Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so this one is a long shot, but I was recently looking through my old copies of my Brio and Brio&Beyond magazines (this was a magazine for teen and young adult girls that was put out by Focus on the Family until they were forced to stop producing it due to budget cuts) and I noticed something that, yes, I had noticed before ...
These magazines were a really good idea, etc, but sometimes they just didn't apply to *me* at all. I was so different from most other girls my age, that a lot of the stuff they talked about was stuff I just didn't struggle with at all. I found out why a few years later, when I learned about MBTI.

But I had this idea, that I don't know if I will pursue or even if it is worth pursuing ...

But I figured, there have to be other NT girls out there, who probably feel the same way I did as a young teenager: like all these "teen girl" magazines and devotionals and stuff like that just didn't apply to me! Who cares about peer pressure, wanting to be skinny and pretty, sex and pregnancy, drug use, all that stuff. I wanted answers about the deep stuff, the stuff that really mattered to me - theology, science, philosophy, etc. Especially in public school, you learn a lot of new ideas that can really get you thinking about these matters. But other girls that age really didn't care about that kind of stuff. So to me, all these magazines and devotionals were pathetically superficial.

So I figured, shouldn't there be something made for us, the deep-minded, who are as rare as we are, but still have such unique issues and concerns? I know I would have appreciated something like that.

I just thought of this about two days ago, so it's still in a very infant stage. But I'm going to put this out there, to get some idea:

Are there any Christian, NT women out there who would be willing to work on this project if it ever became a project, writing for a teen girls/young adult magazine made specifically for other NT girls/women?

I'll take guys, too, because they can still write about non-girl-specific topics.
And perhaps one or two non-NT's for things like social tips and fashion tips, lol :D

Feedback, please?

·
Registered
526 Posts
hmmm. I don't think you can say that only NT's can write about the deep things. Speaking as an NF, I would be highly upset to find that I could only write about fashion and other nonsense. I would much rather focus on the deeper things. I am an intelligent young woman who doesn't give a rat's ass about "7 different ways to catch a man", etc. Just saying. :proud:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. I don't think I thought much about NF's. You guys are sufficiently deep for this endeavor. In fact, in the Brio magazines, they had a "fiction story" each month which was usually a short little story with some point to it ... I would *love* an NF writer for that, in addition to other stuff (and not the "7 different ways to catch a man" stuff, lol!)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I find your idea for writing a Christian girls magazine dedicated to deeper issues something i've been waiting for for a while now. Unfortunately I would have no time to help out, seeing as work and school tend to get in the way of everything.

I find that in devotions (in magazines for girls, and devotionals in general) mostly appeal to Extroverted Feeling, a typical phrase being "Get out of your comfort zone and really let your heart belong to God! Really reach out to the lost and let them feel the love radiating off of you!" or something to that effect. I wish that there were more of a devotional that gave me another option besides this, that allowed me to use my ability as a reserved thinker to do my part for God.

I'll be praying for you, and I hope that you can see this idea through.

·
mafia mod
13,316 Posts
I think its a great idea. You can count me in.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent you a pm.

Edit:
In my Country we have a magazine like this - it's called "Cogito" :D
What country? Sounds Spanish, am I correct? Does this magazine have a website?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Alright, so this one is a long shot, but I was recently looking through my old copies of my Brio and Brio&Beyond magazines (this was a magazine for teen and young adult girls that was put out by Focus on the Family until they were forced to stop producing it due to budget cuts) and I noticed something that, yes, I had noticed before ...
These magazines were a really good idea, etc, but sometimes they just didn't apply to *me* at all. I was so different from most other girls my age, that a lot of the stuff they talked about was stuff I just didn't struggle with at all. I found out why a few years later, when I learned about MBTI.

But I had this idea, that I don't know if I will pursue or even if it is worth pursuing ...

But I figured, there have to be other NT girls out there, who probably feel the same way I did as a young teenager: like all these "teen girl" magazines and devotionals and stuff like that just didn't apply to me! Who cares about peer pressure, wanting to be skinny and pretty, sex and pregnancy, drug use, all that stuff. I wanted answers about the deep stuff, the stuff that really mattered to me - theology, science, philosophy, etc. Especially in public school, you learn a lot of new ideas that can really get you thinking about these matters. But other girls that age really didn't care about that kind of stuff. So to me, all these magazines and devotionals were pathetically superficial.

So I figured, shouldn't there be something made for us, the deep-minded, who are as rare as we are, but still have such unique issues and concerns? I know I would have appreciated something like that.

I just thought of this about two days ago, so it's still in a very infant stage. But I'm going to put this out there, to get some idea:

Are there any Christian, NT women out there who would be willing to work on this project if it ever became a project, writing for a teen girls/young adult magazine made specifically for other NT girls/women?

I'll take guys, too, because they can still write about non-girl-specific topics.
And perhaps one or two non-NT's for things like social tips and fashion tips, lol :D

Feedback, please?
This is an awesome idea! Were I still in my teens, it would have been a god-send (no pun intended!) unfortunately, i have evolved and discarded the Christian label from my life...but should you wish to hear "story" and philosophical ramblings, this is mine:

Signposts Some Kind of Wonder-full…

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was also subscribed to that magazine when I was younger. I felt much the same about it. It was far too repetitive and superficial, as you said.

Unfortunately, I'm in school and wouldn't have to time to contribute to something like what you're talking about, but I do think it's a great idea. I might still be able to contribute ideas, though.

Do you think it needs to be exclusively for girls? Unless it had many gender-specific topics, it could potentially apply to boys as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find that in devotions (in magazines for girls, and devotionals in general) mostly appeal to Extroverted Feeling, a typical phrase being "Get out of your comfort zone and really let your heart belong to God! Really reach out to the lost and let them feel the love radiating off of you!" or something to that effect. I wish that there were more of a devotional that gave me another option besides this, that allowed me to use my ability as a reserved thinker to do my part for God.
I was also subscribed to that magazine when I was younger. I felt much the same about it. It was far too repetitive and superficial, as you said.
Do you think it needs to be exclusively for girls? Unless it had many gender-specific topics, it could potentially apply to boys as well.
That'd be neat if you had a little apologetics section.
Thank you all (even those who I haven't quoted in this message) for the positive feedback. This was just one of those random ideas (ha, blame it on Ni) that I didn't think would be *this* well accepted by others!

Now to reply:

I agree that most teen-girl stuff like this is usually strongly for E's and F's, and for me especially this was very annoying. It seemed so stupid, so superficial, glossing over not only the *real* issues, but for me, the *only* issues.

I dunno about being specifically for girls ... I think we as NT girls face certain issues/struggles that NT guys don't ... but whether we care or whether this really means the magazine would have to be for girls only ... I dunno. I know there are *different* issues that NT guys have, that girls don't ...

Maybe, here's a thought, there could be two, one for guys, one for girls (like w/ Brio & Breakaway) which can share a good majority of non-specific articles, and then each can have their girly or guy-y articles and then the design and layout etc will be more specific ... :D
It would be a little more work, yes, but ... yes ...

(Ack, thinking "out loud" in a forum post often confuses others.)

And, I agree fully, an apologetics section is a *must* ...

Any other ideas for other sections?
Sections would be something *other* than the main articles that recurs every issue.

Here are mine:
One big glomp of fashion/makeup/hair/etc, etc, etc. No need for more than one section of this.
Letters that people write-in, like every magazine
Section about healthy eating & exercise
Apologetics section (something new every issue)
List of bible readings for the month
Devotionals section (dunno how to work this one out well)
Entertainment/music section - which suggests stuff we like :D
Then of course the articles, where the *real* meat is ... these are just little sections

Now, about the devotionals section ... this is something Brio tried to do, they would have all spread on two pages some little sappy thoughts from somebody, and that was supposed to do you for the month. It listed daily bible readings, yes, and I know it assumed you had and used your own *daily* devotional book. But, as discussed, we don't have one of our own. So for this section, it would be nice to have something *substantial.* I was thinking about something like one for each week, or something, but still it would be better if there was something for every day.
This unfortunately takes up precious paper-space (or PDF file size) ... because one-per-day at a relatively short one-page is still 31 pages each issue. I personally think one page is too short. So that bumps it up farther. One-per-week at as much as three-pages is still shorter (12 pg for 4 weeks, 15 for 5) but how is three pages that you can read in a few minutes going to do much for you when you are doing *daily* devotions??? Grrrr ... and I have run into this problem *many* times in my life to the point where I am currently fed up with doing "devotions" and find it very hard to ever sit down and read the bible every day. I'm sure this happens to other people, so that's why I want to do this ...

Aaaaannnyways ...

Reactions: Treeton

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you get your details ironed out and could use another writer feel free to hit me up. I'm experienced in this area and fall under the criteria you listed.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sometimes I thought I was the only one who thought something was definitely lacking from those. As much as I wanted to learn something from all those mini-mags, I could never find one that just fit. I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
This is an interesting concept and something that I an an NT male also felt growing up, namely that I just didn't have much in common with the age-"appropriate" pop culture outlook that felt jammed down my throat as a teen.

Why Christian?
I'd expect it's because they want it to be values based and anchored into an identifiable doctrine which is something that secular approaches to these things struggle to do.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
This sounds like a great idea! I would love to read it, but I don't have time to write stuff & my writing isn't very good anyways.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well I'm available :)
1. I'm a teenager
2. I'm an ENTP
3. I'm a well-rounded Christian
4. I'm awesome
5. I care about all that deep stuff :wink:

Just message me or something.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
YES! Yes, yes, a hundred times yes! I'm a teenage ENTP girl and I've never been able to relate to any of the girls at church or any devotionals or anything like that. You need to pursue this, it's an amazing idea, actually one I had in elementary school (only it was a website, not magazine). I realize I'm not an adult yet, but if you want my help, I'll gladly help you out on this. I notice you are an INTJ as well, and ENTPs and INTJs are supposed to be able to work wonders (or dominate the world) together, so what do you say? Also, I'm warning you I am very skeptical (about the only thing I'm sure of is that God exists and that he loves us), although I know way too much about theology, and topics they don't really discuss at church (Nephilim!), and ask a million questions about everything (I guess it's because I'm Ne-dom).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.