Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be pretty much a textbook INFP... I was given the MBTI almost a year ago by a 50ish year old "mentor" figure who is a professional writer. He sat me down and gave me this test, which at the time, I had never heard of... He told me to read over these 16 different blocks with a bunch of blurbs in them and choose the one that fit me. I chose a block, and upon completion of the test, found I had actually chosen the block that matched my end result. INFP.

"Not many people can do that. Shows you've got strong introspection" he said. He also told me he was the same type.

I had no idea what this acronym, "INFP" meant, but as he started reading the description, it was almost creepily accurate. I became slightly obsessed with the MBTI and through that obsession was able to strengthen my weaknesses...

So here I am today. Much as happened over the course of a year and I feel much... wiser. I feel more intelligent. I recently retook the test and scored INFJ. My F/T function was split at 50/50 and J was 1. This wasn't that surprising as I do actually FEEL a change in my behavior and thinking. I feel less like an INFP.

I feel more cynical about the world and recently was subject to what I feel was a true epiphany. I realize the futility of humanity and cannot understand how those around me can even function with such short-sightedness; blind to the fact of their inevitable death. I fail to understand how they do not realize this. Will they have an unsolvable existential meltdown only on their deathbeds? I cannot relate to people like I once did... The superficiality and vanity in which they live their lives is bothersome. Kim Kardashian's divorce offers me absolutely nothing. What do these people live for? We are all dust and in 100 years our efforts will be unremembered. Don't get me wrong. I am not a nihilist. I believe this epiphany I had was from God. The gravity of these thoughts never hit me with such force... I feel different.

Well, back to the INFJ thing... I used to be into conspiracy theories. Still am (if that helps at all). My F/T function is split 50/50. I believe I use the T as a follow up to my initially strong F function. As far as P/J goes, I used to be very open-minded to the point where I was almost un-opinionated. I felt like I was too uneducated and I needed more life experience and knowledge to come to concrete opinions. Now I feel like I have much stronger convictions and opinions about things. I still approach things with an open-mind, but I most likely will have an opinion. I am suspicious of people and am wary of ulterior motives. I have a very strong intuitive nature. My friends (especially S types) cannot fathom my ability to pick apart and pin someone down for who they are upon one meeting with them. I guess we intuitive types can have startling accuracy. This is actually very entertaining to me as they perceive me as having a sixth sense. Hahahah. Fun fun.

If I choose to, I can very creatively verbally assault someone, although I have never done this. It's not in my nature. I am very nice to everyone and withhold my judgement. Co-workers tell me I never talk, am too shy, etc, but they also know that I open up to those who I connect with. I must be on a close intellectual plane... Otherwise I have nothing really to say. To almost all the S types (75% of the population) I come off as rather aloof and enigmatic. Ask me anything....

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, which one are you, and which one do you want to be?

Split between the J/P function distinguishes two very different types. As it goes, INFP is Fi > Ne > Si > Te, while INFJ is Ni > Fe > Ti > Se. I used to test as INFP throughout high school, and then took the humanmetrics.com test and got INFJ with a 1% on the J as well. You have to remember that Ni is a dominant perceiving function, and since it has the most strength, INFJ's can look like P's. Same goes for INFP's and Fi, except that it is a dominant judging function.

Since I'm assuming you're asking which type you are, I would take a look at this thread (specifically that first post on that page). Don't try to rely on type stereotypes to determine your type, since we all share commonalities with each other. Also, don't forget that you are looking for which type you are, and not one you want to be ~ it is very important in the long run. I wanted to be ISFJ once, and it totally hindered my development.

G'luck. :happy:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts