Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still new to the forum but I wanted to ask everyone what some of their favorite books are.

I normally hate reading books being a dyslexic and all and not being able to pronounce anything correctly but I've got a 40% off for borders and want to give it a try. I just wish I could Google while reading and have it speak the word to me and explain what it means.

Anywho I'm looking for an adventure novel I guess...please nothing extremely hard to read. :wink:

So start posting your favorite books in this thread! and if you get a chance could you recommend something for me?

EDIT: Damn I was going to title this Post your favorite books. Well good enough.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Little Prince is one of my all time favorites.
Wow I not looking for something that easy to read. lol I am in college. :) but hey maybe I should still find it online and read it anyhow for confidence. Maybe I'm being hard on myself... i do read A LOT online just not novels. I'm just moderately dyslexic.. only have major issues with memorization and pronunciation.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Oh, I honestly didn't even read the whole first post...ENFP ADD...I just saw you say post your favorite books, so I did! Hope I didn't offend you!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I honestly didn't even read the whole first post...ENFP ADD...I just saw you say post your favorite books, so I did! Hope I didn't offend you!
No thats totally cool! I wanted people to just randomly post their favorites. My fault! lol I was assuming.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Terry Pratchett is awesome. Try the books that center around the City Watch - Feet of Clay, Jingo, Night Watch, etc. Going Postal is amazing, too, but the Watch books have a more adventure-y feel to me. :)

also, The Abhorsen Chronicles by Garth Nix are some really good dark fantasy/adventure novels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Though it's read by middle schoolers and high schoolers, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It's really great coming of age story. Always great for a re-read.
Same with It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.

The Symposium by Plato is always a good read as well.

I'm reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding and Geek Love by Katharine Dunn right now for funsies. Geek love totally isn't what you'd expect from the title.

Also, all of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Brilliant!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Everything I ever needed to know I learned from the various works of Jorge Luis Borges.

That said, Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 is a firm favourite too.

Don Quixote is great as well if you get a quality translation. It's nice and episodic, so you can pick it up in short bursts.

And, as always, I'd recommend Gabriel García Márquez to ENFPs. I like his short stories best, but don't think I can click the "Submit Reply" button without typing out, italicizing and bolding: 100 Years of Solitude.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Everything I ever needed to know I learned from the various works of Jorge Luis Borges.

That said, Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 is a firm favourite too.

Don Quixote is great as well if you get a quality translation. It's nice and episodic, so you can pick it up in short bursts.

And, as always, I'd recommend Gabriel García Márquez to ENFPs. I like his short stories best, but don't think I can click the "Submit Reply" button without typing out, italicizing and bolding: 100 Years of Solitude.
I freaking love Don Quixote. Who knew a book from the 1600s could be so funny?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity, by Kerry Cohen, is excellent. A little hard to read, emotionally, but a great book nonetheless.

For short stories: Out of the Girls' Room and Into The Night, by Thisbe Nissen, is a favorite... also, there's a little collection of excerpts from stories that's edited by B. Dolores Max called "Dumped" that I find quite cathartic. "How To Love A Republican" is one of the most truthful short stories I've ever read. There's always Roald Dahl, also, who is twisted and crazy and totally mindblowing.

John Green writes books for young adults, but they all rock so hard. Looking For Alaska is one of my favorites.

Sometimes I get a craving to read 1984, by George Orwell. So I do. And it rocks my world every time. I agree with the rec for Perks of Being A Wallflower, and humbly throw in Catcher In The Rye.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity, by Kerry Cohen, is excellent. A little hard to read, emotionally, but a great book nonetheless.

For short stories: Out of the Girls' Room and Into The Night, by Thisbe Nissen, is a favorite... also, there's a little collection of excerpts from stories that's edited by B. Dolores Max called "Dumped" that I find quite cathartic. "How To Love A Republican" is one of the most truthful short stories I've ever read. There's always Roald Dahl, also, who is twisted and crazy and totally mindblowing.

John Green writes books for young adults, but they all rock so hard. Looking For Alaska is one of my favorites.

Sometimes I get a craving to read 1984, by George Orwell. So I do. And it rocks my world every time. I agree with the rec for Perks of Being A Wallflower, and humbly throw in Catcher In The Rye.
I totally was going to suggest those but then I was like "OP probably read all of those already..."

We're book soul mates.:crazy:

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you want a good book on peoples roadtrips
The Motorcycle Diaries - Ernesto 'Che' Guevara
Through Painted Deserts - Donald Miller

I highly recommend 'The Last Lecture' by Randy Pausch if you are looking to be inspired

I am a terrible reader myself, but I was hooked on all of them :happy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts