Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, well I've been curious what my Myers-Briggs type was for a long time, but none of the free quizzes I've found online seem to be very effective, because I always get different answers. Some of the most common were ESTP and ENTJ, which seem to be pretty different. So I've typed up a list of personality traits I have (the list is ridiculous by the way, so if anyone can even read through it you're a maverick) and I decided to test the wits of the people on this site.

Here I go:

• I’m quick-witted and persuasive, I can almost always bring people over to my side of a topic, and if I’m not succeeding I find that I get highly frustrated, and then just motivated more.
  • If I want something, or get an idea in my head, I’m completely tenacious in finding a way to get what I want, and can almost always succeed.
  • If a tragedy hits, for example when my sister died last year, I only cried in front of people twice: when I heard the news, and at the funeral. All other break downs I made sure were in private. And my mom is the complete opposite, she’d cry all day long, which didn’t make sense to me, because I felt like she should have been the strong one helping the family through the tragedy, but I felt like I took on that role instead, which was tough, but I wouldn’t have been able to cope any other way.
  • Therefore, continuing from the last bullet, I really don’t like to show people how upset I am by situations. For example, if someone says something hurtful, like a personal dig at me, I’ll act like I couldn’t care less even if it made me really upset.
  • I really like getting both sides of the story before making a decision, and researching all the facts, because that just makes sense to me.
  • I can read people really well. I almost always can tell when a person is lying, even if it’s just a little white lie, just by reading their body language, or their facial expressions. I am also really good at pinpointing a person’s personality right off the bat, although I have been wrong on a few occasions.
  • I like being truthful, not to the point of complete bluntness, because I can monitor what I say, sine my ability to read people usually allows me to know their comfort level in a conversation. But I won’t sugar coat my views if they clash with someone else’s, in fact it usually leads to a debate, which I almost always win. But if I’m having dinner at a friend’s house and their parents are highly religious, I’m not going to waltz in and announce that I don’t believe in Jesus, I know when to voice my opinions and when to keep them quiet.
  • I’m pretty uncomfortable with deceit, I hate two-faced people, they are my biggest pet peeve. I don’t see how a person can trash talk someone one minute, and then be kind and sweet to them another. If I have a problem with someone, it’s fairly obvious. If it’s an employer or a teacher, however, I stick to an appropriate behavior for the situation.
  • If I want something that I feel I deserve, whether it be in the work place, like a promotion, or in a social setting, I’m not afraid to go out and ask for it, or if I feel I can justify my actions, take it.
  • I’ve been in a lot of relationships, and only half of them were because I really liked the person. The thing about me is, I like to flirt, and I like to be liked. So, if an attractive guy, who still may kinda be an asshole likes me, I can’t help but be attracted to the fact that he’s into me. Which is really bad, I know, but I can’t help it.
  • I have a lazy streak to me, I mean I’m active in dance, and I like to get things accomplished, but if there’s a day where I don’t have anything to do, I’m perfectly content with laying around all day, writing, or on surfing the internet.
  • I’ve been told I’m pretty funny, and can always make people laugh.
  • I can be sarcastic, not to the point of being bitchy, but it’s another form of humor I use.
  • I don’t particularly like kids, I have little patience for their bullshit, but I know if I ever was a parent, I would be fiercely protective of them.
  • I like challenges, because it gives me a thrill, and I love the feeling of solving a particularly hard puzzle.
  • I really love all the forensic shows on TV, whether it’s the true ones like Forensic Files, or the glamorous shows like CSI (I only like Vegas by the way), they fascinate me. I would love to work in a job that’s investigative like that, because I’ve always been into that since I was a kid. Clue was my favorite board game, and I loved logic puzzles.
  • I love being spontaneous and adventurous. I get a thrill from doing something reckless or dangerous, even if I may regret it later.
  • I’m a very social person, but in a situation where I don’t know anyone in the room, I like to be approached first. It’s not that I’m uncomfortable, it’s just for some reason how I operate.
  • I will almost always do what I feel is the right thing to do, even if it may not work out in my favor. Don’t get me wrong, I’m competitive and love a challenge, but if I feel I won in an unfair or rigged way, I wouldn’t accept. I feel like I have a really good moral compass, even if it may clash with what other people feel is right, but as long as it makes me feel good about myself, that’s usually what I go with.
  • If I had to pick one fictional person who I feel I can identify with most it would be Catherine Willows from CSI hands down. We are almost exactly similar in personality and how we behave in situations.

If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear them! Thanks!

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,102 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe!

*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings Addison and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

We have a facebook style chat that you can enable throughout the site... Just read on how to enable it here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/13046-personality-cafe-facebook-style-chat.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFOuSaYN1w

Again, welcome to our forum Addison. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S.

Please tip me 1 gold. I need to buy more coffee! @[email protected]

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Welcome to PerC :happy:

I'm no expert, but your description reads like an ESTP to me.

Reactions: Addison

·
Registered
392 Posts
ENTJ's and ESTP's can seem similar due to their sharing extraverted sensing and love of logic, being upfront, etc. I would guess you're ENTJ.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Alrighty, well I've been curious what my Myers-Briggs type was for a long time, but none of the free quizzes I've found online seem to be very effective, because I always get different answers. Some of the most common were ESTP and ENTJ, which seem to be pretty different. So I've typed up a list of personality traits I have (the list is ridiculous by the way, so if anyone can even read through it you're a maverick) and I decided to test the wits of the people on this site.

Here I go:

• I’m quick-witted and persuasive, I can almost always bring people over to my side of a topic, and if I’m not succeeding I find that I get highly frustrated, and then just motivated more.
  • If I want something, or get an idea in my head, I’m completely tenacious in finding a way to get what I want, and can almost always succeed.
  • If a tragedy hits, for example when my sister died last year, I only cried in front of people twice: when I heard the news, and at the funeral. All other break downs I made sure were in private. And my mom is the complete opposite, she’d cry all day long, which didn’t make sense to me, because I felt like she should have been the strong one helping the family through the tragedy, but I felt like I took on that role instead, which was tough, but I wouldn’t have been able to cope any other way.
  • Therefore, continuing from the last bullet, I really don’t like to show people how upset I am by situations. For example, if someone says something hurtful, like a personal dig at me, I’ll act like I couldn’t care less even if it made me really upset.
  • I really like getting both sides of the story before making a decision, and researching all the facts, because that just makes sense to me.
  • I can read people really well. I almost always can tell when a person is lying, even if it’s just a little white lie, just by reading their body language, or their facial expressions. I am also really good at pinpointing a person’s personality right off the bat, although I have been wrong on a few occasions.
  • I like being truthful, not to the point of complete bluntness, because I can monitor what I say, sine my ability to read people usually allows me to know their comfort level in a conversation. But I won’t sugar coat my views if they clash with someone else’s, in fact it usually leads to a debate, which I almost always win. But if I’m having dinner at a friend’s house and their parents are highly religious, I’m not going to waltz in and announce that I don’t believe in Jesus, I know when to voice my opinions and when to keep them quiet.
  • I’m pretty uncomfortable with deceit, I hate two-faced people, they are my biggest pet peeve. I don’t see how a person can trash talk someone one minute, and then be kind and sweet to them another. If I have a problem with someone, it’s fairly obvious. If it’s an employer or a teacher, however, I stick to an appropriate behavior for the situation.
  • If I want something that I feel I deserve, whether it be in the work place, like a promotion, or in a social setting, I’m not afraid to go out and ask for it, or if I feel I can justify my actions, take it.
  • I’ve been in a lot of relationships, and only half of them were because I really liked the person. The thing about me is, I like to flirt, and I like to be liked. So, if an attractive guy, who still may kinda be an asshole likes me, I can’t help but be attracted to the fact that he’s into me. Which is really bad, I know, but I can’t help it.
  • I have a lazy streak to me, I mean I’m active in dance, and I like to get things accomplished, but if there’s a day where I don’t have anything to do, I’m perfectly content with laying around all day, writing, or on surfing the internet.
  • I’ve been told I’m pretty funny, and can always make people laugh.
  • I can be sarcastic, not to the point of being bitchy, but it’s another form of humor I use.
  • I don’t particularly like kids, I have little patience for their bullshit, but I know if I ever was a parent, I would be fiercely protective of them.
  • I like challenges, because it gives me a thrill, and I love the feeling of solving a particularly hard puzzle.
  • I really love all the forensic shows on TV, whether it’s the true ones like Forensic Files, or the glamorous shows like CSI (I only like Vegas by the way), they fascinate me. I would love to work in a job that’s investigative like that, because I’ve always been into that since I was a kid. Clue was my favorite board game, and I loved logic puzzles.
  • I love being spontaneous and adventurous. I get a thrill from doing something reckless or dangerous, even if I may regret it later.
  • I’m a very social person, but in a situation where I don’t know anyone in the room, I like to be approached first. It’s not that I’m uncomfortable, it’s just for some reason how I operate.
  • I will almost always do what I feel is the right thing to do, even if it may not work out in my favor. Don’t get me wrong, I’m competitive and love a challenge, but if I feel I won in an unfair or rigged way, I wouldn’t accept. I feel like I have a really good moral compass, even if it may clash with what other people feel is right, but as long as it makes me feel good about myself, that’s usually what I go with.
  • If I had to pick one fictional person who I feel I can identify with most it would be Catherine Willows from CSI hands down. We are almost exactly similar in personality and how we behave in situations.

If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear them! Thanks!
I'd bet money on ESTP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been doing some more reading on the ESTP and it does seem to be a good fit to my personality. I just wanted to get some objective opinions. Thanks to all who responded so far. :proud:

·
Registered
689 Posts
ENTJ's and ESTP's can seem similar due to their sharing extraverted sensing and love of logic, being upfront, etc. I would guess you're ENTJ.
I agree with this.
Her "moral compass" points to having a purty decent Fi.

Which ESTPs don't necessarily have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with this.
Her "moral compass" points to having a purty decent Fi.

Which ESTPs don't necessarily have.
That is something I've noticed to be a minor clash between myself and the ESTP personality. Hence my confusion.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Methinks you're an ENTJ with a bit good Se streak.

But I suggest you keep on looking around and just trying to find more information.

Hell, it's not like it really matters. ENTJ or ESTP may describe you, but they ain't you. :3

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can see why you are on the fence. I see a lot of my characteristics in your description. I do remember seeing that ESTP was called a "persuader" on one site.

What I can tell you is that, as a strong ENTJ, what characteristics of mine that I didnt see in your description but that I read about on ENTJ descriptions. Really there were only two areas where I felt a difference from my own characteristics.

I think personality wise, I am less in the here and now. I am thinking of the future, planning for the future, and focused on long-term results. I can't just sit around on a lazy day, it can be physically unbearable for me. I am super goal oriented even though I know how to have a good time... it just needs to be planned in advance.

Also, while we share many of the same logical, objective, and motivational traits, there is another trait that I feel strongly about that you did not mention. leadership; I want to be in charge and I want to lead everyone to success because only I know how (exaggerated). I like getting the job done, but I will do it my way even if it means re-writing the rules how I see fit to increase efficiency or effectiveness.

Now that I think about it... sounds like an ESTP can be ENTJ without the arrogance. You could very well just be an ENTJ w/o the a**hole gene.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can see why you are on the fence. I see a lot of my characteristics in your description. I do remember seeing that ESTP was called a "persuader" on one site.

What I can tell you is that, as a strong ENTJ, what characteristics of mine that I didnt see in your description but that I read about on ENTJ descriptions. Really there were only two areas where I felt a difference from my own characteristics.

I think personality wise, I am less in the here and now. I am thinking of the future, planning for the future, and focused on long-term results. I can't just sit around on a lazy day, it can be physically unbearable for me. I am super goal oriented even though I know how to have a good time... it just needs to be planned in advance.

Also, while we share many of the same logical, objective, and motivational traits, there is another trait that I feel strongly about that you did not mention. leadership; I want to be in charge and I want to lead everyone to success because only I know how (exaggerated). I like getting the job done, but I will do it my way even if it means re-writing the rules how I see fit to increase efficiency or effectiveness.

Now that I think about it... sounds like an ESTP can be ENTJ without the arrogance. You could very well just be an ENTJ w/o the a**hole gene.
Thank you, that makes it a little bit easier to figure out I think. I mean, I don't mind being put in charge, and have no problems with being a leader, but it's not a role that I desperately need to have. I'm perfectly fine letting someone else take the reins if I think they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No prob...One of my challenges is remembering that there are plenty of people smarter than me and that no one needs my advice. So I have learned to only give it when someone asks and only take the lead once I am sure I am not stepping on anyone toes. However, I still manage to get branded a know-it-all, arrogant, and intimidating. I will say that I do have a great sense of humor about my personality traits and my arrogance is usually combined with humor about it.

I don't think the actual type matters anyway. From what I have read, if you have highly developed secondary and tertiary characteristics, you wont be type cast easily. Maybe you have already naturally developed certain aspects of your personality that were weak before. Damn, based on that, I have a lot of developing to do because I fall so far into ENTJ there is no question. I will say the only other ENTJ that I know of, is also a natural born leader but I dont know enough ENTJ's to know if that is one of the most important characteristics.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Just because I'm curious, what are some big differences between ENTJs and ESTPs?
ENTJ's are more organized, planned, and can see all sides of a situation. They are big picture thinkers as well. ESTP's think almost entirely in the present with little regards to the future. You just seem more ESTP to me than ENTJ.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts