Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've been thinking about type a great deal lately as I've just entered college, which of course entails a lot of "Who am I?" questions. I've narrowed down my type to INFP, INFJ, INTP, and INTJ and then further narrowed it down by analyzing my cognitive function use. I sat down at my desk and literally started writing out how I use functions and how well I use them. Since we all use all of the functions, it was difficult for me to pinpoint which ones I use most comfortably, but here goes:

Most Comfortable Using: Ni, Te, Ti
Borderline Use: Ne, Si, Fi, Fe
Uncomfortable Using: , Se

My top used functions, Ni, Te, and Ti I use without realizing most of the time. My borderline functions are used, but sometimes not well or with fear, Fe is the greatest example of that. I only care about how people feel when I feel that there is a possibility of me being criticized. Fi, I don't really trust. I have strong feelings on things, but I usually stifle them with thought and theory. For example I don't like seeing people smoke cigarettes and when I see someone I know smoking, I usually get a bad feeling, but I don't let that feeling dominate me and I usually don't say anything about it. If that person lived with me, I would be more critical. It's pretty obvious that my poorest function is Se, no matter which way I look at it. I'm horribly awkward physically and I hate having to be present in the current environment. It stresses me out big time and I have problems just acting on things at first sight.

Looking at INTJ functions and comparing them to my experiences

Ni: I use this all the time. I see vague images of ideas and concepts. I see images of things that haven't happened yet, things that happened years ago, and things that have never happened at all. I'm really imaginative and I heavily lean on visualization. It also serves as a vague planning mechanism because I "see" the way things should turn out.

Te: This is a hard one to sort out because online descriptions describe Te has being organized, but they never specify what type of organization. Materially, I'm horribly disorganized. I lose things and I don't sort my belongings well at all. I'm not a sloppy person, but a disorganized one. At the same time, when it comes to my life style, I'm insanely organized. When my friends tell me they want to do something, I want a definitive plan with no fluff in there at all. I want to know EXACT time and place. I've really seen this manifest in college as I constantly stick to a routine of going to sleep fairly early while mentally chastising my hall mates for staying up late and being loud. I'm very prone to making lists and I enjoy schedules because they give me some direction....I hate freeforming stuff and I hate having to think on my feet. I like to plan things out....and that means EVERYTHING. It's very rare that I just let stuff happen. Even when on vacation I force my family to have activities planned out because I'll get upset floating from one activity to the next. I always have to have some sort of activity planned.I enjoy acting and having fun, but only when it is limited or structured in some way. Even when I'm relaxing I jump form activity to activity but only when I see that there's time to do so. At the same time I'm a procrastinator, but not in the sense that I forget that I have to do something. While I'm procrastinating, the thought of the incomplete task blinks in the back of my mind until I finish it. I still procrastinate, but I always honor deadlines. Is this Te? Or does my material sloppiness and procrastination take away from that?

Fi: This function is a shaky one. I get strong reactions to things, but only within the context of Ni. I get emotional reactions to things based on my PERCEPTION of them, but I never rigidly stick to those reactions. For example, today on campus two of my friends did something that raised a bit of anger in me. Strong anger. It felt like they did something wrong, but I still knew that objectively they didn't do anything wrong at all. I was still angry, but I saw how I could be seen as at fault for my reaction. Also this reaction wasn't visible at all. Despite my anger I was able to continue on as if nothing had happened. It's not usually like this. Sometimes I get struck by feelings so strong, I can't help but acknowledge them. I'm a male, but I'm fairly sensitive and when things get bad enough and I'm in an extremely private setting, I will cry. Not all out bawling, but a few tears. These spells don't last really long. As a kid I was much more outwardly expressive, but it was usually my reactions to my feelings that only raised more feelings. I'm afraid of snakes so my fear of snakes will actually pull up the tremendous shock at feeling fear.

Se: I despise using this. I mentioned procrastination earlier. Yeahhhh I'll plan to do something and I mean plan it down to the finest detail and sometimes I'll just never act on it. I've thought on a few great plans that I've never acted on. When I DO use this, it's disgustingly bad. I become super aware of every single flaw in my environment and I become irritable and extremely critical. Like right now as I type this, I had a pretty rough day with classes and I'm sort of tired. The friendly banter and loud laughter of my hall mates across the hall is cute, but I'm hyper aware of every sound that they make and I'm silently criticizing them for their lack of self control. If I were even more irritated or in their presence, I would openly criticize them for their lack of self control, but that usually only happens during extreme circumstances.

Based on this somewhat lengthy analysis, do you think that I'm an INTJ or something else?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You need to go back and learn more about cognitive functions. Your description of Te is actually Je. Your description of Fi is a common reason why people get so confused between feeling functions. Feeling function is a judging function, leave out how you feel and deal with your emotions because its not that relevant. Fi is subjective, it's an internal judging process of values of the self. It is independent and not focused on group values. Fi is concerned with inner harmony and balance. Fi has nothing to do with whether you want to cry or not. Everything is internalized and set upon how we value ourselves and our feelings.

Fi will be moved to help others selectively because they have affected them. Fe is group oriented where harmony is concerned. Fe will help the group regardless if they mean anything to them.

Your description of Se is irrelevant. I don't know what you are, but I don't think you are an INTJ.
Read more up on cognitive functions and consider taking a cognitive functions test.

INFP: Fi-Ne-Si-Te
INTJ: Ni-Te-Fi-Se
INFJ: Ni-Fe-Ti-Se
INTP: Ti-Ne-Si-Fe

And don't just cherry pick which functions look appealing to you. Actually sit there and consider in order what functions are your preference. Take the test.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds to me, based on what you've written, like you're Ni-dominant, which would make you either INTJ or INFJ. If you try to plan things out in order to realize your internal "vision", then that is definitely an Ni-dom trait.

As far as sloppiness, procrastination and the propensity for planning go, i'd say these have more to do with whether one is a judger or a perceiver than with the usage of a particular function like Fe. Based on what you've said about how you always plan things out, your need for structure, and how you always follow through and complete things on time, even if you procrastinate, i'd say you're a judger. A perceiving type is more liable to take on multiple projects or explore multiple interests without always being able to finish what they started, because they are constantly scanning for new ideas. Even if your stuff is disorganized, it seems like you organize things in your head, and don't feel much of a need to organize the physical objects in your room to make them neat. This seems to me, again, to point to an Ni-dominant and Se-inferior type.

As far as Fi and Fe go, I would look more into what "feeling" is all about in Jungian terms. All types have emotional reactions to things. The T vs. F divide is based on whether you tend to think in terms of impersonal structures, or in terms of values, whether between and among people (Fe), or one's personal value system (Fi). Thinking and Feeling are both active, rational functions, so when you use either of them, you are actively thinking and deliberating about things. It's just a matter of what you're primarily deliberating about, which is for you to determine. I would look into whether you use Te or Fe as an auxiliary function, and learn more about Te specifically.

As for Se: Sensing, like Intuition, is a passive function, so it is not something you really "use", as much as it is something that just sort of happens to you. Just like you can't make yourself get the intuitive visions that Ni gives you, if you use Se, even as an inferior function, you can't make yourself not take in sensory details. I wouldn't worry too much about your Se, though, if you're certain that it is not one of your top functions. If you can figure out your dominant and auxiliary functions, then you'll know your type.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Reactions: sworm09

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to go back and learn more about cognitive functions. Your description of Te is actually Je. Your description of Fi is a common reason why people get so confused between feeling functions. Feeling function is a judging function, leave out how you feel and deal with your emotions because its not that relevant. Fi is subjective, it's an internal judging process of values of the self. It is independent and not focused on group values. Fi is concerned with inner harmony and balance. Fi has nothing to do with whether you want to cry or not. Everything is internalized and set upon how we value ourselves and our feelings.

Fi will be moved to help others selectively because they have affected them. Fe is group oriented where harmony is concerned. Fe will help the group regardless if they mean anything to them.

Your description of Se is irrelevant. I don't know what you are, but I don't think you are an INTJ.
Read more up on cognitive functions and consider taking a cognitive functions test.

INFP: Fi-Ne-Si-Te
INTJ: Ni-Te-Fi-Se
INFJ: Ni-Fe-Ti-Se
INTP: Ti-Ne-Si-Fe

And don't just cherry pick which functions look appealing to you. Actually sit there and consider in order what functions are your preference. Take the test.
Your description of Fi was pretty freaking good. It's actually somewhat interesting that my immediate response to your post was to internalize and personalize it. I've taken tests before, but they're hilariously prone to subjective bias. I wouldn't really say that I'm cherry picking, but I guess I would say that. With your description of Fi though, being typed as INFP in the past suddenly makes a heck of a lot more sense. You see I'm not alone in saying that Jungian Feeling is ACTUAL feeling. What I've been saying on functions is actually based on things that I have read online and there they talk about how emotional Fi is.....but as you brusquely put it, that's not Fi and if what you're saying is indeed true about Fi being a system by which one makes internal, subjective judgements, I am indeed an INFP. Group values are only important in that I'm afraid of criticism....but it's nothing that I strive for, which rules out INFJ. Contrarily, I'm near obsessive about internal harmony. Good post there!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fi =/= emotion

Fi = subjective values; prioritizes internal harmony, individualistic.

Fe = "objective" values; prioritizes external harmony, collectivist.

Appears to be between INTJ and INFJ since you seem to use dominant Ni and inferior Se.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Group values are only important in that I'm afraid of criticism....but it's nothing that I strive for, which rules out INFJ. Contrarily, I'm near obsessive about internal harmony. Good post there!
Doesn't rule out INFJ at all. I think it more likely rules out INTJ. I am 'afraid of criticism' in that it makes me feel like crap, but I simultaneously don't give a crap about group consensus because i'm a bit of a rebellious INFJ. I am also near obsessive about internal harmony - can you please expand on what that means for you?

I've noticed that INFJ males tend to go two ways. Either they are very T and appear quite INTJ like, or they are fluffy unicorns like the most emo of emo INFJ females. You don't appear to be the latter, you have a semi-INTJ vibe but not quite. You seem more INFJ to me, but that's just based on "touchy feely lala intuition", so feel free to ignore :p

Some questions:

1. What are your hobbies and interests?
2. When you do an assignment at college, what is the process you go by in order to "do the best you can". Do you leave it til the last minute, do you research widely, do you try to understand marking criteria and do the least work possible, etc?
3. When you're stressed out, how does your personality change?
4. Do you have any 'addictions' or tendencies to 'binge' on any unhealthy type behaviours? If so; what and when?
5. What was your experience socially as a teen and how did you go in the friends department?
6. Kill one: Puppy or kitten.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't rule out INFJ at all. I think it more likely rules out INTJ. I am 'afraid of criticism' in that it makes me feel like crap, but I simultaneously don't give a crap about group consensus because i'm a bit of a rebellious INFJ. I am also near obsessive about internal harmony - can you please expand on what that means for you?

I've noticed that INFJ males tend to go two ways. Either they are very T and appear quite INTJ like, or they are fluffy unicorns like the most emo of emo INFJ females. You don't appear to be the latter, you have a semi-INTJ vibe but not quite. You seem more INFJ to me, but that's just based on "touchy feely lala intuition", so feel free to ignore :p

Some questions:

1. What are your hobbies and interests?
2. When you do an assignment at college, what is the process you go by in order to "do the best you can". Do you leave it til the last minute, do you research widely, do you try to understand marking criteria and do the least work possible, etc?
3. When you're stressed out, how does your personality change?
4. Do you have any 'addictions' or tendencies to 'binge' on any unhealthy type behaviours? If so; what and when?
5. What was your experience socially as a teen and how did you go in the friends department?
6. Kill one: Puppy or kitten.
1. Well I'm fairly interested in things such as the Tarot, Astrology, and Qabalah because they take broad, complex topics and narrow them down to abstract symbolism. I really like symbolism and interacting with symbolic or abstract elements. I'm a big fan of films that involve heavy symbolism; I'm a huge Kubrick fan because I enjoy all of the subtle meanings he laced into his films. I'm also pretty focused on personal development. If there's a chance for me to improve myself or there's an idea that can help me to improve myself, I'm all over it. I enjoy reading, particularly archetypal stories. One of my favorites is the Hobbit because it's a textbook example of The Heroes' Journey. I enjoy narratives where characters develop and change over the course of a narrative because it reminds me of something that I would like to do myself. Of course personality theory is another one of my interests.

2. When doing an assignment I usually first see what the minimum requirements are so that I can see JUST how far I can go. I look at grading to see what I would have to do to get a particular grade. I usually won't start on something when I don't have all of the required information. For example I have an assignment in my college algebra class, but I'm not going to do it until I'm positive that I understand this week's section. Once I understand something I'll usually procrastinate on it, but it bothers my while I procrastinate because at the back of my mind I know that I still have to do such and such. No matter how much I procrastinate I always meet deadlines, unless I am completely unaware of the deadline. It's extremely rare that I'll try and turn something in after a deadline. I guess my working strategy is to do the work with the least amount of effort in the quickest amount of time but I aim for the best I can possibly do during that time. I work almost entirely in short bursts.

3. When I'm stressed out I become irritable and much more openly critical than normal. I'm at my most loud and argumentative when I'm very stressed. When I get overwhelmed by something I usually try to run away from it or I try to close up. When stressed out due to social activity, I become irritable and distant. When stressed out over work I become frustrated...and I usually have to express that frustration in some way...through stomping or actually throwing a fit when no one is looking. The best way to say it is that when I become stressed I'm much more hostile and explosive.

4. Addictions to behaviors....I have a horrible addiction to questioning myself and my decisions. I'm constantly second guessing myself and I have to be absolutely sure of something before I make a decision on it. The problem is that I don't aim that skepticism at others, just myself. Sometimes I'm not really sure about how I feel in a given situation because I question it from a billion different perspectives. That gives me a great deal of problems actually taking action because I question myself every step of the way before actually doing anything. I'm also am a tad compulsive in being subservient to others. It's pretty rare that I'm overtly assertive and I have a tendency to see others as more deserving or worthy than myself. I'm generally soft spoken around stronger personalities, but around some people I border on being bossy, but I never really force others to bend to my wishes because it makes me feel bad. It's difficult to describe; I'm not exactly selfless but I yield to others very easily, especially under pressure, without thinking.

5. In high school I was in the interesting position of being the guy that was on decent speaking terms with everyone, but close friends with very few. I wasn't an outcast but I also wasn't very popular. I was just sort of there. People only wanted to be around me for short periods of time, inconsistently. I knew people that would talk to me one day and completely ignore me the next...that caused me a lot of pain. I also got criticized a lot because I wasn't going to parties, drinking, or having sex. People tended to look down on me because of that. I got the image of the "gentle guy" during high school: placid, innocent looking, quiet, yet extremely warm and friendly once you get to know me. Of course being known as the "gentle guy" sucked when it came to dealing with other guys.....they got some kind of sick pleasure out of just messing with me...probably because they knew I wouldn't do anything back. But, to be clear it was never full fledged bullying or verbal assault, just a snide remark here or there. When people actually did push me too far I would actually explode on them at one time...I've scared at least 10 people that way because they never suspect that I'm capable of holding anger, and when I just lose it, it's a shock. Ummm I held deep resentment toward many of my classmates because I felt like they were somewhat shallow and superficial. I saw looks and appearances trump good personality and intelligence day after day, and it bothered me. The more superficial popular kids tended to get bored with me because I don't outwardly show emotion or any expression around people that feel threatening. I'm actually very expressive socially, but only with people who don't feel threatening...it usually has to happen that way over time. But yeah, that was my experience. Not a complete social screw up, but not one of the popular kids either.

6. This is hard because I don't want to kill either. I've had a puppy before and I know how cute they can be but I also like kittens. Is it necessary to kill one of them? I guess if you were to put a gun to my head, I would say puppy...but I wouldn't feel great about it.

As for expanding on the idea of internal harmony.....I strive for a feeling of internal piece and certainty like in those that I observe around me. Everyone else seems so sure of themselves, but I"m constantly beating myself up, analyzing myself, and doubting myself.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Yeah sorry I only included #6 for my own amusement. Quite evil of me. :blushed:

I reckon you're an infj. For a few reasons. First, intjs don't really ask others what type they are. ;-)

But more seriously; you talk a lot about how things make you feel. Plus intjs and astrology are a damn rare combo. Lol

I would expect an intj to be more guarded in their responses to my questions too, even though infjs are very private too, you seem to categorize your thoughts more like an infj than intj. Additionally; there seems to be a fe-thing happening in your post where you're working things out as you express them.

Your needing to express outwardly when you're upset seems more fe than fi to me too.

*I'm a bit of a noobcake with mb so...perhaps ignore me ;-) but my verdict is infj. But the chances of being either intj or infj are lower than the others. I'd start with cognitive functions and rule some out before progressing. Probably easier to start at the end and work backwards...which functions do you definitely not identify with...etc.

I was confused between a few too; but when you look at fi v fe...the differences are pretty huge. Ditto ni/ne te/ti..etc.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't think you are an INFP. And to be honest you don't seem like a dominant judger to me. You come across as a dominant perceiver (Ni.) You are definitely not an INTJ especially about the disliking criticism part. You also are clearly Je. Ya sound INFJ to me. You also express a kind of fluidity and awareness of your emotional states that I find dominant or auxilary Fe types exhibit.

You are not an INTP nor are you an INFP you don't seem dominant with judging.

·
Registered
Infp 7
956 Posts
I think you're an INTP. Remember, every type could be imaginative, lean to visualization, etc or be interested in Tarot, Astrology, broad complex topics.

What strikes me the most of your INTP-ness are :
(Most Comfortable Using: Ni, Te, Ti)
-When doing an assignment I usually first see what the minimum requirements
-For example I have an assignment in my college algebra class, but I'm not going to do it until I'm positive that I understand this week's section. Once I understand something I'll usually procrastinate on it, but it bothers my while I procrastinate because at the back of my mind I know that I still have to do such and such. No matter how much I procrastinate I always meet deadlines, unless I am completely unaware of the deadline. It's extremely rare that I'll try and turn something in after a deadline. I guess my working strategy is to do the work with the least amount of effort in the quickest amount of time but I aim for the best I can possibly do during that time. I work almost entirely in short bursts.

-I have a horrible addiction to questioning myself and my decisions. I'm constantly second guessing myself and I have to be absolutely sure of something before I make a decision on it. The problem is that I don't aim that skepticism at others, just myself.
-In high school I was in the interesting position of being the guy that was on decent speaking terms with everyone, but close friends with very few. I wasn't an outcast but I also wasn't very popular. I was just sort of there. People only wanted to be around me for short periods of time, inconsistently. I knew people that would talk to me one day and completely ignore me the next...that caused me a lot of pain.
-I got the image of the "gentle guy" during high school: placid, innocent looking, quiet, yet extremely warm and friendly once you get to know me. Of course being known as the "gentle guy" sucked when it came to dealing with other guys.....they got some kind of sick pleasure out of just messing with me...probably because they knew I wouldn't do anything back.

Passive aggressiveness, indecisiveness are usually problems in P personalities, especially in INTPs and INFPs. INTJs problematic characteristics are usually stubbornness, inability to be tactful and selfish attitudes. Your description about being labeled 'the nice guy' is so rare for an INTJ. INTJs detest social rules, and will make sure people knows about it. INTJs also stood out from the crowd as oppose to being a wall because they are just that weird.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this discussion really necessary? I'm sorry for the short temper but just take the test, it will save you a lot of trouble and it usually gives an accurate answer.
I HAVE taken the test. Multiple times. I've found that your results can easily be corrupted by state of kind and subjective bias. I also find it difficult to just take results without questioning them first. I've scored INFP, INFJ, and INTP.

Also VivanScrooge, are you sure INTP? My Enneagram type is 6w5, which may contribute to that. Or I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What worked for me is check YouTube for some comparison videos between types. Just search for INFJ or INFP or any type you might suspect you are. Recommending the 'type vs type' videos from DaveSuperPowers and DoctorJuice.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If by "test" you mean the one referred by personalitycafe I can understand your confusion. I just took it and I consider it to be highly inaccurate. 24 questions are far from enough to give an accurate answer in my opinion, and it also means every small change has great impact on the results. MBTI tests with few questions usually tell I'm an INTP although I know I'm 100% INTJ. Even if my J score is only slightly higher than my P score, there is no doubt I have a J preference

Since I can't post links if I have less than 15 posts :)rolleyes:), write "personality test" in google and click the first link.

EDIT: human metrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp (remove space)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you're an intj. You seem like an Ni and you use Te more than Fe. I've gone through the same process as you have, and the way I figured my type was by comparing myself to other intj's and infj's. The"no feelings" stereotype about intj really made me question my type. The way I look at it is that we feel a LOT, it's just that we don't understand what to do with those feelings. That's why a lot of us try to act like we are unaffected by emotions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If by "test" you mean the one referred by personalitycafe I can understand your confusion. I just took it and I consider it to be highly inaccurate. 24 questions are far from enough to give an accurate answer in my opinion, and it also means every small change has great impact on the results. MBTI tests with few questions usually tell I'm an INTP although I know I'm 100% INTJ. Even if my J score is only slightly higher than my P score, there is no doubt I have a J preference

Since I can't post links if I have less than 15 posts :)rolleyes:), write "personality test" in google and click the first link.

EDIT: human metrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp (remove space)
I took that test above and got INTJ.

Preferences go: Introvert (100%) Intuitive (38%) Thinking (1%) Judging (22%)

Veeerrryyy slight preference for Thinking over Feeling.

I took yet another test and received the following breakdown:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.9)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************************** (38.2)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************** (29.8)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.1)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26.9)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************** (20.9)
limited use

This gives me INTP. Then I took yet another test:

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (25%)
Ti (Introverted Thinking) (55%)

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (30%)
Ni (Introverted Intuition) (70%)
Se (Extroverted Sensing) (15%)
Si (Introverted Sensing) (40%)
Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (50%)
Fi (Introverted Feeling) (20%)

And got INFJ

Then I took the Personality Cafe Test and got:

Ni-Si-Ti-Te-Fe-Fi-Ne-Se

and that gives me INTJ, ISTJ, or INTP as closest types.

Looking at this, I consistently prefer,if only slightly, Thinking functions over Feeling functions (xxTx)

Now to determine if I'm a J or P. Since I prefer Thinking over Feeling, it's either Ti or Te. In all of the tests that gave results in cognitive functions, Ti usage is higher than Te usage. With the Thinking function being introverted, that makes me an xxTP.

Since I am an introvert that prefers Thinking over feeling AND Ti is an introverted function, it is my lead function (IxxTP).

My next function would have to be an extraverted perceiving function. I have Se and Ne left. Ne gets the advantage here making me an INTP.

Do you think I'm overlooking anything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.