Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of ENTP's tend to shy away from and pretend they have no clue as to what emotion is - treating as if it were some strange, purple, fuzzy creature staring at them with knowing eyes - but, I must inquire if ENTP's do ponder internally (or to themselves) on occasion about their personal feelings, or if you guys are cold, steel-built robots straight from the manufacturer.

I mean I look at it like this - a person has feelings and emotions they have to sort through; humans are not machines (I could challenge this, but no time!). At the same time I have a paranoia that I am mistyping myself (perhaps I am F instead of T).

I've asked people that know me and they say I am laid back and hardly show emotions outwardly - which when I analyzed it, it is true. I do, however squabble with my troubles internally, verbalizing them to myself as I come to conclusions through problem-solving with myself.

When other people lay onto me about their problems, I am more apt to provide practical solutions which I know they don't want to hear. I just cannot find the ability to act genuine in my sympathy.

To the point... Given my special situation (I live in Alaska, far, far away, and being home schooled since high school), not many people around to socialize with, unless you count the miles of snow and trees or wildlife (some of my best conversations have come from a withering tree, if that gives you some idea). So I am pretty much on my own most of the time, which is like being a caged animal striving to break loose from my confines. I often feel restless and experience a 'lonely' longing for social experiences that can't be reached. Is it normal for me to feel this as an ENTP or could it be that I am an F? A lot of the time I find I can ignore this feeling and do other things to distract me.

Other information about me includes, but is not limited to, the following...The only emotions I know that I express outwardly are happiness (laughing), melancholy, and anger or negativity. I am typically skeptical about everything, especially something that seems too good. Most of the time I find myself pondering over whatever randomly pops into my head, until it gets dull or I find a solution, or find something more engaging to do.

I seem to have ADHD in that not a lot can hold my attention well outside of video games - not even tv sometimes. Reading large documents or books kills me to the point of skimming. If math were a living embodiment, it would be Lucifer to me. I seem to love arguing (which I never really noticed consciously). My mom has become keen of it and at a certain point, bring an argument to an abrupt end out of frustration - to which I then become annoyed and dissatisfied that it was ended without a conclusion being reached. I am shy to a fault. I over-analyze most everything of concern, and find myself in my head too often.

Also, if you had a Lex Lutherion disdain for me, my kryptonite would be you roping me into listening to stories of your childhood and how your mom and dad used to take you to the park on Sundays and play Frisbee with the Hoffnats, while I sit by idly pretending to be interested - quickly drifting away into my day dreams.

I will close with the following: I tend to imbue most things with a dollop of humor, and a tinge of gloom. There.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Well that quickly went off-topic, haha.

And I thought everyone contemplated they're feelings? Some people talk about em, some people make art to express them, we just think about them.

Perhaps I'm mistaken...?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In what manner do you 'think' about your emotions? That is to say, explain your process so that I may compare it to mine. I wish to prick and pry at your skeley jelly for a moment.

I also find I am able to 'resonate' my emotions with music sometimes, which seems to be an F thing.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Well, you sounds pretty similar to myself... you are quite possibly and Enneagram 7, as well.

From my perspective, you definitely sound like an ENTP — especially the parts about being able to deal with the lack of social interaction, despite your desire for it. It may make you feel lonely, but you're able to come up with something else to entertain you.

As far as the music/emotions thing goes, there are actually multiple threads regarding ENTPs and the ability to express/get in touch with our emotions when listening to music.

Finally, like so many of your ENTP brethren, you seem to constantly be evaluating how you fit into the MBTI scheme, and while you feel the ENTP description fits, there are obvious differences that seem to lean you more towards ENFP. This was something I have experienced, as well, and it wasn't until I read more about the cognitive functions that I was satisfied with the ENTP label.

I recommend reading about the differences between Fe and Fi (as those seem to be more obviously different than Te/Ti). From what I've heard, mistypes between ENXPs are quite common, and it is only when you can nail down which functions you prefer to use that you will be able to make a more solid decision.

Good luck!

P.S. This might be a good thread to start with: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/63173-fi-vs-fe-101-a.html

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Sevens are not necessarily intellectual or studious by any standard definition, although they are often intelligent and can be widely read and highly verbal. Their minds move rapidly from one idea to the next, making Sevens gifted at brainstorming and synthesizing information. Sevens are exhilarated by the rush of ideas and by the pleasure of being spontaneous, preferring broad overviews and the excitement of the initial stages of the creative process to probing a single topic in depth."
-quote taken from wwwdotcantpostlinksyetbecausenot15postsdotcom

This describes me to a T when I brainstorm story ideas. I believe you may be right in the type, but am unsure where, or how this fits in with MBTI. I am guessing it's a separate system.

I do have a question regarding the Fe and Fi. If ENTP's exhibit the Fe funtion, how are they able (or willing) to argue and challenge other people if they look to others for acceptance, and easily conform to other people's ideas - surely they know they are not apt to recieve said acceptance unless they are generous, kind and courteous. Or is this 'challenger attitude' more of an impulsive N nature to be different (seeking reactions), even though the ENTP knows he will not be favored for it? It's just that Fe and an ENTP's individualistic, belligerent attitude don't seem to fit together. Seems like Fi would be more for the ENTP - have his own set of ideas, not conforming. I suppose this is what makes them so wishy washy and unrooted in their ideas and opinions.

Personally I see myself as overly Fe. I tend to conform too easily for acceptance when I'm not too keen on being spontaneous or different (I'd rather just get along for the moment), but I still have my times where I may come across as obnoxious in my attempt to be humorous or inventive with my opinions. I know others find me annoying or unbearable, but during this stint of time where I am entertaining myself, I just don't care too much. When ignored, I become agitated that no one is reacting to my prods.

Reactions: possiBri

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
@possiBri is right about everything she said. You sound like one of us to me. I think your "off" traits are being caused by a repression of your natural tendencies caused by your living environment. You know ... lack of exposure to others ... no "group" to release your extroversion into .... isolation from diversity.

Most of us don't actually give a rats ass what others think of us. We enjoy a group environment ... but we don't necessarily need their acceptance or understanding. We really only strive for those two things in people who we feel are our equals.

I'm prolly one of the more admittedly cold ENTPs in here so lemme tell you how I see emotions, but don't necessarily transmit these thoughts to your general definition of ALL ENTPs.

I see emotions as just another minor number in the cosmic equation of existence. I have them, but almost always I deem them as irrelevant. I do analyze them fairly regularly, but they hold no more weight than any other minor factor in the analysis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts