Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
bleh bleh-BLEH
ur type is my type
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
feel free to explain why. (or not.) but i dont think this thread exists yet! there's a lot of songs that i like but there are a few in particular that i deem personally significant, be it either because of the memories that i associate with it or the lyrical content in of itself. felt like it would be nice to have a place where we can dump all those [songs]. i'll start :)

love this song to death ! i think i posted about it in another thread but in general, lorde has personally created music i find incredibly cathartic. i more-or-less love all her songs but this one takes the cake. there was a period of time where i almost exclusively listened to this for a month, i'm pretty sure. helped me get through a bit of a rough time with getting over someone that i really cared about and i especially love the instrumentals that act as the bridge in 2:23 and lasts until 3:15. it makes me feel so, so much every time i listen to it.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

Not in the literal sense, but as an interpretation of the difficult themes in life, adapted into mine particularly. I think about depression and struggling with it for the sake of other people, pushing it to the furthest as one can, until they break themselves. But before the obliteration, momentarily inspiring hope, and investing false hope in someone else. Losing them, losing importance, losing self, into the deep dissociative states. Altering self simultaneously and finally having psyche break into pieces that cannot be put back together afterwards. Noticing something is broken in other people and in this world, unable to react in any other way than destructive, progression of emotions, from anger to sadness, realizing no one is to blame and hoping everyone would be set free.

tl;dr: this song breaks my heart. it's so simple yet complex at the same time.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I heard this song when I was recovering from a pretty bad breakup.

I've heard a couple of her songs before, but it was the first time I came across this one. And somehow the preface hit me, when she said: 'This song is to remind you that, you deserve to be loved as much as you love someone else'.

Sometimes you need a reminder.

9,999 Posts
Reactions: FishOni

·
bleh bleh-BLEH
ur type is my type
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i think the title of the album (dressed too nice for a jacket) encapsulates how i felt at the time so incredibly well. it's the feeling you get when you go to a party and know that you're going to see an ex: you put in so much effort to dress up, put on make-up, etc. just to remind them what they're missing out on only to walk in and see that they're with someone else. you're obsessed with the prospect of trying to make them think that you don't care about them anymore when the truth is that you couldn't care more (why else would you have prepared for that long?) and they couldn't care at all. they moved on and you still haven't.

after the guy i liked left out of state for boarding school, he came back a few months later to visit a house party of a mutual friend's. i remember taking at least an hour to dress up. wore an overly fancy dress, put on layers on layers of cakey make-up, and wore heels that were way too high for comfort. i think i had this moment in my head where i would come in and he would see me and come to this groundbreaking epiphany that leaving was a mistake; it was clear none of that was the case when i talked to him. i remember as the night went on, feeling gradually hurt at the realization that he felt happy having left in ways that he wasn't when he was still here and we were still friends. he was making new memories and i was stuck in a cycle of rumination over the ones we made months back. in my head, he was the same person that he was when he left but he changed and i don't think i had fully processed that during the party. we stayed relatively long and we talked for a bit but after i left, i distinctly remember experiencing this gut-wrenching moment where i was like, "oh... okay. it's over."

·
Registered
772 Posts
I listened to this song when I was going through a dark time in my life. A family member had committed suicide. This song helped me grieve and deal with loss.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice, I could make you a list. :laughing: The first to come to mind was this old song from an old game. While I struggled as a teenager it almost seemed to tell me "everything's going to be okay".

9,999 Posts
The saddest and most hopeful breakup song ever written. Now I just need to find someone to break up with...

·
bleh bleh-BLEH
ur type is my type
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

shortly after i tried to cut things off with someone that meant a lot to me (hurt too much to be around them, unrequited feelings, etc.) i discovered this song. couldn't stop playing it the second that i heard it and cried at least half the times i listened to it. it kind of describes what in my mind is the feeling of wanting to stay in a relationship that's kind of lost its magic - and the two of you have acknowledged that things aren't working out anymore but you can't just let it go. i especially love the line at 1:25: "i care for you still and i will / forever / that was my part of the deal / honest, we got so familiar"

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
the song:

the deal:

this is the one place in lucia di lammermoor where everyone comes together and there's a moment of possibility for the duration of it. the whole opera kind of hangs in the balance. it's like the eye of a hurricane where compassion overrides everybody's hostilities. and then this aria ends and the whole thing spirals back out of control.

edgardo has just gatecrashed lucia's wedding to someone else, and he says 'what restrains me in this moment? her pain, her fear.' he doesn't say it in this many words, but what he is saying is he can't hate someone so fragile.

and her brother, who tricked her into the marriage, is honest here. 'she's my blood, and i've betrayed her'.

the why:

this is the way that i felt when my dad was out of his mind and i was visiting him. he was 92 and a woman who thought she'd be getting his house went all the way to try and separate him from me when i showed up and started supporting him. she literally absconded with him and convinced him he was in danger from me. the cops had to be called in to go get him back, and by then he was psychotic and terrified of me.

it took two entire months for the older-adult protection authorities to get a restraining order. so i'd go see him at the hospital every day; and every day after i left he would phone the people who had made him sick and they'd re-fill him with the same fear and loathing respecting me.

this song is the story of what it felt like, and why. i kept going back because no matter how hateful he got, i could see he was terrified. hardest thing i've ever done in my life, probably, but he needed me.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts

Lyrics:

Now you've got something to die for

[Verse 1]
Infidel, Imperial
Lust for blood, a blind crusade
Apocalyptic, we count the days

Bombs to set the people free
Blood to feed the dollar tree
Flags for coffins on the screen
Oil for the machine

Army of liberation
Gunpoint indoctrination
The fires of sedition
Fulfill the prophecy

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
Send the children to the fire
Sons and daughters stack the pyre
Stoke the flame of the empire
Live to lie another day

Face of hypocrisy,
Raping democracy
Apocalyptic
We count the days

We'll never get out of this hole
Until we've dug our own grave
And drag the rest down with us
The burning home of the brave

Burn

[Chorus]

The song has a view that I can certainly agree on. It means something to me due to (most likely) a feeling of confirmation on my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts