Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loss Of Control Increases Belief In Precognition And Belief In Precognition Increases Control (via @TheScientistApp)
PLOS ONE: Loss of Control Increases Belief in Precognition and Belief in Precognition Increases Control

Rather fascinating article on psychic abilities as it relates to control. Always have been interested in this line of study. Do you believe that some people have psychic ability? This article suggests, though empirical analysis, that the lack of control is a catalyst for belief in precognitive abilities.

xNTPs are logically wired for analysis. With lack of control do you find your predictive abilities increase in positive outcomes?

Reactions: sinaasappel

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
i'm not sure what you mean.

I don't see the future, I see many futures and then choose the most interesting one.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I don't believe in psychics because I am one...

Or as @nujabes put it, I don't see one future I see many. I don't always pick the most interesting one though. I like to do things the same way as electricity does. I generally follow the path of least resistance, but if there's a short I'll jump tracks in a heartbeat and if there's an open circuit I'll Tesla coil that shit and make my own path.

I think the feeling of being psychic comes from calculating the cause and effect of a situation unconsciously which means that the "psychic" is utilizing factors that they're not consciously aware of. These factors could simple such as a subtle use of linguistics or body positioning, to the insanely complex such as fluxuations in barometric pressure, temperature changes, or electromagnetic radiation. People think we only have 5 senses, but in reality we have a whole lot more, they just typically don't register consciously. Also our main 5 senses are far more complicated than people realize. People with "bum joints" can "feel" a storm coming from miles away because the nerves in their joints have less padding and therefore are more sensitive to barometric pressure. There are birds with ultra-sensitivities to the magnetic pull of the north and south pole, some people are more sensitive to this as well. The human body conducts radio wave and absorbs solar radiation as well as. There are a million things out there that we are unconsciously aware of that never consciously register, NTs are just better than most people at logically analyzing the things that we don't know that we know.

Reactions: fullofbull58

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,665 Posts
what is this ''control'' they speak of?

l dunno, l can relate to a few isolated incidences, which many people probably can. The issue is when a person's ''abilities'' are clearly motivated by personal preferences, biases and overall personality traits.

l think what happens is that people surrender personal responsibility in favor of believing that something larger than themselves will handle their problems. Sound familiar?

---

On a serious note, l think a large chunk of what people consider to be a psychic ability is really extremely efficient communication, which l could see happening between certain types.

l had an ENFP once tell me he felt like our conversations were psychic, in a way, our minds could have been so connected that we actually succeeded in reading each other's thoughts half of the time.

Since l can't do this with, say, an ESFP or ISTJ, l can see how it relates directly to the fact that l had an inherently powerful connection with that person and not an ability.

·
Registered
185 Posts
On a serious note, l think a large chunk of what people consider to be a psychic ability is really extremely efficient communication, which l could see happening between certain types.

l had an ENFP once tell me he felt like our conversations were psychic, in a way, our minds could have been so connected that we actually succeeded in reading each other's thoughts half of the time.
Very true! This is how I feel when discussing with any N-dominant person (ENxP|INxJ). It feels like telepathy but it really is just that our thought processes are resonant.

Reactions: LadyO.W.BernieBro

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,665 Posts
Very true! This is how I feel when discussing with any N-dominant person (ENxP|INxJ). It feels like telepathy but it really is just that our thought processes are resonant.
Yeah, l don't really understand the need to develop it outside of this. A few people in my family are pretty New Agey, l think the most extreme one is an ESFP.

She has all these techniques and even has a game for people to play to develop their abilities, but on a normal communication level she doesn't seem to possess anything special.

So l think she's very driven by that, l've had more accidental ''psychic'' moments with close friends than l have with her :crazy:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

I get this to a degree with N-auxiliary people too (INXP / ENXJ), but I totally get what you mean. I have a few ENXP friends which we are all really good at "reading" each other. I have found that I'm very good at reading body language though too and combined with an ability to distinguish people's general speech patterns, after observing a person for a while I'm actually fairly good at finishing people's sentences no matter the type. It's just that I can do it quicker and more easily for people who have intuition as a higher cognitive preference.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Just so we're clear, I'm a 6th dimensional being navigating the 5th dimension while experiencing a 4th dimensional life in a 3 dimensional body.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,665 Posts
l'm pre-chronologically extraterrestrial.

And l eat only the finest vegan dogfood.

·
Registered
185 Posts
l'm pre-chronologically extraterrestrial.

And l eat only the finest vegan dogfood.
My friends at work wonder why I regularly park on Visitor spots. Should I tell them I'm only visiting this planet?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,665 Posts
My friends at work wonder why I regularly park on Visitor spots. Should I tell them I'm only visiting this planet?
l don't really believe that you need to give them any excuse, seeing as your theoretical ''vehicle'' was parked in a transmetaphysical, presupposed ''space'' that exists nine million years in the future-past.

Reactions: Quac

·
Registered
185 Posts
l don't really believe that you need to give them any excuse, seeing as your theoretical ''vehicle'' was parked in a transmetaphysical, presupposed ''space'' that exists nine million years in the future-past.
Mind boggles... how did you know I don't travel in space but in time...? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I am christian and I like new age concepts, different religions/spiritualities ect. I don't deny other beliefs and I'm more okn the spiritual side of things. I think they all have something in common and I like to put them together make connections. There are some people who are psychic and/or blessed with psychic gifts. But in general I can just figure people out because they underestimate me! Also I don't like to lose control of any situation, and this is because I think precievers are judgers on the inside, and I handle situations by adapting (entp-chamelion-ness).

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think most new-agey things are hogwash and poppycock (as a previous thread discussed); however, I do believe in the power of the human mind and that there are many things it is capable of that no one has discovered yet (including talking our bodies into healing itself). I think there is a possibility that a certain developed mind might be able to process future routes so quickly it seems like being psychic. I do think people that call themselves psychic are probably just really good at physically reading people's body language and emotions. I actually think there are not many ENTP psychics, like above, we constantly see many futures at once so predicting the far out future would be hard because we understand that time is not linear. I also think emotion reading comes into play too and we aren't really good in the emotion department. I am guessing psychic are more often SFs.

I will say there are weird things that have happened to people that are hard to explain away. For example my ESFJ mom once woke up at 2:00am in the morning on a Monday yelling "Mommy!" when she was in her 20s and she got a weird feeling she should go see her mom. When she went home her sister who rarely visited was there too. My mom kept bugging my Grandma to see if something was wrong and her mom kept asking her if she was ok. When my mom was dropping her sister off at the train station, her sister said she was concerned about my Grandma and told my mom that she woke up on Monday at 2:00am yelling "Mommy!". Now both were freaked out. When my mom was leaving to go back to her place, my Grandma pulled my mom aside and asked her if she was alright because she woke up at 2:00am on Monday to the sound of "Mommy!" being yelled and she couldn't tell if it was my mom or her sister that had come home. The funny thing is that there wasn't anything wrong with my Grandma or the sisters. However, they were the two that moved away from their hometown and it had been a while since they visited. I really can't rationally explain how all of them were connected for that brief moment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts