Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some of us might like to connect with each other to talk about our feelings about any current events going on. I know after 9-11 even my non- feeling friends needed to talk about their feelings. I didn't see a thread for this-- I hope it becomes a safe place for feelings and even for respectful debate. I'm challenging myself lately so why not?

I will start: I wish more was being done for Puerto Rico. I wish people thought of gun usage in the same way they think of driver's licenses.
I also think the stuff with Catalonia was interesting today. I always like the idea of freedom and independence-- don't know if it's practical at all. I just like the idea of cultures self-governing.
I hope you are all doing well.

Reactions: NIHM

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,689 Posts
I have a huge problem with the United States Government. I used to be a moderate Republican but now I'm probably a conservative Democrat. I can't even recognize the party I used to identify with. I haven't even explored world politics because I'm self-centered about my own country. Of course, this is a worldwide site. It's like every time you turn on the news. I think please don't let him humiliate our country. OMG, sinks into the chair at reading the morning news. "Nicole people told you to give him a chance... trying." Every day this is my mantra... and then nope fail. Puerto Rico is just devastating to watch. I want to address the silent acceptance of white men's rage in this country. When anyone else does it, it's part of a group. When a white male does it he's a crazy lone gunman. I'm more likely to be killed by a white terrorist than any other ethnic group.

I was kind of curious how other ENFPs were thinking about this...

Though I have noticed a rise in nationalist and alt right worldwide now. Scary times.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Overwhelmed. I don't remember a time where everyday I would turn on the news and be angered by something.

Angered by natural disasters, angered by people's responses to said disasters. Angered by shooting. Angered by racism. Angered by British politics looking like a playground of upper class racists.

Angered everytime I hear Trump's name. I used to try and shut off every time. I've had friends get out their phones to see their news and start a conversation with "guess what Trump did today?" I'll shut them down immediately, unless it's WW3, please don't tell me. I'm fed up that all the satire news shows I watch can't get through 2 minutes without mentioning his name.

Ignoring the issue doesn't make him go away but it's not like I have any power over what happens in the States.

You know what happened recently? The UN passed a bill to ban capital punishment against homosexuals and the mentally ill. 13 countries voted against. Ten of whom were Islamic countries. I try to argue for Islam's side a lot, can't argue for their homophobia. The other three? China, Japan and the US. Wow, the US still manages to surprise me somehow but then I forget that the US still has capital punishment.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm a bit desensitized and detached to it all.

The Vegas Shooter? It only gets worse from here, because change will not happen. And if change does happen, I'd be moderately surprised.

Peurto Rico? President Trump won't do anything about it. Why would he care, he's an ESTP with an inflated ego (nothing against ESTPs). The territory has been completely shut down, but he won't do anything for obvious reasons.

The overall general vibe I get from the world at large is Fight. The fight our ancestors fought, be it the Civil rights movement of 50 years ago, or French peasantry of 200 years ago, is not over, and never will be over. We'll need to fight for our ideals, independence, and hate against tyrants. For as long as humanity is divided, progress will not be made.

But this video sort of explains my feelings more accurately:

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,689 Posts
The facts about my president.

1. I have never seen this much blind faith in a president ever. I've always voted Republican and even when I voted for Bush twice, I knew where his failures were. I could not vote Republican in 2016. I will not vote for a man that sounded like an authoritarian fascist. Talk bad about Trump to a Trump supporter and it's the equivalent to slamming their Messiah. He can do nothing wrong in their eyes. That type of following is what I'm terrified about. He could shoot someone or start internment camps and they would think it was a first-rate move or the person had it coming.

2. He has done SOOO much material to make headline news it's a mile long. It's made people desensitized to the news. It's a common occurrence. The old saying of act presidential is out the door. I seriously think if you add up all past four presidents with their "Uh-Oh" moments (including Clinton) would not add up to his and he's only been in office for a short time. Falling Fox stated he considers it satire news. Satire news is the national enquire not MNBC, CBS, or CNN. Normally people considered these outlets as real as it gets. I used to watch both Fox and CNN both allowing a wide range of topics to form a clearer picture. This president like other dictators in the past has the public now referencing fake news. Calling your real news, satire news is never a great step in a society. This is an actual sign of the nationalist party. The inability to point out a wrong within a government. If the citizens do not have the ability to denote an erroneous moment in peaceful protest than it's a dangerous slope. I would still like the news to report on him even if it's to add one more item to the tower of his mistakes.

3. Trump's big mouth and overture of missteps in his pinning on twitter. On one hand, I appreciate a president that speaks to the public. I don't think I've ever seen a president this vocal to his fans. Like he personally runs his account. Not his aids or a team of replies but the actual president. That is notable. Now the downside, gee I wish it was intelligent sounding. I wish he would think before flying off the cuff. Perto Rico - 3.5 million American citizens and he goes down there and tells them it's not as bad as Katrina... "wince." I can see how some items can be taken out of context, throwing paper towels at them. He might have thought this was funny and they needed a laugh. I can see that mistake but his actual words... cringe. The fact that he lacks any empathy to apologize for verbiage used when offending 65% of the country is, even more, recoil. "It was on both sides." Having such a spontaneous personality in that role makes me nervous. It kind of reminds me of my sister. Loveable ESFP. Remember Anna in Frozen where she throws a snowball at a snow monster. Probably not a great idea but she did it anyways. Cute in a cartoon with a loveable ESFP, not so cute in real life where someone has nuclear weapons at their feet. Ever since he took office, I keep thinking dear lord, please get us through the orange Cheetos' era safe. Please do not let WWIII start.

4. I never voted for Obama but now anytime I speak out against Trump I'm called a bitch Obama supporter or snow flake. I sit there mumbling to myself I wish Obama was back in office. This president makes Obama look 100% better. What happened to common sense? If this makes me a snowflake so be it, winter is coming. I will vote full Dem in 2018 so he can do less damage in Congress.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
@NIHM

I can't imagine what it's like to be surrounded by his supporters. I don't know a single European that supports Trump... maybe we're just immune to whatever brainwashing he managed to do in the running to becoming president because I didn't even know who he was until he ran for president.

I don't think it's ever a good thing to ever let a President speak on behalf of his country without a team supporting him, even if he did sound intelligent, not representing a democracy means that everything that he says is more in line with a dictatorship. It is better to have the whole government in control of his twitter and his speech because at least you know a few people sat around a table and thought "That's sensible."

Also when I said satire news I meant shows that are purposefully meant to be satirical, although, they don't need to write their own material anymore since Trump writes it for him which is just tiring.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,689 Posts
@NIHM

I can't imagine what it's like to be surrounded by his supporters. I don't know a single European that supports Trump... maybe we're just immune to whatever brainwashing he managed to do in the running to becoming president because I didn't even know who he was until he ran for president.

I don't think it's ever a good thing to ever let a President speak on behalf of his country without a team supporting him, even if he did sound intelligent, not representing a democracy means that everything that he says is more in line with a dictatorship. It is better to have the whole government in control of his twitter and his speech because at least you know a few people sat around a table and thought "That's sensible."

Also when I said satire news I meant shows that are purposefully meant to be satirical, although, they don't need to write their own material anymore since Trump writes it for him which is just tiring.

That was an interesting watch.

·
Registered
INFP so/sx
562 Posts

Theresa May is such a mess lmao.

In all seriousness, it breaks my heart to see so many people suffer but it annoys me that not everyone is receiving the right media attention or the aid to overcome their difficulties. I also don’t like how everything is very US-centric and the priority is always on the West. There are disasters and tragedies happening in other parts of the world but no one seems to care unless they’re linked with terrorism. Speaking of which, I got into a debate with a friend about whether we should define the Las Vegas incident as a terrorist attack and she was so hesitant in labelling it as such. I just don’t understand why people are so willing to give someone like Stephen Paddock the benefit of the doubt and merely label him as a “lone, disturbed, mentally ill” individual, but if he was a PoC he would be labelled a terrorist in the blink of an eye.

Just to clarify, by no means am I suggesting that we should let PoC who commit atrocities like this off the hook but far too many times I’ve seen PoC be wrongfully committed and have had their lives completely ruined because of the media. The double standard just pisses me off.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
-

Reactions: Vitamin

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Paddock, the Vegas shooter, illustrates exactly why we need the Second Amendment, not why we should abandon it. If we nix the Second Amendment, which will be next? Disarm The People and the oppressors will have even more power. Globalist cucks always use situations like this as an excuse to make people believe that only "the state" should be armed.

ARISE and RESIST.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,689 Posts
Paddock, the Vegas shooter, illustrates exactly why we need the Second Amendment, not why we should abandon it. If we nix the Second Amendment, which will be next? Disarm The People and the oppressors will have even more power. Globalist cucks always use situations like this as an excuse to make people believe that only "the state" should be armed.

ARISE and RESIST.
Yeah, that's the first thing I said this morning when I saw the news. Calling for gun control. All my Republican friends are shocked about this developing issue in Congress. They were like it's not very Republican. I laughed I said it's not very Republican but it's exactly what a Fascist would do and use to take the guns away from the people. Germany did this pretty successful. History always repeats itself if you let it happen. I would find this hilarious in an ironic sense if I didn't see how scary the situation is. On one hand, I agree for more gun control with my democratic friends. I'm a moderate so I can see both sides of the story but Trump is a Narcissistic Fasict and at every turn has acted similar right out of the Fascist playbook. Having our guns taken while a Fascist is in the front seat is not a calming situation for any sane individual. It's like watching a cheesy horror story, you can see all the moves to the movie 100 steps before everyone else, except in this horror story you're witnessing in the flesh. I'm a bow hunter and a damn good one. Still, there is nothing like the sound of a shotgun to have someone stop dead in their tracks if they're meaning you harm. AOE.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Trump is a narcissistic fascist
Narcissist, yes. Fascist, no. He's too materialistic to be a genuine-article fascist. Plus, fascists tend to be pathological altruists, eager to sacrifice themselves to some fictitious "greater good" (just like Bolsheviks), which makes them even more dangerous than narcissistic sociopaths.

Reactions: XIII

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Though I have noticed a rise in nationalist and alt right worldwide now. Scary times.
The past 70 years have been so informed by WWII, I think we're increasingly going to face the fact that outside of the generation they directly influenced, that those lessons will be more flimsy than we've thought.

There's been what.. the generation directly involved the last of which faded in the late80s/early90s, you've got the children of that generation the last of which are fading now. That was a political perspective that EVERYONE could unite behind. Now we're ruled by a generation (40-60 year olds) that was informed by the confused politics of the Cold War, and branded with the moral struggles of the civil rights movement, and it only gets more blurred from there.

We were discussing the generational gap between millenials and those that have come before, with how my generation are notorious for being indecisive and confused, and we had a self-deprecating laugh because there are only a few of us in that class that fit that range- but in all honestly God knows what will happen once my generation are in charge.

The generation that is coming up close behind that have a completely empty moral conscience and a sense of entitlement like nothing ever seen before- wait 20-30 years until that shitstorm hits.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Oh, no, the second amendment was brought up, maybe I should steer clear of this thread for my own sanity since I can't convince even my liberal American friends about this... but...

The people don't need to police the country, leave the guns in the hands of the police, not the civilians. Self-policing cultures don't work, as beautiful as that would be. You hear stories about how British police and police in other countries where there's a strict gun ban managing to diffuse a situation with nothing more than a baton/torch (flashlight) and a calming voice. You don't need a gun to cancel out a gun. More often than not if you rely on that then someone is going to get shot and someone is likely to die. In extreme situations like a terrorist attack, yeah, I think it's necessary, but until that point, you don't need people to be armed. The less people armed the less people feel the need to be armed, the less guns out there the less are in the hands of murderers.

·
Registered
INFP so/sx
562 Posts
Oh, no, the second amendment was brought up, maybe I should steer clear of this thread for my own sanity since I can't convince even my liberal American friends about this... but...

The people don't need to police the country, leave the guns in the hands of the police, not the civilians. Self-policing cultures don't work, as beautiful as that would be. You hear stories about how British police and police in other countries where there's a strict gun ban managing to diffuse a situation with nothing more than a baton/torch (flashlight) and a calming voice. You don't need a gun to cancel out a gun. More often than not if you rely on that then someone is going to get shot and someone is likely to die. In extreme situations like a terrorist attack, yeah, I think it's necessary, but until that point, you don't need people to be armed. The less people armed the less people feel the need to be armed, the less guns out there the less are in the hands of murderers.
I completely agree.

Just look at Japan! They’ve nearly eradicated gun crime and it’s partly because of their gun laws. It’s so difficult to obtain a gun; you have to go through a written exam, a shooting-range test, checks on mental health etc. I studied American politics for one of my A-Levels and I was SHOCKED at how easy it is to get a gun in some states.

The NRA needs to chill, Trump needs to chill, Republicans/Democrats need to chill and anyone else who uses the Constitution to justify their ‘rights’…needs to chill.

·
Registered
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't think gun control has to mean the government taking away your guns. It CAN mean that, but doesn't have to. Making the argument into a "guns or no guns" argument seems like fear-mongering to me-- takes people away from actually thinking it through. So what if we just saw it like how we look at getting a car license? Instead of an eye test, some kind of mental/emotional competency test and a look at your medications? It's safe for me to drive a car....but do I really want my drunken half-blind neighbor on narcotics and with narcolepsy driving a car?
I think the "They'll take away our guns!" Is a scare tactic and not based on facts. Why they are doing that is a good question. I think we all need to calm down and think about what we actually think would work to protect us. Another fact is that the chances of successful suicide go up dramatically when people have guns in the house. I heard someone say that if getting a gun had just been a week-long process instead of immediate that they thought their dad would still be alive .
The USA has the highest crime rate and the most people in jail of any country from what I understand...so the current system is working, right? We can take a page from one of the models of gun control out there in other countries.

There are lots of F-bombs (warning), but have you heard Jeff Jefferies' rant about gun control? Funny!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...a71eec644ad63a0e2cf8c1ab03a6888c&action=click

Only read the following if you're in a pensive mood like I was when I wrote it. LOL It doesn't have much to do with current events.
2 thought processes that I wonder if you all might identify with.
There is something I know about myself that I basically can't get rid of and that when I want to write about it I basically feel like my fingers are just ridged-- this feels so inflexible to me, almost like it's something wrong with me but that I can't change. It's the following thought: My morals can't conform.
I wonder if any of you have felt this too. It shows itself in different areas of my life sometimes, not conforming at work and such. But then sometimes I wonder if I don't know myself enough. Would I conform to survive? My husband says he would want me to conform and live. But it just doesn't feel like that could ever be. I would have been beheaded in Nazi Germany for putting out anti-Nazi literature. I watched a video once of Saddam Husein and a room full of his top officials. He was telling half of the room to take guns and shoot the other half of the room or else they would all be killed.... he might have even said their families would be killed if they did not prove their loyalty to him in this way. I couldn't watch any more. This is an example of one of the times I feel like I would shoot myself before I would ever be able to conform like that.
Thought process 2: I think people should be honest and admit their mistakes. If I am honest about my mistakes it does not detract from my absolute and intrinsic worth. If we in the USA were honest about our dealings with the world....If we were honest about genocide and racism and economic inequality. To me we would actually be worth much more, as a country we would be able to move forward with clarity. I would like to have systems in place in our government that use evidence-based information, honest facts, and empathy to make decisions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts