Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken the myers briggs personality test many times. Each time I take it my "T" gets higher, along with "N" and "J".

Last time I took it this was this summer. This was my score. 100%E, 50%N, 88%T, 49%J. I then read the description of the ENTJ followed by the ENFJ. I then realized that I had the ENFJ's ability to read people, manipulate, see others motives, and I also have very good people skills like the ENFJ. I know however that I have the Thinking preference. I am highly logical, my feelings rarely if all get hurt, and I have that classic ENTJ way of destroying people's feelings with a single sentence (but I will not always choose to do so.)

I suppose what I want this thread to be about is, do you believe that it is possible to develop traits of other types while still being your original type? And I don't just mean, develop but never use, I mean to fully use it interchangeably with your true preference at will. I believe you can and that I have. It's actually quite functional.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Yes. It's awesome that I'm a chameleon, but the obvious downside is that I can't figure out my type yet, especially when my functions are in the process of developing.

But, of course, the theory revolves around preference and not ability. :) Otherwise, I'd be a surefire NT.

·
Registered
675 Posts
possible to develop traits of other types while still being your original type?
You seem like a T, since you wrote in well-structured paragraphs. Many feeling types have the stream-of-consciousness thang going on.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I understand your question, since types in Jungian psychology refer to the architecture of one's mind, not behavioral traits. It isn't like someone eats a bag of Cheetos and becomes an ESTP, if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. It's awesome that I'm a chameleon, but the obvious downside is that I can't figure out my type yet, especially when my functions are in the process of developing.

But, of course, the theory revolves around preference and not ability. :) Otherwise, I'd be a surefire NT.
I disagree, I think that it can revolve around both preference and ability, at least as far as using it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i completely agree. i too have tested my self numerous times over the span of two years and have always scored NT although the I/E for tend to swap on how i feel about the world around me at the time of testing. Also my J/P i have noticed swapping before when my personality turns lazy and laid-back. I feel like i have all the superpowers of the Intellectual clan :crazy:

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i completely agree. i too have tested my self numerous times over the span of two years and have always scored NT although the I/E for tend to swap on how i feel about the world around me at the time of testing. Also my J/P i have noticed swapping before when my personality turns lazy and laid-back. I feel like i have all the superpowers of the Intellectual clan :crazy:
Haha Sweet! I know it's awesome! I also have to "LOL" at your comment: Also my J/P i have noticed swapping before when my personality turns lazy and laid-back.

This was what I was looking for!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Before you completely disregard Bowden, he brings a good point. I have also noticed correlations with paragraph structure and cognitive functions. My guess is you have a dominant Te. I also wonder if you have Si based on other comments. Who knows.

I also recommend the cognitive functions test that RhoAlpha mentioned. It's way more reliable. Other MBTI tests make it too easy to choose answers towards the result you want.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before you completely disregard Bowden, he brings a good point. I have also noticed correlations with paragraph structure and cognitive functions. My guess is you have a dominant Te. I also wonder if you have Si based on other comments. Who knows.

I also recommend the cognitive functions test that RhoAlpha mentioned. It's way more reliable. Other MBTI tests make it too easy to choose answers towards the result you want.
I wasn't dismissing him because of his paragraph structure comment. Okay I'll take the test. Also, Si means introverted sensing right?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Err I'm not sure I like this test. It's hard to figure out what they are actually asking because of the wording.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Err I'm not sure I like this test. It's hard to figure out what they are actually asking because of the wording.
Its a pretty good assessment of your cognitive functions. I have another test but it takes almost a full 20 minutes to take. If you're interested I can send you the link.

Determining type, in my opinion, is best determined when considering mainly cognitive functions.
Reading the profile of an ENTJ and saying simply, "that is so me!" isnt relevant enough. It's about how we think, and those tests can be helpful.

If you dont want to take the test because of lack of understanding of the questions, you can always read about each cognitive function and determine in each order which one you relate to the best.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a pretty good assessment of your cognitive functions. I have another test but it takes almost a full 20 minutes to take. If you're interested I can send you the link.

Determining type, in my opinion, is best determined when considering mainly cognitive functions.
Reading the profile of an ENTJ and saying simply, "that is so me!" isnt relevant enough. It's about how we think, and those tests can be helpful.

If you dont want to take the test because of lack of understanding of the questions, you can always read about each cognitive function and determine in each order which one you relate to the best.
Yeah, I would like to take the other test. I know that the results I got in the last one are wrong. ISTP. From what I have read, I am everything like the ENTJ. I'm not sure you'll believe me but. I am a total Extrovert, I plan like their is no tomorrow, I am logical in almost every way, and very out spoken/ judging. I don't know how I got that.

Okay, I just read the ISTP profile again and there are a few things that are close but most of it is the exact opposite of who I am.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
That's why it's a good test. If you can't figure out what they're asking then you won't have a bias to answer certain ways.

I mean, how hard is it to navigate your end result with those other tests?

Do you like being in crowds? Why yes!!!!! I'm an E!! (I mean, it's obvious if you say no, your result will lean towards introverted. Right?)

Do you live in the present? No, I'm future oRiEnTeD!!! I must be iNtuitive! (S and N questions are obvious too. Most tests are simplistic in that they categorize S as pragmatic, which coincides with living in the present. And N categorized as theoretical, coinciding with future oriented. I'm sure you see the patterns.)

Do you make decisions with your heart? Absolutely not! I eat cow's heart for dinner!!!! I must be a T!!! (F/T, c'mon, tell me these questions aren't obvious)

Do you like structure? OMG!!! YES I DOES! I must be a J....WHOA, I"M AN ENTJ!!!! (You get the drift. These tests are too predictable which makes them unreliable.)

So, what are your results with the cognitive function test?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Oh, I have also figured out my type by reading the cognitive functions, I'm still a ENTJ.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Also, how did you get a thinking of 115 and a feeling of 6? I didn't think the scale worked like that?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Also, how did you get a thinking of 115 and a feeling of 6? I didn't think the scale worked like that?
The other test is www.4np.net/ddli/

And to answer your question, the results I got on my signature are from that test and not the other one I linked you (keys 2 cognition).

Troisi makes a good point.
If you dont know the questions that well its better to make an educated guess on how you rate them because you are less likely to be bias on your answers.

If you got ISTP, what were your second and third options? They usually say something like "if this doesnt fit you then try these two other MBTI types:" which it will then list two.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

And to answer your question, the results I got on my signature are from that test and not the other one I linked you (keys 2 cognition).

If you dont know the questions that well its better to make an educated guess on how you rate them because you are less likely to be bias on your answers.

If you got ISTP, what were your second and third options? They usually say something like "if this doesnt fit you then try these two other MBTI types:" which it will then list two.
Oh, the others were ESTP, or INTP. I just don't fit those profiles. I have never once taken the MBTI hoping to get the ENTJ result. I do to the best of my ability to be non biased. Yes, it would be harder to get your results the way you want them on the keys 2 cognition test but, if you can't understand the questions is it really any more accurate? I found that test to be very confusing, and I have an really well rounded vocabulary. Half the time I wasn't even sure what they were asking. Anyways, this thread wasn't started to debate if I can get into the ENTJ fan club or not, or my honesty of being an ENTJ. You can either believe or not.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Just took the other test.

Muahahah

Extraversion (E): 68 18 :(I) Introversion
Sensing (S): 15 67 :(N) iNtuition
Thinking (T): 126 7 :(F) Feeling
Judging (J): 84 11 :(P) Perceiving

What did I tell you? ENTJ!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never questioned your type.
You did by posting this thread.
No not really. I wanted to know what others thought about being able to interchangeably making use of different cognitive functions at will. I was merely using myself an example. I wanted to know if anyone else did it. I never wanted this to be about me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.