• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given there are increasingly more members coming here, I would like to poll infps' on their preferred thread topics on the infp subforum; just to see what people prefer.

Please choose general topics you enjoy to read and/or engage in on this forum (I am aware some of these cross over).

philosophy and critical thinking
psychology
advice (requests for help or validation)
relating threads ("do you do this, or is it just me?")
Informative (advice from members or relevant information that may concern infp issues)
clarification and exploration of mbti/jung (discussion of functions, other types)
lighthearted (threads about other forum members, photos etc)
creative (threads allowing for self expression; writing, art)
personal stories
relationships
sexuality
"new age" or "spiritual"
real world concerns (job, finances etc)
world events (society, culture etc)
music, films, novels and characters
self growth

Feel free to elaborate below. Perhaps indicate what you'd like to see more of, and less of. Add any other topics I have missed out on. And please keep it civil :)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
A bit of everything, really. Self growth and unusual stuff (things that are not normally discussed or expanded in general society). Lighthearted stuff like threads about other forum members, photos and funny stuff are great too, because they can bring us closer (hopefully..I like the 'feel' of the threads at times)

I hope everyone will be okay with the forum in the long run.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
I think the main problem in the INFP forum is creating too many new threads. A lot of the time, there's already been a similar (even identical!) topic discussed not even a month ago. Other times, there's been threads with people not interested in replies, or just wanting replies of a "oh, that's great," or "that's so sad." Maybe I'm in the minority, but to me the INFP forum is like a meeting of the minds, a place to discover differences, similarities, and to get more information.

Also, I'm sorry for the super long post... And Nova, thank you for asking! I've been thinking about this a little, so I'm really glad you've made this thread.

philosophy and critical thinking:
It's an N forum. Without this, it'd be a little weird! Just... collective. Creating theories together or building on each other's theories. (Or sharing opposing views.)

psychology:
There's already another forum for this under "Topics of Interest." It's the first one, in fact. Please, go there for most of psychology. INFP-related psychology is fine.

advice (requests for help or validation):
INFPs need this a lot, so to not allow this would severely hamper members.

relating threads ("do you do this, or is it just me?"):
Same as above.

Informative (advice from members or relevant information that may concern infp issues):
Again, same as above. And, actually, thinking about it, some should go into the Article section (I reference Matchbook's threads later). There's been some I really like and some I don't; it's a personal thing, I guess.

clarification and exploration of mbti/jung (discussion of functions, other types):
While I think most of this should go into the "Myers Briggs Forum" part, some of it should stay in the INFP forum. It's a judgement call, really. There's been some that don't belong here and some that do.

lighthearted (threads about other forum members, photos etc):
Because we all need to have fun. But it should be consolidated.

creative (threads allowing for self expression; writing, art):
Now... This is difficult. If one person is expressing themselves, then no. There's TONS of other resources to do that. If it's an open project (there was one thread that invited everyone to create a story), then sure. Maybe you could create a subforum for INFP creativeness, but if you do, I'm of the opinion for one thread per member in most circumstances.

personal stories:
As a general whole, probably not. It's a hard decision. "I'm new, this is my story," no. Those should be in the Intro forum. Personal stories that want input or "Am I the only one who went through this?" replies, then that's fine. Just to say how you've grown up is... Eh.

relationships/sexuality:
Definitely, yes.

"new age" or "spiritual":
Not my thing, so I voted no. Other INFPs will see it differently. I don't have a problem with seeing these threads, they're just the ones I'm probably going to not even enter.

real world concerns (job, finances etc):
Same as "advice," again.

world events (society, culture etc):
INFPs, generally, see the world differently. This is healthy to explore and make sure we're not crazy. I think the main thing is broad subjects for the most part.

music, films, novels and characters:
It's interesting to see if we have similar tastes in things, but needs more consolidation.

self growth:
I'm... honestly not sure what this includes. More one-off posts as referenced in "creative?" No. The ones like Matchbook posts sometimes? Those should go in the Articles. It depends.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the main problem in the INFP forum is creating too many new threads. A lot of the time, there's already been a similar (even identical!) topic discussed not even a month ago. Other times, there's been threads with people not interested in replies, or just wanting replies of a "oh, that's great," or "that's so sad." Maybe I'm in the minority, but to me the INFP forum is like a meeting of the minds, a place to discover differences, similarities, and to get more information.

Also, I'm sorry for the super long post... And Nova, thank you for asking! I've been thinking about this a little, so I'm really glad you've made this thread.
:) the thorough answer is great.

Well I noticed there was a bit of hostility floating around, so I thought it was best if it were channeled somewhere, and for us to get possibly something constructive out of it.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
I wish there was more moderation in this forum for the follow things:

1. There are too many repeat threads. Can some moderator go through all the threads and merge similar topics. If a new thread is started that has been discussed before can the moderator catch this and merge with existing topic.

2. If a thread has graphic sex talk in it can it be noted on the thread title can it be labled as so. Some of us, believe it or not will not even enter that thread.

3. If someone starts a thread "INFPs..... what do you think about...." can it be that only INFPs can answer.

4. Some members have been spamming the INFP forum with new threads. "Thanks for putting up with my spamming the INFP thread...." Can some of the spammers be directed to their blogs for an outlet of expression. I agree with Wisdom in the post below this one -- there's lots of noise here lately.

5. If a topic starts out as "Do INFPs make it into college...." I see this as an obvious troll topic and will not reply or add that user to my ignore list. I wonder why a moderator doesn't see this as trolling and delete the topic.

Threads I have enjoyed in this forum (just a very, very small sample):
Post a picture that represents You or how you Feel
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/31963-whole-dna-thing.html
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/32517-perfect-world.html or Perfect community (one of the repeaters)
INFPs on Beauty
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/32374-meaning-life-according-infp-course.html (may be a repeater also)
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/32074-you-really-idealistic-optimistic.html
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/32346-infp-cooking-d.html (may be a repeater also)
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/31967-lyrics-you-feel-show-facet-your-spirit.html

Also, I like these topics
creative

I don't like, but this just is my non-preference:
advice (I don't like giving too much advice over the nets)
the sex, dating, relationship and school threads (I'm past all that but just don't click because I know the pop. here is younger)
threads about other forum members, photos
I don't like the posts with concrete generalizations about INFPs - - ->> "INFPs like... " or "INFPs are always..." or "INFPs never are...." I have found I disagree with the generalizations (it doesn't apply to me) yet there it is right up there in writing "INFPs are always like..." I can provide you with many examples of this, if you like. Can this happen -- people write about themselves and use the word "I" instead of grouping all INFPs under one big broad brush stroke. "Sometimes INFPs will...." or "Many but not all INFPs have this characterics....." or "Some INFPs will...."

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Yes, exactly, Paradigm is right, and I briefly brought up the issue myself yesterday. The only thing I would add to the above is that some threads that on the surface seem good are getting unwieldy because of posts that are basically chit-chat. Wait, one more thing - notice how 'the people'' wants a broad variety of topics, yet the actual range topics is much narrower and arguably very focused on dating and sexuality. Maybe it's driving some INFPs away, like to Topics of Interest. (I disagree that non-controversial topics should actually go there.) Less noise and more deep topics here, please.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I strongly agree with Sily's first request and hope that a 'memo' will go out about it somewhere on the website. I also think her fourth request should be heeded.

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'll just categorize it based on what I look at the most

Read virtually all the time
personal stories
relationships
sexuality

May glance at
Informative (advice from members or relevant information that may concern infp issues)
self growth

Never touch
psychology
clarification and exploration of mbti/jung (discussion of functions, other types)
"new age" or "spiritual"

------------

I'm not completely sure what you intend to do with this. Sub forums within the INFP section wouldn't hurt for things like sex + relationships, advice + self growth, and maybe a pictures section. I would -hate- the idea of any of these being lumped up topics like most of the stickies we have on here (on that note, some of them are really unpopular and are probably un-stick worthy now, imo).

4,757 Posts
psychology
personal stories
relationships
sexuality
"new age" or "spiritual"
self growth
Recently I've felt pretty alienated from the sub-forum. I guess it's mainly due to the focus on sexuality (I don't mind talking about it ... I just feel that we've recently talked about it too much) and due to the overwhelming amount of new threads created.

Bolded is what I prefer. It doesn't mean that I won't read the other types of threads, of course. I particularly enjoy threads that are creative - that are means of self expression. And I love threads that invoke our Si function - like a wonderful memory, beautiful smells, sensations evoked by pictures and words.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I actually was thinking of sub-forums, maybe just for sexuality and pictures. If this part of the site is active enough for it. Sometimes I wish this website were INFPpersonalitycafe. Then again, there was a website like that, and it quickly turned hellish. Replacing some of the stickies also is a good idea.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Recently I've felt pretty alienated from the sub-forum. I guess it's mainly due to the focus on sexuality (I don't mind talking about it ... I just feel that we've recently talked about it too much) and due to the overwhelming amount of new threads created.

Bolded is what I prefer. It doesn't mean that I won't read the other types of threads, of course. I particularly enjoy threads that are creative - that are means of self expression. And I love threads that invoke our Si function - like a wonderful memory, beautiful smells, sensations evoked by pictures and words.
well said.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I actually would like more religious and political discussions, but then I hope we don't get into fights and name calling like other forums do (it tends to turn out that way), that's why I don't really bring it up much.

4,757 Posts
*bump* I would love to hear more opinions

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
philosophy and critical thinking, psychology, creative, personal stories, relationships, self growth
i love to hear about the deep personal thoughts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I actually would like more religious and political discussions, but then I hope we don't get into fights and name calling like other forums do (it tends to turn out that way), that's why I don't really bring it up much.
we've had a few threads on those in the past, you could bump them back up if you're that interested

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Too much angst and/or new-agey spiritual threads can make me vomit, but I guess I'm good for pretty much everything else. I dunno.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
I agree with most of Sily's recommendations. Maybe I'm just really unobservant, but I haven't noticed a high increase in sexuality/dating threads. I did forget about the sexuality subforum, too, which is something else people should be aware of.

The only thing I would add to the above is that some threads that on the surface seem good are getting unwieldy because of posts that are basically chit-chat. Wait, one more thing - notice how 'the people'' wants a broad variety of topics, yet the actual range topics is much narrower
4. Some members have been spamming the INFP forum with new threads. "Thanks for putting up with my spamming the INFP thread...." Can some of the spammers be directed to their blogs for an outlet of expression.
Sily and Wisdom said it much better than I did. I don't like spammers. There's some people that post too much, half of it not even adding to the discussion (an "LOL!" post or a "Yes, I are teh awesome" one). People need to think before they post. I understand the sudden feeling of "HEY! I'm not the only one! Huzzah!" but that doesn't mean you have to ask or say everything on your mind about it. This is an open discussion forum, and it should stay as such, but open discussion and verbal (okay, textual) diarrhea are very different.

I've, too, felt alienated from this part of the forum. It's definitely the part I frequent most, but more and more it's too... well, spammed, really. It feels like threads are buried too fast and they're too, uh, flighty/surfacey like Wisdom mentioned. People aren't satisfied with the "deep thought" threads, apparently... By the time I feel ready to answer them (I tend to think for a couple days about the deeper threads), I can't find them! I do like the pace of responses in this part of PerC, but the Sensor subforums are ten times easier to navigate.

And now I'm worried I'm being too harsh... :unsure:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.