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I voted Amy Winehouse, but maybe I wanted to vote 2PAC and/or Biggie.

Amy Winehouse is the most recent young musician who died who had a long life in front of her. She would still be like only 34 years old. Kurt Cobain was also young when he died, but he would have been 51 years old by now. If i wanted him to come back, i want him to experience 1994 to 2017 and not watching himself getting old and retiring. The most beautiful part of his life would have been behid him. 2PAC and Biggie were murdered, and didn't kill themselves because of personal problems, so in their case it was even more unfair. And their music was really great. I wonder what the world would have looked like if they were still alive.

Would have wanted Bob Marley to have a longer life too, and John Lennon not to be murdered as well, but i think they would both be pretty old if they returned to the world of the living.

I'm not voting for respected musicians who had a nice life and became yeah quite old, especially compared to others. We have to make a choice. David Bowie was 69 years old when he died. While he might have been a great musician, there is no point in bringing hem back. I think he deserves the rest he earned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts