Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Food I.. ate?

I had this at a café on my lunch break yesterday.
It's called kouign amann.
Apparently all the rage in the States, after the rage with the 'cronut'.
I didn't know til I read about it. I picked it from the glass case because it had a foreign name. That's what I told the server. I thought it sounded Welsh... but it's Breton language. French pastry.

I have my own photo of this. It's not so pretty though. And I already ate it to take another...
It has burnt apple pieces on top that look like raisins.

·
Registered
Mature Sage
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Food I.. ate?

I had this at a café on my lunch break yesterday.
It's called kouign amann.
Apparently all the rage in the States, after the rage with the 'cronut'.
I didn't know til I read about it. I picked it from the glass case because it had a foreign name. That's what I told the server. I thought it sounded Welsh... but it's Breton language. French pastry.

I have my own photo of this. It's not so pretty though. And I already ate it to take another...
It has burnt apple pieces on top that look like raisins.
That looks amazing
*googles recipe*

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Too bad I didn't take a pic of tonight's dinner since it turned out but I will add my recipe. Unfortunately, there are no measurements since my cooking style is to wing it.

Black Bean Jalapeno Steamed Salmon

Ingredients:
- Salmon fillet cut into rectangles approx 1"L x 3/4"W x 3/4"D

Sauce Part A:
- Ginger fermented dried black beans
- Light soy
- Oyster sauce
- Sugar
- Sesame oil
- Rice wine

Sauce Part B:
- peanut oil
- minced ginger
- minced garlic

- Spring onions sliced or finely julienned, your choice
- Cilantro coarsely chopped or left whole in small sprigs
- Deseeded jalapenos sliced into thin ring

1. Heat some water in a steamer.
2. Lay salmon rectangle flat onto a metal steam proof dish with side that are around an inch deep.
3. Mash black bean with a mortar and pestle or mince with knife, then mix with the balance of sauce part A.
4. Heat peanut oil to lightly smoking and fry ginger and garlic until fragrant (sauce part B).
5. Add sauce part A to sauce part B and reduce over heat until the sauce has a thicker consistency.
6. Pour over the salmon rectangles and steam for ~4 minutes.
7. Remove steamer from heat but don't remove the lid. Allow the salmon to steam in the steamer for another 10 minute without heat.
8. Remove salmon from steamer and strew with cilantro, spring onions and jalapeno.

·
Registered
Mature Sage
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too bad I didn't take a pic of tonight's dinner since it turned out but I will add my recipe. Unfortunately, there are no measurements since my cooking style is to wing it.

Black Bean Jalapeno Steamed Salmon

Ingredients:
- Salmon fillet cut into rectangles approx 1"L x 3/4"W x 3/4"D

Sauce Part A:
- Light soy
- Oyster sauce
- Sugar
- Sesame oil
- Rice wine

Sauce Part B:
- peanut oil
- minced ginger
- minced garlic

- Spring onions sliced or finely julienned, your choice
- Cilantro coarsely chopped or left whole in small sprigs
- Deseeded jalapenos sliced into thin ring

1. Heat some water in a steamer.
2. Lay salmon rectangle flat onto a metal steam proof dish with side that are around an inch deep.
3. Mash black bean with a mortar and pestle or mince with knife, then mix with the balance of sauce part A.
4. Heat peanut oil to lightly smoking and fry ginger and garlic until fragrant (sauce part B).
5. Add sauce part A to sauce part B and reduce over heat until the sauce has a thicker consistency.
6. Pour over the salmon rectangles and steam for ~4 minutes.
7. Remove steamer from heat but don't remove the lid. Allow the salmon to steam in the steamer for another 10 minute without heat.
8. Remove salmon from steamer and strew with cilantro, spring onions and jalapeno.
Google says I can use a colandar as a steamer hack if I don't have a steamer. I'm gonna try it.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Google says I can use a colandar as a steamer hack if I don't have a steamer. I'm gonna try it.
It's a great hack but with this dish, you need a flat dish with 1" sides since you need to retain the sauce that's poured over the top of the salmon. When the salmon's steaming, the steam will condense into water in the dish and mix with the sauce that drips off the salmon and helps to poach the salmon on the sides of the pieces, retaining moistness. The end result thin sauce can be poured over the salmon and rice (I recommend rice with this dish to soak up the yummy juices).

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
This is something I make almost every day. It's just 2 cups of spaghetti squash, 2 cups of baby spinach, about 2 tbsp. unsalted tomato sauce, and like 1/4 cup Earth Balance Butter + salt and Italian seasonings to taste. I put this all in a pan and cover it for 10 min. Then I mix it together and voila! I love it:

I had already posted these in the Health & Fitness forum:

Recipe:
Sliced tomatoes and baby spinach on sourdough. I made it into garlic bread toasts. I toasted the bread, spread on some earth balance butter, pressed fresh garlic onto each and spread. I steamed/lightly sauteed the tomatoes and spinach. Sprinkled with salt and Italian seasoning. I really enjoy the combination of flavors.
-------------

Recipe:
Black bean burger (frozen) on sourdough with guacamole, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and spinach. Sprinkled with some Italian seasoning.

·
Registered
Mature Sage
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm about to post a pic of food I plan on making tomorrow
probably homemade pizza XD

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
You never see purple carrots where I live. all orange. I think I read they're supposed to be that color, but were crossbred or modified somehow to be orange.
I've sampled all of these colors except the red ones which I can't seem to find.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
Wiener Schnitzel

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Glad you made this thread, Dulcinea :smile: I was actually going to make one along the same lines
Sauce Part A:
You didn't ferment the beans yourself I'm guessing? I've never seen that product here, though we have good variety...
I want a tomato!
:proud:
I have been collecting small tomatoes myself since the start of fall
I have the dark cabernet, yellow cocktail, orange grapes and green tomatillo
It would be awesome if the carrots tasted different from each other!

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
Peking duck.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Chicken or fish with pretzel crust or other types of yum-crust.
:proud:

These lo0k g0od to0.
:kitteh:

Looks like I won't be getting rid of this gut any time soon.
:blushed:

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
Portuguese cod

Reactions: Judson Joist
1 - 20 of 33 Posts