Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I'm a little burned out on looking up youtube links for the moment, but I'm having STRONG feelings/suspicions that Brahms was a classic INTJ.

For a good example, let's take the Op. 118 no. 6 Intermezzo (don't listen to Glenn Gould's version, anyone else, except a little kid on youtube -- it's not that hard to play, but it needs a mature hand IMHO).

The reasons?

(i) Brahms always seemed to be pulling out of his Te -- by working within traditional forms, by reworking old fragments (in this piece, the Dies Irae of old).
(ii) Despite what some have called his cold, intellectual approach (compared to some of the more program-music oriented Romantics of his contemporaries), the bulk of his piano music is a very warm, over-flooding intuitive approach. Intuitive in his approach to being daring at creating dense, almost unheard-of chords at the piano (I don't know his orchestral work very well, just his piano works).
(iii) From what little I know of his life, I see a kind of inferior Se. Despite his youth as, essentially, a whorehouse piano player scrambling for change, he appeared to be a little aloof, distant, not an easy person. Except for his life-long association with both Robert and, especially, Clara Schumann.

There's more that could be said, probably, but it all screams INTJ to me.

//////////////////////

Also, just off the top of my head, Herbie Hancock's original version of "Maiden Voyage" off the record. Herbie was an electrical engineer by training, a child prodigy legit music pianist, and continues to date AFAIK to be a very self-improvement guy, with his passion for various styles of Buddhism. Also, his experimentation, always planned to the utmost, never failed to be groundbreaking, but somehow, never spontaneous (you know, the instrumental funk of his Headhunters).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I first thought of a song for INTJ and I figured a Dark Tranquillity one would do it, but after looking at a list of their songs, I found more correspondences. (Seriously, this band is made for the IN types.)

For functions/function axes:
A VERY GOOD personification of Ni:

"Have you come here to warn me / Of what I cannot see? / You want to tell me something / But you do not have the words"

Any Introvert who is a Fi-Te axis user (the feeling of being exiled, rejected, "I brought you fires / All that you put out / I brought you fires / For I cannot be without"), but especially the INs (INFP & INTJ):

·
Registered
170 Posts
For types:
INTJ:
(Especially for the N in INTJ):

INFP:
(This is a good change of style because I saw the songs posted for INFP were the "soft" kind, which is the main stereotype associated with INFP, disregarding the strong dark & heavy side of the type.)
"Wear the mask / Be the mask / You hide behind / You're not supposed to see / I know you're faking it / So take a look around, / Zero distance / From where do you see yourself? / Zero distance / How far are you willing to go?":

INFJ:
(Pondering about social psychology, as usual):
"The patted shoulder remembers / The elbowed side resists / Encircled ad nauseam / An enemy to define ourselves / An enemy to refine our hate"

INTP:
(First, I thought to put "Cornered" in order to complete a Dark Tranquillity set for all IN types, but this less melodic Tool song fits better with a Ti dom musically speaking.) Could also fit any xNxx, but the lyrics are perfect for Ti+Ne:
"Overthinking, overanalysing separates the body from the mind / Withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind. /.../ Reaching out to embrace the random. / Reaching out to embrace whatever may come."

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
@ewdenore - Great call on the Eels song.

I see INTJs musically as structured and adding variations on a theme. Like Philip Glass, but not as repetitive and obvious. Here's one that illustrates what I mean:

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
@iNdependent

Damn you. I was going to post 'Iridium' for INTJs. Well, I've got another perfect pick for INTJs in grip. Inspired by Raskolnikov from 'Crime and Punishment', here it is:

For ENTJs:

One day you'll walk the world and keep in mind
The heart you've been given in winter time
And through the bitter cold, with opened eyes
You'll find the strength to fight and stand upright

ISFP:

1 - 20 of 589 Posts