Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to forget names and other personal facts regularly, it can take me days to remember someones name , and after I continue to forget it. I forget my friends names all the time, many of which I've known for years.Does anyone have any handy ways of remembering data that an ISTP would find irrelivent. And I find my word recall can be bad as well. Am I just crazy or is this universal amonst ISTP's ?

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I would imagine many ISTP's to be kinesthetic learners unless learning style is in no way a part of myers briggs. introverted sensing is incredible for recalling vocabulary, its why an ISTJ can sometimes become a human dictionary... maybe even memorize the bible word for word.

I tend to have "words of the week," whereas my ISTJ friend's primary sources of humor comes from his ridiculous vocabulary.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Yeah, I remember faces very well, but names do not stick. I'll not see someone for a year or so, and when I see them again, I immediately recognize their face, and MAY have memories of them, conversations we had, maybe even certain characteristics about them, etc. but I'll be thinking, "who are you again?" In the past, I'd try to find out their name without them realizing it, but now, I'll just say, "Remind me of your name please" or something along those lines. Straightforward is good, for me. I'm never rude about it, but it's still kind of...discomfiting for the other person to realize that I don't remember their name.

But, there are times and people who I supposedly used to know very well that I don't remember at all. Recently, I've discovered that I apparently forgot an entire family that I used to go to church with. What's really embarrassing about it is they remember tons of stuff about me. It's become a running joke.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
As an INTJ, I also have horrible memory issues, especially with people. Almost word for word, madhatter explained it. I did some research and read one specific thing that stood out about how to remember things better. It is referred to as using Mnemonic devices, and the particular way I learned is not too difficult:

A new co-worker walks up to you and says "Hi, my name is Josy Ann, how are you today?"

Your first course of action is to repeat her name three times immediately, preferably with the conversation with her. (Yes I know, tedious and irritating, but necessary.)

"Hey Josy Ann, I'm Bill Clinton, it's nice to meet you. I'm doing well. It's Josy Ann you said?"

(People like it if they feel like you really are trying to get to know their name, so being repetitive doesn't actually come off as stupid or otherwise inefficient.)

"Yep, I work in your department now."

"Well that's perfect, we have an cubicle specifically for the next person named Josy Ann right over here."

Whatever, it's done. If you can only say it once or twice, immediately say it out loud once he/she walks away.

NEXT, and here's the really funny part, force your brain to connect those names to an object. Josy sounds (sort of) like a Hose in the shape of a "Z", and Ann sounds sort of like Ants. So think of a Z-shaped hose spraying an ant pile, and repeat "Jo-Z-Ann" to yourself while thinking that.

The POINT of this is NOT to think ridiculous things (although I've read that some people actually DO see those things after using these devices), however to force your brain to make these types of connections. Eventually you will start making these connections easier and easier, and your memory will improve. (I'm still working on mine, and I frequently forget to even try/attempt to make these connections.)

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I could never care enough to do any of that. If I can't remember something it probably wasn't all that important anyway. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the imput you guys, those tips are much appriciated

·
Registered
305 Posts
As an INTJ, I also have horrible memory issues, especially with people. Almost word for word, madhatter explained it. I did some research and read one specific thing that stood out about how to remember things better. It is referred to as using Mnemonic devices, and the particular way I learned is not too difficult:

A new co-worker walks up to you and says "Hi, my name is Josy Ann, how are you today?"

Your first course of action is to repeat her name three times immediately, preferably with the conversation with her. (Yes I know, tedious and irritating, but necessary.)

"Hey Josy Ann, I'm Bill Clinton, it's nice to meet you. I'm doing well. It's Josy Ann you said?"

(People like it if they feel like you really are trying to get to know their name, so being repetitive doesn't actually come off as stupid or otherwise inefficient.)

"Yep, I work in your department now."

"Well that's perfect, we have an cubicle specifically for the next person named Josy Ann right over here."

Whatever, it's done. If you can only say it once or twice, immediately say it out loud once he/she walks away.

NEXT, and here's the really funny part, force your brain to connect those names to an object. Josy sounds (sort of) like a Hose in the shape of a "Z", and Ann sounds sort of like Ants. So think of a Z-shaped hose spraying an ant pile, and repeat "Jo-Z-Ann" to yourself while thinking that.

The POINT of this is NOT to think ridiculous things (although I've read that some people actually DO see those things after using these devices), however to force your brain to make these types of connections. Eventually you will start making these connections easier and easier, and your memory will improve. (I'm still working on mine, and I frequently forget to even try/attempt to make these connections.)

Hope that helped.
Thanks for that advice.

I don't have too many problems with remembering names. But I do struggle IN A BIG WAY with remembering new vocabulary.

Just this week I've begun learning Chinese grammar/sentence structure/vocabulary. The biggest problem I've encountered is learning the vocabulary (not forgetting the alien system of Chinese tones to remember alongside new words + sounds).

Although flash cards have helped a lot, it's not proven to be enough (I'm having to learn 20+ new words each day). So over the next couple of days I'll try and incorprate your 'method' to learning vocab and I'll see if it helps! :cool:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I don't know how learning styles correlate to MBTI (imho they somewhat do) but if you know yourself not to be a verbal learner i.e. you don't learn well from written words and when you think you don't think in words but in pictures for example, then you will have problem remembering people's names. I also thought I have poor memory until I realized I can remember faces of most of the people who were in 2nd grade with me. So it might be poor memory just for some selective details that your mind doesn't deem important.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I remember people's names and everything about them without trying...? I thought this was what S-types did?

EG My cousin's husband's brother turned up at my work today, and I remembered his name, his wife's name, their jobs, where they lived, how old he was... he didn't even remember who I was. FFS.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have no problem remembering faces or situations even if its been years. Names are a different story. It takes me some time after i've met a new person to remember his/her name. Usually i forget it completely and after being reminded of it sometimes, im at the stage where i mix the name up with something similar. But when i first get it, it usually sticks with me. I guess it has something to do with how much i care about the person thats infront of me.

Nicknames ftw! :laughing:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I don't know how learning styles correlate to MBTI (imho they somewhat do) but if you know yourself not to be a verbal learner i.e. you don't learn well from written words and when you think you don't think in words but in pictures for example, then you will have problem remembering people's names. I also thought I have poor memory until I realized I can remember faces of most of the people who were in 2nd grade with me. So it might be poor memory just for some selective details that your mind doesn't deem important.
I actually learn pretty well from written words. Still not good at remembering names. I think the problem lies with auditory learning, at least for me anyways. Auditory learning is not my strongest learning style.

Now granted, it's probably because I don't care enough to really spare the energy to learn and/or remember random people's names.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would say I ignore unimportant peoples names, that is why I don't remember them. I will actually forget it in just one sentence while we still are speaking. I would guess my hearing memory is more selective than crap, but that's not saying it's good, it isn't. What they want and who they are is so much more important than their names. People are unique but names are not... could be it?
I will remember their body language, their expression, how the conversation went, if I liked them or not but the name, it's gone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts