Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion on the saying "practice makes perfect"?

·
Registered
652 Posts
If the person has enough potential. It's impossible, for an example, to learn a tone-deaf to play by ear.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Practice gives purpose.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
342 Posts
I prefer, 'where there is a will, there's a way.' 'Practice makes perfect' presents a scenario where if you keep trying to preform in a specific manner you'll eventually get the results you want. Perspective seems to be a much better teacher than repetition.
Perspective is better than blind repetition for sure, but perspective locked in upon some form of repetitive system should produce greater results. We often seem to be loaded with perspective, yet don't have the other ingredient. Practise is ultimately that other ingredient.

We always gravitate towards perspectives, and for some that is good enough, in that it gets them where they want to go. But others need a regime, to dampen the riot that perspective plays against their need for paced and planned progress.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
merely knowing how to do something serves no purpose. putting that knowledge into use, ie to practice, gives knowledge purpose.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
#NecroWorthy

To lean on the shoulders of giants (^^^) in a slovenly manner:

The purposeful perception of perfection is well practiced. It's just perspective.

Reactions: eks

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
'Practice makes perfect' is an English idiomatic expression. It doesn't have a literal meaning. Saying it's wrong because 'perfection can never be achieved' is like saying my new computer is surely not the dog's bollocks because it isn't the ball-sack of a dog.

Anyway I don't think it was necessarily intended that this thread descend into another useless INTP discussion over semantics. So for what it's worth, I'll add that I believe practice does indeed make 'perfect', as far as the common usage of the term goes.

Would you trust a book-smart, fresh-faced graduate straight out of medical school to perform open heart surgery on you, or a seasoned, well-rehearsed old doctor who's done it hundreds of time, practice-perfected?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Practice does make perfect, because you're seeing what you've done incorrectly and correcting it. Repeating something mindlessly is not practice..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts