1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Pomodoro Technique®

Get to work — The Pomodoro Technique®

http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/download/pdf/ThePomodoroTechnique_v1-3.pdf

This is a time-box system where you keep track of 25 min periods of work. It's helped me enormously over obsession with the P (perception) part of INFP. We can get so caught up in too many possibilities. It's nice to just list them all and pick one each day to work on. By breaking large goals (that paralyze us with complexity and duration) into units of 25 mins, every time I cross a task off the list it's a mental reward (dopamine) and a healthy feeling. For a timer I just use my watch and it keeps me getting things done.

Hopefully it will help some of you!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need breaks of at least 2 minutes and getting things done relieves stress because the stressors are behind you. I wouldn't use it when enjoying entertainment or spending time with people but when doing basic work it's great and then tallying it up and keeping track of what you did gives you the reality of how long it takes to complete goals and tasks so you can make realistic predictions and also to drop useless goals that just suck time.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I used to set myself goals of Fi to reward myself to achieve certain things. Whether it is a nice little item, or mini pieces of art crystals, or seeing my favourite auntie, or eating my favourite dish... I always had something. But slowly but surely I lost one by one.. these kind of joyful things. :/ And I listened to other rubbish... and "how you should live your life". I do not have as strong Fi to it any more, but I SHALL !! I will have my little nice memory recall if I wished. So there. :p

Today, I had a yummy salted freshly churned butter and bread. It brought back the memory of my family trip with my cousin to Brussels where we ate lots of bread with butter. We went a bit crazy and over the top. LOL.

I also now feel more centred too and more Fi and lovely cos I moved back to my own hometown, full of wonderful memories. :)

Maybe Fi can be learnt, especially if we take timeout and let the emotion be wonderfully absorbed, it means then we can always associate ourselves back to that ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What if you become a dedicated procrastinator because of this?

I spend a lot more time than I should searching for the MMORPGs that I'd want to play if I wasn't so busy looking for the MMORPGs that I want to play..
Well if you're an INFP you should have an idea of what activities are related to your deep values versus short-term dopamine trigger addiction. When you scratch off an item related to your deep values you'll get the dopamine hit from crossing it off your list and the timer will constantly remind you that there is some more time you can use to follow more important goals. When you are tired then REST and reward yourself with something other than MMORPGs which take too long. If you're playing MMORPGs you should stay away from them. Game developers have long known that video games relate to narcissism/ego addiction. If you want to have a healthy ego you need to get rewards based on real life achievement, not a fake digital life created by people trying to suck your money and time. Next time you play one of those just think of all the negative consequences over and over again until you naturally stop. Then go make a list of things that actually are important to you.

The most useful part of the pomodoro technique is that it breaks down goals into smaller chunks so you don't have time to feel sorry for yourself and go back to old habits. You just keep getting things done and enjoy the results. I use this for basic chores and it's such a relief to have clean dishes/clean apartment/important goals partially or wholly completed.

And like any habit the more you do it the easier it gets. I've also done Buddhist meditation to wean myself off of any dopamine addiction and after a few years of that you feel very happy and healthy and can resist addictions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts