Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
These intro posts are always so awkward, but here goes. :tongue:

My name is Elsie (as far as you know, I might actually be Angela, Jessica or Dawn) and I'm a college aged nerdy cowgirl. At heart. But IRL too. Weird enough for you?

I first started my personality type journey about 5 years ago. Something happened in my life that brought my little world crashing down on me and made me question everything I ever thought I knew. I learned a lot, hurt a lot, contemplated what would happen if I committed suicide and all that jazz. During that time, I pulled a serious ENFJ and did a crazy amount of compulsive research on personality types. I don't know how I even found out about it, but something inside me seemed to think that finding out what box I fit into would help me find... Me. Because I didn't know who Me was.

Turns out, even though I mistyped Me over and over and over again, somewhere along the way... I found her. I haven't got a full fledged grip on her details yet... But I don't think she's getting away from me again. I know she'll evolve, change and grow. But I think I know who she is at the core.

Now, I might have it wrong and I feel I still need help. Or maybe that's just the strange need I have to always be on the search for truth. This community has already been such a big help to me! Your resources, your communications, your friendliness, make me feel at home even though I've just been a stalker up 'til now.

Thank you all for making this such an amazing place. I'm excited to be able to join you all. :happy:

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings LadyCourage and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum LadyCourage. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello, I am quite delighted to meet you! I hope your PerC expiereince is fulfilling, I underwent a similar situation last year and now I have developed and grown a great deal in my personal understanding of myself.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Hey, pleasure to meet you.

Make yourself at home; and yes, I remember the good old days of stalking these forums, reading theory and just being amused by the banter. Wait a sec, that wasn't that long ago. You know what, it's totally cool to question everything. Including your type. Toss around absurd theories, and see if they hold true. There's no right or wrong type to be, and there's tremendous variety inside each type too which makes it impossible to feel boxed in. Which makes it even better. And, if you discover you're of a different type, that's cool too.

I started my spring cleaning later, after university. I went to school with hopes of becoming a concert pianist, raised believing in the education system, equality and hard work, then something happened. Didn't finish my bachelors, in spite of having to fight my parents to let me study music. I started teaching piano and reading a lot of books on everything, and anything. And, in turn completely disposed of and reassessed everything I was taught, believed in and worked for. Long overdue, but, for a while there was a time where nothing was enjoyable. Complete apathy.

What felt like a catastrophe was really a blessing in disguise. Aside, have you read Freud? He proposed the idea that our unconscious leaks into the world, and these seepages can be anything from a slip of the tongue, to dreams and perhaps lead to a rejection of certain aspects of your personality. The last bit is an extrapolation, but still.

What more to say? Welcome.
-- Michal (or Dave, Steve or ...)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Is it finding yourself or facing yourself that is the hardest part? I often wonder this to myself. It's good to see you are doing both. You really are LadyCourage to come out and say everything as boldly as you did. I'm impressed. :) Btw I'm glad to see that somebody besides me stalked these forums before joining too. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!!

Hello, I am quite delighted to meet you! I hope your PerC expiereince is fulfilling, I underwent a similar situation last year and now I have developed and grown a great deal in my personal understanding of myself.
Thank you! I'm glad to meet you too!!
Now I truly believe that before you can start to understand others, you must first understand yourself. It really opens a new world, doesn't it?

Hey, pleasure to meet you.

Make yourself at home; and yes, I remember the good old days of stalking these forums, reading theory and just being amused by the banter. Wait a sec, that wasn't that long ago. You know what, it's totally cool to question everything. Including your type. Toss around absurd theories, and see if they hold true. There's no right or wrong type to be, and there's tremendous variety inside each type too which makes it impossible to feel boxed in. Which makes it even better. And, if you discover you're of a different type, that's cool too.
I'm sure "absurd" is quite an appropriate word to use for me and my theories. LOL But seriously, thank you. I'm still learning about all the types and it's truly enlightening. This forum has been of so much use and entertainment to me already.

I started my spring cleaning later, after university. I went to school with hopes of becoming a concert pianist, raised believing in the education system, equality and hard work, then something happened. Didn't finish my bachelors, in spite of having to fight my parents to let me study music. I started teaching piano and reading a lot of books on everything, and anything. And, in turn completely disposed of and reassessed everything I was taught, believed in and worked for. Long overdue, but, for a while there was a time where nothing was enjoyable. Complete apathy.
Wow. That took quite a bit of courage to switch course after you'd already got started. Are you happier now for that?

What felt like a catastrophe was really a blessing in disguise. Aside, have you read Freud? He proposed the idea that our unconscious leaks into the world, and these seepages can be anything from a slip of the tongue, to dreams and perhaps lead to a rejection of certain aspects of your personality. The last bit is an extrapolation, but still.
I have not read Freud, yet. Partly because I just haven't got around to it and partly because there are a lot of scoffers around me, saying he's a nutcase. I wouldn't know, but it seems like an unfair assessment from what I've heard of his work. I'd like to read him, someday. His work has had so much influence on our society, it seems only in the interest of understanding some of where our ideas come from to read him. That theory is very interesting... Slip of the tongue, to be sure. Now, the rejection of certain aspects of your personality... That's something I'd never considered. What an interesting idea.

Sounds like something I should definitely check out.

What more to say? Welcome.
-- Michal (or Dave, Steve or ...)
lol Thank you, and touché.

Is it finding yourself or facing yourself that is the hardest part? I often wonder this to myself. It's good to see you are doing both. You really are LadyCourage to come out and say everything as boldly as you did. I'm impressed. :) Btw I'm glad to see that somebody besides me stalked these forums before joining too. :D
Aww... Well, thank you. I figured if I was gonna do it I might as well do it. :laughing:

Thank you again, everyone! I look forward to further interactions with you on the forum!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hi all,
During that time, I pulled a serious ENFJ and did a crazy amount of compulsive research on personality types.
Hello, ENFJ? Meet your inferior function, Ti.

Sincerely, your opposite,

ISTP.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... but, nutcases are so much fun to read. There's just no better literature; I lied, things are more interesting when they're banned. Freud was a pioneer. His ideas are both brilliant, revolutionary and at times, wrong. Have a look at Introductory Lectures in Psychoanalysis, and, do remember: sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

If you get a chance, check out Confessions of an English Opium Eater, Thomas de Quincey. I wanted the book originally for its shock value during my teens. Ten years later, it was sitting in a thrift shop. Amazing. I promise you, its not drug binge writing in the style of Hunter S. Thompson, but, a critique of poverty of east London, a synopsis of addiction, withdrawals, and perhaps the first book to explore the ideas of dreams, hallunations, perceptions and their influence of the psyche. Written 100 years before Freud.

Oh, and I never did finish school; just left and kept practicing, and then, it just hit me. Why? It was less an act of courage but more an act of desperation. I do miss being in my twenties and having a social life, and just meeting people. Not so much the academics. I gather you're in psych, or lit, based on the scoffers. :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi all,
These intro posts are always so awkward, but here goes. :tongue:

My name is Elsie (as far as you know, I might actually be Angela, Jessica or Dawn) and I'm a college aged nerdy cowgirl. At heart. But IRL too. Weird enough for you?

I first started my personality type journey about 5 years ago. Something happened in my life that brought my little world crashing down on me and made me question everything I ever thought I knew. I learned a lot, hurt a lot, contemplated what would happen if I committed suicide and all that jazz. During that time, I pulled a serious ENFJ and did a crazy amount of compulsive research on personality types. I don't know how I even found out about it, but something inside me seemed to think that finding out what box I fit into would help me find... Me. Because I didn't know who Me was.

Turns out, even though I mistyped Me over and over and over again, somewhere along the way... I found her. I haven't got a full fledged grip on her details yet... But I don't think she's getting away from me again. I know she'll evolve, change and grow. But I think I know who she is at the core.

Now, I might have it wrong and I feel I still need help. Or maybe that's just the strange need I have to always be on the search for truth. This community has already been such a big help to me! Your resources, your communications, your friendliness, make me feel at home even though I've just been a stalker up 'til now.

Thank you all for making this such an amazing place. I'm excited to be able to join you all. :happy:
welcome this'll help http://personalitycafe.com/intro/139009-welcome-all-new-members.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts