Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

I'm going through a really bad break-up right now and was wondering if anyone has any song suggestions that can be comforting during and after a break-up.

This one has been awesome.
But that's all I got, besides some Imogen Heap.

I'm looking for some songs that provide hope and encouragement to move on and that everything is gonna be okay.
I started listening to some angry and depressive songs, but it was really too much. I'm already feeling really hurt and angry and need to move away from that.

Anything would be appreciated much, thanks

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Stay strong and navigate those rough waters of the heart with the prospect of sunshine again to keep you company. Sunshine always comes back and it is always within you; you need only find it.

I Will Survive-Gloria Gaynor (The "I've Accepted My Pain But Deny it Ownership Of Me" anthem)

That's The Way It Is - Celine Dion (From one powerful woman to another)

Soulmate- Natasha Bedingfield (We all long for the same thing, but we have to go through the rough times to better understand what's the "right fit")

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm just going to list the songs, because to post videos of all of these would be obnoxious, I think.
Some are a little more optimistic than others- I listened to one of them during one break up or another.

Also, if you ever are needing some sadder or angrier songs, I have plenty of those too.
(...was dumped seven times...not to mention breaking up with two other guys...)

I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling with this. If you'd like to shoot me a personal message I would love to talk to you and help you. :) I've got too much experience in the breakup-arena and lots of empathy to share.

Here's a starter list.

Taylor Swift- Dear John
Katy Perry- Part of Me
Kate Havnevik - Halo
Ingrid Michaelson - Maybe
Demi Lovato - Everything You’re Not
Ingrid Michaelson - Be Ok
Temposhark ft. Imogen Heap - Not That Big
Emerson Hart- I Wish the Best for You
Relient K - Up and Up (the acoustic version is really great too)
JoJo- Too Little, Too Late
Ingrid Michaelson- Starting Now

Reactions: Jamie.Ether

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cheerful music...ENTP-style.

YMMV

Also, I got some REO SPeedwagon...might be from before your time. First two minutes just set the stage, after the 2:00 mark, it's just the sort of inspiration I think you are talking about.

Reactions: Ramysa

·
Banned
748 Posts

I cannot turn to see those eyes
As apologies may rise
I must be strong and stay an unbeliever
And love the sound of you walking away

I think it ends on a slightly too sad note, though. There are more songs from Franz Ferdinand's "You Could Have It So Much Better" album that have the same theme.

This may be perfect for you:

Why don't you try to do without him?
Why don't you try to live alone?
Do you really need his hands for your passion?
Do you really need his heart for your throne?
Do you need his labour for your baby?
Do you need his beast for the bone?
Do you need to hold a leash to be a lady?
I know you're going to make, make it on your own.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses and kind words, guys.
It's a really hard situation right now... I broke up with him because of his drug addiction. He's addicted to opiates, has been lying for over a year, saying he hasn't been using. I read a text in his phone a few nights ago and found out he was buying heroin. He had asked my friends for money that night, said it was for something else... Everything just adds up now. He was always "tired". He's just so numb from the drugs, I don't think he knows how much this hurts me because he is just so numb...
I love him... but his addiction is tearing me apart. It will always come first over our relationship. He will lie and steal and hide and deny to protect his habit, and it breaks my heart that there is nothing I can do about it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ok don't laugh but when I was going through my breakup I couldn't listen to normal breakup songs or songs about not needing anyone or partying or anything normal. I needed the comfort of children's television and yo gabba gabba helped me get through.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
a few of my favs

[video=dailymotion;x2eqdt]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2eqdt_billy-joel-the-longest-time_music[/video]

[video=dailymotion;x154i4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x154i4_brian-may-too-much-love-will-kill-y_music[/video]

[video=dailymotion;x58c0]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58c0_queen-its-a-hard-life_music?search_algo=1[/video]

[video=dailymotion;xxyco]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxyco_queen-somebody-to-love_music[/video]

Reactions: Lady Nurture

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's a really hard situation right now... I broke up with him because of his drug addiction. He's addicted to opiates, has been lying for over a year, saying he hasn't been using. I read a text in his phone a few nights ago and found out he was buying heroin. He had asked my friends for money that night, said it was for something else... Everything just adds up now. He was always "tired". He's just so numb from the drugs, I don't think he knows how much this hurts me because he is just so numb...
I love him... but his addiction is tearing me apart. It will always come first over our relationship. He will lie and steal and hide and deny to protect his habit, and it breaks my heart that there is nothing I can do about it.
I'm sorry things turned out this way for you. Give yourself time to heal and get yourself back on track and you'll thank yourself for breaking it off when you did. It's much better for you to be with someone who can actually be there with you and would choose you over any addictions like that. The longer you let it go on, the harder it is to let go. I know it hurts so much. I hope you'll be able to get over it asap so you can continue to enjoy all the great things life has to offer.

Reactions: Jamie.Ether

·
Registered
169 Posts
There may still be hope. Do not give up. People with addiction need a lot of help and support.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't post a link because I don't have enough posts, but search youtube for "Makeup For Break up★分手妝容(100%原創)★"

It has a nice message and song as well.

Strength to you...

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine how hard that must be for you to feel so betrayed. I think you made the right decision- it would have been unwise to stay in a relationship with him at this point in his life. You have every right to move on and find someone who will put you first. I know that is probably the last thing you want to hear, but it's true.

This likely won't help you now, but I hope that someday it will...

When I was in highschool, I had a boyfriend who I was absolutely enamored with. On a whim, with no warning, he left me and absolutely broke my heart. I was devastated. It took me months and months to deal with the pain and denial of our relationship being lost.
It was three months after he left me that I started dating another guy. I thought he was just a rebound. (Maybe he was!) Regardless, I fell in love with him. And right now he's sitting next to me, channel surfing, as my husband.
The reason I bring up this story is this- I never would have thought that my ex leaving me would be the situation that brought my husband and I together. In my devastation and brokenness, I never could have imagined that something better was on the way.
If I had ended up marrying my ex-boyfriend, as I likely would have, had he not left me, I would have found myself in a miserable, miserable marriage. I can only say that now, looking back at it. I couldn't possibly have seen that at the time, because I was so attached to him and so hurt by him leaving.
All this to say, I know you are hurting so badly, and I am so, so sorry for you. My wish for you is that you can find some sort of hope and peace, even if it comes months or years from now, in the hope that something better is on the way. Whether that be rehabilitation for him and reconciliation for your relationship, or a new guy who can and will love you more than he ever would have.

Another song that popped into my head that you might find helpful-
Which to Bury, Us or the Hatchet by Relient K

1 - 20 of 72 Posts