Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this floating around the internet for some time, and I didn't find a copy on PerC (tell me if I missed it). I figured we could use a copy of it around here.

So, here it is.

Katherine Fauvre said:
The manner in which we experience the nurture aspect of our instinctual stacking nature is very revealing. Our positive and/or negative identifications with each type in our instinctual stacking greatly influence the way we express or repress our instinctual types.

+Positive and -Negative Identifications Within Your Instinctual Stacking
We may be positively or negatively identified with each of the instinctual types in our instinctual stacking. For example, you could be a sexual/self-preserving/social aka sx/sp/so stacking but have:
- Sexual
+ Self-preserving
+ Social
How well we negotiated the realms of self-preservation (security, nurturance, comfort, physical well-being), social (groups others, friends and foes) and sexual (pair bonds, intimate attachments, closeness, desirability) can dramatically influence our identification with each of the instinctual types in our instinctual stacking.

If we are positively identified with an instinctual type we feel greater confidence and comfort with it. One important point of interest is what happens when you are positively identified with the last instinctual type in your instinctual stacking. In this case, our third instinctual type still needs to mature and become more balanced and a part of our decision-making processes but it does not cause the same level of anxiety as the third type, with a negative identification. As such, it is easier to develop it than when we have a positive identification with the last instinctual type in our stacking.

This identification can most easily be seen in the dominant instinctual type.
A few examples…

Sexual/Intimate
Both positively and negatively identified sexual instinctual types long for their favorite, their beloved and the object of their desire whether a life partner or a lifelong friend.

The positively identified sexual instinctual type was told that they were attractive and desirable as a child by those that were close to them and often by those in their larger groups such as with their extended family, and with schoolmates and teachers. They grew up hearing things such as “You are so handsome or you are so beautiful!” “Aren’t you adorable!” “Aren’t you charming.” Most importantly, they felt that they had the ability to attract the one they most desired to have a close connection with.

The negatively identified sexual instinctual types felt that they were not desirable or not the right kind of desirable to draw in “the one” they most wanted to be close to. This is not about popularity but rather about being and having your ‘favorite; above all else. It is about being in sync and have the union, fusion, and closeness with the object of your desire, the one with whom you have exciting chemistry. The negatively identified sexual instinctual type either gives up trying or learns the tricks of the trade by adorning themselves and seducing the object of their desire with sparking conversations that includes the revealing of one’s deepest and innermost thoughts and the sharing of secrets.

An interesting point I have noticed when working with the positively identified sexual type is how much they struggle to feel attractive and desirable when they lose what they perceived made them desirable and attractive in the first place. They often feel a lot more stress than the negatively identified sexual instinctual type because they did not have to work as hard to develop the skills needed to attract their desired mate, pair bond or BFF as the negatively identified sexual instinctual type did.

Wherever they go and wherever they are they seek the special someone with whom they can deeply connect share their deeper and innermost thoughts.

Social
Wherever they go and wherever they are they seek a place or position that gives them security through status or belonging. Due to positive experiences as a child, the positively identified social instinctual type sees himself or herself as friendly and often wants to find others and/or groups to join to experience a sense of purpose and belonging. This social instinctual type is most inclined to be philanthropic.

Due to negative experiences as a child, the negatively identified social instinctual type sees himself or herself as somewhat of a loner and often wants to avoid grouping of any kind because he or she feels that others will exclude him or her or that he or she will be cast out. This negatively identified social instinctual type is more inclined to be misanthropic. He or she may report that he or she hates people, parties or groups. They usually do not realize that they are the social instinctual type because they are unaware that their attention is focused on people and what others are doing rather than their resources or their designated favorite.

Self-preserving
With the self-preserving instinct, you can be overly focused on scarcity and not having enough time, energy, or money even if you have a trust fund and don't have to work. Or you can keep track of every penny you spend and worry about expenses but have a serious disease and not monitor it. This can be seen if you eat the wrong foods, fail to exercise according to the needs of your condition, don’t regularly take your medications, and/or do not have the treatments required to manage your health issue, especially when it is a life-threatening concern.

The extreme polar opposite can be seen when the self-preserving instinctual type engages in high-risk activities without being concerned that he or she could be easily injured or have a fatal accident. For example, I have known self-preserving cp6s that are very afraid of flying but engage in extremely dangerous sports. It helps the 6 manage their fear of flying when they learn the statistics of those who perish in an airplane crash and those that crash and burn on a dangerous ski slope.

When someone is positively identified with their self-preserving instinctual type they usually have a sense of abundance. He or she feels that their hard work or the world will provide what he or she need financially and/or physically. However, the positively identified self-preserving instinctual type can identify with not having financial and/or physical needs even if they do have them or should pay better attention to them. ;)

The negatively identified self-preserving instinctual type will feel a sense of lack and that they can never have enough resources, and that the resources they do have could be taken away by some sort of catastrophe. They may bring food with them everywhere they go just in case but they will be inclined to hoard it for fear they might not have enough whereas the positively identified self-preserving instinctual type would be more inclined to share what they have, believing when they need food someone will share with them.

Your Tritype stacking, of course, would amplify this. The positive self-preserving sp/so 792 would not only share the food they brought, they would bring enough for everyone. The negatively identified self-preserving sp/so 541 would be more inclined to hide the food they have and fear that others would take more than their fair share leaving them without enough. They would also feel ‘to each his own’ and that everyone should provide for themselves.Wherever they go and wherever they are they seek security by having enough provisions, resources and physical essentials.

©1995 Katherine Chernick (Fauvre)
From Katherine Fauvre's website. More: Instinctual Types Enneastyle

I'd be interested in knowing what you guys think of this. Discuss.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
Thanks for posting!

I'd identify with negative sexual (though I guess people told me I was pretty and such when I was young, didn't help lol), negative social and maybe positive self-pres though that's usually through just kinda assuming things will work out, somehow, when I try to focus on self-pres it scares me how difficult it seems to make anything happen

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is an interesting concept.

I think that everyone's instinctual variants can definitely be impacted by the state of their mental & emotional health. I haven't seen this discussed much before, so thanks for sharing this. :happy:

One thing I'd like to note though, is that Ms. Fauvre's thoughts on the sexual instinctive variant only cover the romantic/sexual side of things. I believe what she says is true to an extent, but I think she put too much emphasis on romance. The sexual variant isn't just about desiring romantic/sexual relationships. It involves a preference for relationships on a more personal, one-on-one level; an emphasis on quality over quantity.

As a sexual variant myself, I can attest to this. As an extrovert, I love the company of people (having lots of friends that get along all in one place is very exciting to me). However, this alone is not enough. I get more out of the experience if I have a deep, personal connection with each friend/individual. I don't like to have "blanket appreciation" for a group; I want to have unique relationships with each person. And I don't have to have a BFF—I avoid having favorites because I feel that limits me—I believe that each relationship is unique.

For instance, I wouldn't pick one food over all others—sometimes I want an apple, sometimes I want an orange, and sometimes I want a strawberry (diversity is good; it keeps things fresh). And if I'm trying a new fruit, I want to try that fruit by itself before I eat it in a fruit salad with a bunch of other fruits. If I can appreciate/recognize the individual flavor first, then it makes eating the fruit salad more enjoyable because I can identify each flavor and therefore have a better understanding of how they interact with other flavors.

Also, there is an intensity that comes with the sexual variant that isn't really found in the other two variants. The level of commitment I have to my friends is as intense as the level of commitment that most people have to their significant other, and the level of commitment I have to my significant other is more intense than what most people have at all.

For me personally, this is amplified by my being a Type 2 with the desire to help & support others, along with my having Fe as my dominant function.

Basically, the object of desire is more often a deep closeness with other people individually than it is for that one perfect relationship. And I'd say that perhaps that is a sign of a healthier Sx variant—one who doesn't think the answer for their worth relies on one close relationship.

I know that this is just the tip of the iceberg on this subject, but this is all I've got for right now. :Smilies1:

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
...Sigh.

The "negative" part sounds like trying to explain low self esteem (needlessly, btw) with a pointless new "theory."

Also a stupid description of what SX is.

And it just opens the floodgates for even more excuses for mistypes.

Edit: Oh and it ignores the unfortunate societal fact that women (and some men) are encouraged to focus way too much on their appearance, often regardless of stacking.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Well, I don't know if her descriptions are the best, but I find the idea of it interesting. I think it can be good in a way, because I definitely see some who identify an instinct as last because their relationship with it is negative, but imo that's not necessarily the case. A negative focus on something is still a focus. Now I don't know if you need something like this to clear this up, but it could help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
...Sigh.

The "negative" part sounds like trying to explain low self esteem (needlessly, btw) with a pointless new "theory."

Also a stupid description of what SX is.

And it just opens the floodgates for even more excuses for mistypes.

Edit: Oh and it ignores the unfortunate societal fact that women (and some men) are encouraged to focus way too much on their appearance, often regardless of stacking.
Yeah. But honestly, over time I came to learn that expecting something valuable from Fauvre's works is like expecting Donald Trump promoting respect for women, more gun control and peace on earth at any cost. Quite improbable.
About her work and theories: if it looks like crap, it smells like crap, and feels like crap, it is probably just...

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Yeah. But honestly, over time I came to learn that expecting something valuable from Fauvre's works is like expecting Donald Trump promoting respect for women, more gun control and peace on earth at any cost. Quite improbable.
About her work and theories: if it looks like crap, it smells like crap, and feels like crap, it is probably just...
The Fauvres' (or just hers) ideas start out okay and then quickly devolve into things that make you go wtf. It's generally the community that theorizes her ideas into something better.

This idea could be okay if it didn't so closely resemble low self-esteem and mental health issues (among the other criticisms I have). I can get behind how an instinct manifests unhealthily, regardless of where it is in the stack, sure. If you take away this +/- context, I even like how she describes what is more commonly called counter-SOC. But I don't think it should go quite this far, as it adds very little substance overall. There's no real benefit to adopting these terms over anything else already used.

Also in skimming over it again, her "negative SP" sounds dubious as to what real "negative SP" would be. (I expect more like, over- or under-eating, hoarding, that kind of stuff.)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Brilliant! Thanks for posting. It's been so hard to find new research done on the Enneagram lately - sometimes it seems like online is just the same old reiterations of the basic type descriptions. Gets kinda boring after a while.

Actually, the only part of this that I dislike is the fact that it's a bit too binary IMO. Negative sexual makes sense for me, but I identify with a few of the positive traits as well despite being predominantly negative. It's not like I never was able to connect on a deeper level with others, but it happened very rarely and always blew up in my face. Hence, negative.

Overall, I like this. It's simple. It doesn't overcomplicate the instincts, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Definitely negative So here. I've had some slightly similar but unformed thoughts about this concept in the past, so it's nice to see someone articulate it.

As with other psychological theories, however, the attempt to put everything on childhood experiences needs to stop. I didn't develop a negative So outlook until adulthood, and it's based on things I figured out and experienced in adulthood.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Negative on SX and positive on SP, not sure on SO. I want to join groups and fit in. I do feel more philanthropic than misanthropic but there's also alot of anxiety about whether or not I will fit in to the group and what the group thinks about me. I can find myself rejecting groups that are too exclusionary or where I'd have to be someone I was not in order to be accepted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts