Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time after seeing a really good movie or tv show, I get depressed for no reason. After seeing one, I look up everything I can find about that movie, listen to soundtracks and rewatch some parts. It stays stuck in my brain for a week and I just feel sad all the time. (okay it makes me sound like a crazy person)
It's worse with tv shows. Supernatural and Sherlock broke my feelings. :sad:

Have you ever had post movie depression?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hmm... I don't know if it's exactly the same thing, but I get something similar. Anything really beautiful, like a painting, a symphony, etc. makes me feel really withdrawn and sad. Like, I enjoy it, but then I feel inadequate because I feel like I could never create something so great... the material doesn't even need to be sad, though yes, sad movies stay with me for ages. I enjoy them, but I'll watch them once and never re-watch. Too intense.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was devastated after watching the final episode of Merlin. It was emotionally draining and then to know that Merlin's been waiting all these centuries is heart breaking. I also feel that way after reading good books. You don't want it to be over. It's because of the emotional connection you feel to the characters. You don't want to say goodbye.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
643 Posts
Ah I know what you mean! Not necessarily the sadness that it ended, or that characters are taken away, though that comes up, too.... But a kind of happy sad because of something that has real impact.

Maybe it's because I find a lot of sad-ish movies are the best...

I think this kind of melancholy feel for me lasts for a rather long time after watching a movie, depending on how great I think it was, and how well the impact from it sits with you and perhaps grows stronger with time. I get kind of obsessive and sad (yet happy?) about a movie, too... Looking it up, maybe memorizing some lines, downloading the soundtrack, re watching, asking others if they have watched it... Etc.

I can remember this happening with Space Odyssey 2001 (hence username), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Les Miserables (even tackled the book, too), most Wes Anderson films, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Shining...

Maybe we get sad about our real lives after this? That it isn't as amazing as the movie? I don't know, but for me, it's a happy kind of sad. Very enneagram 4-ish. I get very reflective and creative (and obsessive about a particular movie or scene) in a melancholy, somber kind of way.

Ah, I think I'm just as baffled and riddled with this emotional response, too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Haha ! Yes!

I was hooked on Death Note and watched the whole series in a week. The week before my finals. That was a bad idea.
Any Way ..
When I found out L died, I was depressed for 3 days.

I think our Ni helps us to understand how the characters are feeling and what's really going on emotionally in the movie/show. Plus we do get attached to the characters easily, especially in a supernatural world with supernatural characters.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Every romantic comedy I have ever watched.

mfw im a dude
mfw im the only dude I know who likes romantic comedies
mfw dunno if im weird cause of this

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Haha ! Yes!

I was hooked on Death Note and watched the whole series in a week. The week before my finals. That was a bad idea.
Any Way ..
When I found out L died, I was depressed for 3 days.

I think our Ni helps us to understand how the characters are feeling and what's really going on emotionally in the movie/show. Plus we do get attached to the characters easily, especially in a supernatural world with supernatural characters.
I'm like an outcast in my group of friends because I judge a movie on the relationship the characters have with the audience and each other. I complained that the crew in Aliens were an unlikable crew so when they eventually died, it didn't have the kind of effect it would have had if the audience liked the crew from the start.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I’ve been watching a lot of films lately. And, I always get the same nostalgic feeling as soon as I hit play—it’s the feeling that I know it’s going to end, and that I’m going to have to return to my life once more. If I could sit here, getting lost in another person’s world forever, if I could just watch a movie which never ends, I might know happiness.

Reactions: Beappreciated

·
Registered
319 Posts
Every time after seeing a really good movie or tv show, I get depressed for no reason. After seeing one, I look up everything I can find about that movie, listen to soundtracks and rewatch some parts. It stays stuck in my brain for a week and I just feel sad all the time. (okay it makes me sound like a crazy person)
It's worse with tv shows. Supernatural and Sherlock broke my feelings. :sad:

Have you ever had post movie depression?
Yes^ this...so much, just...exactly. I'm so happy to know I'm not the only person who does this.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am probably not INFJ, but i do get that feeling a lot... everytime i finish series... House M.D, k-dramas...

I quess it is because i unconsciously identify myself with character and it is emotionally drainning.

This feeling is more like emptyness. Like i will never have life like that or smth...

·
Registered
3 Posts
ahh, this feeling is simultaneously beautiful and the saddest thing in the world. beautiful because it makes me happy to be in a world where people can create such wonderful things and it reminds me of how i also have a chance to do so, sad because i often become too empathetic towards characters and i can't get out of their feelings for a while afterwards. the best is when you read or watch something that makes you see the world as though it's a new beginning, if that makes any sense. like it's changed your perspective on life. an advance screening of the place beyond the pines three weeks ago made me feel this.

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,900 Posts
Intwesting.

I'm an INTP and I don't really experience this. It sounds like it'd be nice (even for the following sadness?) to get into a story like that, though. Personally, I think I mostly might just feel some disappointment at the end because the good show/story's over, but that usually lasts a few seconds. I have felt kind of upset if a story has revolved too much about an issue I personally related to that was bothering me greatly. Sometimes something nonfictional that is disturbing/depressing (such as killers) will make me feel kind of overwhelmed if I read a lot about it in a sitting. All in all I generally don't really get emotional over stories, whether they're truth or fiction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts