Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey living beings of this strangely odd planet ;)

for educational reasons I have to write a bigger work about the potential in humans. It would be nice to have some opinions about this topic, which I can use as a source. Things like:

How do you think about the potential in us? (Have you ever thought about the potential in you?)
is it measurable?
What do you think has got the biggest influence on potential (like...friends/family or education or money...)?
What means 'use your potential' to you?
Have you ever been told 'you don't use your potential'? why? how did this made you feel?
Do you think using potential is always a good thing? or is there something like bad potential?
Is it possible to use ALL of your potential? How?
Are you happy with the way you use your potential? What would you like to change (what holds you from doing more)?

would be very useful.

I am thankful for every person sharing his/her thoughts :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Potential in us: I think as a species we have great potential, however our abilities always seem to outpace our common sense and our ability to be compassionate and empathetic. So we create without really caring what it does to the denizens of this planet.

I don't think potential would be measurable, at least with the current tools we have that might have some capacity to measure it. And so many variables that change from day to day.

Personally, I don't think I've used "my potential", I feel like I should be more involved in my community, that I could have done a lot more writing, etc.

Yes, I've heard many times from family and friends that I wasted my potential. My mom was always pushing me to do things as a child that she wished for me, rather than what I was actually good at or loved, which maybe doesn't fit, but overall it did affect how I felt about my abilities. Pushing me to become a pianist for instance, I didn't have the aptitude and it wasn't in my heart, so I didn't do well and was criticized, by her and by myself. That set the stage I think for believing nothing I did would be done well so why bother?

When I was 23, my sister got her husband to get me a job at Intel, making computer chips, I refused as it was about the worst job I could think of, soul draining. I enjoyed my little retail job with no benefits and low pay. But I felt good doing it. She never let me forget how I "could have done so much more".

I think lots of people have the potential to do some very horrible things, so absolutely there is potential in people that isn't a positive thing.

Using all your potential? I think it's possible but rare. Maybe someone like Mother Theresa would be an example of someone using all their potential in a positive way.

I've come to terms with how much of my potential I actually put into practice. I mostly measure that now more by how little negative impact I have on the planet for example. If I can make the people I know, and some I don't know, the stray dogs I save, a bit happier and leave less mess on the earth when I depart, I'll feel like I didn't do such a bad job.

I do have several books I want to write some day. If I can get those done, even just one or two, I'll feel that's the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Potential in us: I think as a species we have great potential, however our abilities always seem to outpace our common sense and our ability to be compassionate and empathetic. So we create without really caring what it does to the denizens of this planet.
Sometimes I think potential is just a mythos >.< It is there so we work hard and harder and sometimes we forget over all the potential to be happy with what we are and what we have... :/ it kind of is never enough...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sometimes I think potential is just a mythos >.< It is there so we work hard and harder and sometimes we forget over all the potential to be happy with what we are and what we have... :/ it kind of is never enough...
In that statement I made, I was defining potential not as creating tangible objects, but rather more related to what you are saying. See what I did there? ;-)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I see potential in terms of tangible abilities, goals, personal aspirations, hints of unused skills, and energy spent making dreams a reality i.e. low achievers capable of more but self limiting-being limited by some external factor such as income.

Greatness, prestige, echelons of learning, promotion, earning power, ability to meet personal needs, assumed responsibility, self development, compliance, social norms, cognition, motivation etc.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
When I think of potential the first thing that comes to mind is my interest in adoption in the future. Statistically, the outlook on these children is actually quite terrible. The likelihood of behavioural problems, committing crimes, drug/alcohol use, are all through the roof. In many ways they are stamped with this label on their heads because of who their parents were or just the fact that they are in foster care -- this is all before they even grow up.

You know, we're always surprised when we hear about someone with a good upbringing who ends up behaving badly. It's just so hard to wrap our heads around -why-. If someone who was adopted or in foster care has issues later in life, just either of those two words will make people go "ahh, makes sense" case closed.

I really love the prospect of people in the foster care system saying a big "fuck you" to these seemingly pre-determined fates or trying to be swept under the rug. I believe many of them would just thrive and flourish if given the right forms of care and encouragement. Sadly, without that opportunity then their potential is lost... or more aptly, held back.

“Treat a man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be.”

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I think our human potential is limited by things like a cultural emphasis verbal/book-learning and rational thought. Those are a narrower set of skills that may serve us well, but I think genius operates on many registers of human experience, including ones we can't locate with those sorts of heuristics or really words at all. I think it's the sort of thing that a lot of spiritual traditions talk about in the vein of self-integration, or embodying a sort of 'divine spark' and shaping life in virtue of that, both at the same time, through mastery over many areas of life (modesty, deliberateness, and benevolent intent by way of conduct; introspection, other subtle areas of self-mastery, the development of wisdom throughout a lifetime, etc).

·
Registered
432 Posts
When I think of potential the first thing that comes to mind is my interest in adoption in the future. Statistically, the outlook on these children is actually quite terrible. The likelihood of behavioural problems, committing crimes, drug/alcohol use, are all through the roof. In many ways they are stamped with this label on their heads because of who their parents were or just the fact that they are in foster care -- this is all before they even grow up.

You know, we're always surprised when we hear about someone with a good upbringing who ends up behaving badly. It's just so hard to wrap our heads around -why-. If someone who was adopted or in foster care has issues later in life, just either of those two words will make people go "ahh, makes sense" case closed.

I really love the prospect of people in the foster care system saying a big "fuck you" to these seemingly pre-determined fates or trying to be swept under the rug. I believe many of them would just thrive and flourish if given the right forms of care and encouragement. Sadly, without that opportunity then their potential is lost... or more aptly, held back.

“Treat a man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be.”
I chose not to have children, but I've thought about fostering for a long while. And I have a place to do that now, and do it quite well I think. However I just don't have the energy right now as I have someone who needs me a great deal and takes up a lot of my time every day. I think there might be a point in a few years where I might really pursue that though.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You asked for opinions, well if you make sure to cite this (I don't care about plagiarism but others will) then I'll practically write it for you! Here's what I have on the matter:

How do you think about the potential in us? (Have you ever thought about the potential in you?)

I believe that, as human beings, we all have a potential far beyond our current comprehension. However, whether or not this potential is something that we want to access depends on the person. Sure, in some cases it is beneficial. However, several things can happen when this potential is accessed. One can access this potential and gain knowledge, leading them to be bored as they know things before they happen. Others are haunted for a lifetime by the results. This potential is also available to those who should not have it and will use it for their own gain while taking from others so that they may not access it. So far many of us squander it by feeling as though we do not have any potential to do anything beyond face value. These people have cut themselves off from the reality of the situation and refuse to accept the possibility of having such potential. As a result they will not understand both the beauty and the horrors attached to the things we are capable of.

is it measurable?

No, because it is intangible. We aren't counting midichlorians. Besides, this potential is hardly even comprehensible because so few understand what reality is these days.

What do you think has got the biggest influence on potential (like...friends/family or education or money...)?

The individual, since he or she is in control of what he or she thinks. However, those who have accessed their potential and use it for misdeeds can also distract those very people from accessing their own potential. As a result this creates a loop that only the individual can break, and the individual can only break it if they are aware of it. So, will it be the blue pill or the red pill?

What means 'use your potential' to you?

To me, it doesn't mean what it does to others. If I use my full potential I will either wind up hurting others or myself. More than likely those affected and I will be hurt, me for showing my potential and others' for me hiding it from them/not using it for the things that they want. This is one of the horrors that gets tacked on to having potential, the expectations that appear if you show it, disappointment if you do not follow through with it or hide it, or keeping it to yourself and having it claw at the inside of your skull until you either unleash it or die.

Have you ever been told 'you don't use your potential'? why? how did this made you feel?

All the time. I've been told by my parents and professors. However, that's related to the potential I have in regards to education and not my full potential. However, I did that for the same reason I hide my full potential. If I show it, others will expect something from me for themselves that I won't be able to give because they refuse to realize they have their own potential. They allow themselves to be distracted, even when I tell them they are, and as a result they can never see things for what they truly are.

Do you think using potential is always a good thing? or is there something like bad potential?

As long as human beings have ego there will always be some who are corrupt. Their circuitry isn't correct. Their wires are crossed. Their ego consumes them. Therefore, as long as humans have ego then potential won't always be good. Those who use it for evil are the reason why some of us who use it for good are haunted, because of the effect it has on those around us who have not yet accessed their potential.

Is it possible to use ALL of your potential? How?

To use all of your potential is a gift. You do not seek it, otherwise it will always evade you. You must let it come to you in order to fully understand. You must be able to accept reality for what it truly is and not what others tell you to. You must also shut out your mind in order to be able to see reality, for you may try to deceive yourself. However, it is a gift bestowed upon you by nobody but yourself since the potential is within you, has always been, and always will be. To forget this is to forget a part of who you are and shun reality. It is something that is both beautiful and disturbing at the same time, so only unlock your potential when you are ready, else you will bear a heavier burden than those who accept it for what it is.

Are you happy with the way you use your potential? What would you like to change (what holds you from doing more)?
I a happy in the way I use my potential. Some know that some of my potential is hidden, but they are unable to see how much potential I have thus I do not have to be weighed down as much. Oddly enough, I tend to practice it in videogames more than anything because when the time comes to end the simulation and use it for real I will not be able to make any mistakes and cause any undue harm to myself or others. That is, if the potential I'm allocating for now structures my life long strategy correctly.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I potentially had something to say about this.

Fuck, I squandered it.

Reactions: InsanityRemix
1 - 13 of 13 Posts