Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's basically PMS^1,000And apparently I "have" it.Basically, a few days before my time of the month and the first day, I have intense suicidal, depressive and often manic symptoms.I was previously diagnosed as bi polar, but my psychiatrist and I recently came to the exciting discovery that this is the actual root of the problem.I've been taking vitamins, an antidepressant, and some homeopathic remedies and it's been working wonders :) Supposedly birth control can help as well, but I'm not interested in pursuing this at the moment.I just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone wasn't already familiar with the phenomena. I won't insult your intelligence by linkin' it because we all know you can use the Google ;DAny insight or insults you care to offer me? :>

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I guess that I don't have any insights as I don't deal with this, but I just wanted to say that hormones can be very hard to deal with and many people have no idea what it feels like! Once I was trying out a pill brand, and I've experienced what it was like to feel down and depressive even thought I don't have any apparent reason for it. Felt like crying for no reason, down for no reason, and mood was all screwed... Changed pill brand and it disappeared. The only positive thing was that I was self aware enough to notice this absurd change of mood so I could identify the source of the issue after a while. People who are not too aware might not know that it was a chemical/physiological issue that can be solved, and might attribute the problems to their own personal traits which is not good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's basically PMS^1,000And apparently I "have" it.Basically, a few days before my time of the month and the first day, I have intense suicidal, depressive and often manic symptoms.I was previously diagnosed as bi polar, but my psychiatrist and I recently came to the exciting discovery that this is the actual root of the problem.I've been taking vitamins, an antidepressant, and some homeopathic remedies and it's been working wonders :) Supposedly birth control can help as well, but I'm not interested in pursuing this at the moment.I just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone wasn't already familiar with the phenomena. I won't insult your intelligence by linkin' it because we all know you can use the Google ;DAny insight or insults you care to offer me? :>
I wonder if this happens to many INFXs. I sometimes experience this, at least, I used to but I was under a lot of stress and was having a very unhealthy relationship. It didn't go so severe as having suicidal thoughts but being very depressed, feel like crying, anxious, miserable, hopeless... It troubled my lifestyle. I began yoga around this time and changed my lifestyle this includes taking vitamins and herbal remedies and changing the work place and doorslaming the persons who were making me feel that way.

We INFJs internalize stress and physically become ill as a result, I guess they end up creating hormonal depression before period. Majority of women experience some kind of PMS issues. Ours (if we are not careful enough) get severe, I guess. Are you under a lot of stress?

I know a couple of INFPs who experience similar things.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm gonna ask you some questions and I hope they're not intrusive. I'm asking for my own sake as I've been diagnosed bipolar too

Since last August, I can count two very distinctive mood episodes. The rest were less distinctive. I actually started to think I was cyclothymic because other than those two episodes, I've tended to have less intense ups and downs very unpredictably and lasting a day or so. Those two episodes both happened around a menstrual cycle for me, but they didn't happen before, only during and after. I've read the timeline is pretty strict...It happens before and then chills down after the period starts, is that right? I also know that the menstrual cycle can influence mood disorders, so that's why i have to wonder

Also, I'm curious what your manic symptoms are like. When I read about PMDD, it seems the manic symptoms don't include the extreme optimism and similar symptoms, but only the agitated manic symptoms

I'm glad you could find some natural remedies to help you some, by the way. My mom has PMDD too so I know how intense it can be

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Embrace your wild woman. Find a way to retreat and reflect. Say no to birth control. No no no. It's a horrible plot to make you a dependent pregnant woman or a man.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Embrace your wild woman. Find a way to retreat and reflect. Say no to birth control. No no no. It's a horrible plot to make you a dependent pregnant woman or a man.
Please expound!!

I mean, I have my own reasons for not pursuing birth control, but I'd love to hear your perspective :) It sounds well researched and thought out.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna ask you some questions and I hope they're not intrusive. I'm asking for my own sake as I've been diagnosed bipolar too

Since last August, I can count two very distinctive mood episodes. The rest were less distinctive. I actually started to think I was cyclothymic because other than those two episodes, I've tended to have less intense ups and downs very unpredictably and lasting a day or so. Those two episodes both happened around a menstrual cycle for me, but they didn't happen before, only during and after. I've read the timeline is pretty strict...It happens before and then chills down after the period starts, is that right? I also know that the menstrual cycle can influence mood disorders, so that's why i have to wonder

Also, I'm curious what your manic symptoms are like. When I read about PMDD, it seems the manic symptoms don't include the extreme optimism and similar symptoms, but only the agitated manic symptoms

I'm glad you could find some natural remedies to help you some, by the way. My mom has PMDD too so I know how intense it can be
Well... I didn't start thinking I was bi polar until I was in an abusive relationship and he really got into my head, got me questioning myself and reality.

I definitely had depression, though. That's been clear since about 5th grade, which, coincidentally was when I first got my period.
Hm...........

Then I started meeting people who were bipolar and they talked about how the depression was being treated but the mania had been going unnoticed and before I knew it I was just psyching myself up :p
I get hyper at times, I have a lot of energy... But I think that's all just me not being super depressed, you know?

It's hard to explain fully, but there were always giant gaps in how much I identified with bipolarism, and there were never very distinct "manic" periods. I did have depressive periods though... Get it? Periods.... Sorry.

But please tell me more about your Mother's struggle with PMDD! I'm so new to this, and I've honestly never met or heard of anyone online or in reality experiencing this. It helps me feel not so alone, so thank you for posting (internetland hug)

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Please expound!!

I mean, I have my own reasons for not pursuing birth control, but I'd love to hear your perspective :) It sounds well researched and thought out.
My experiences with birth control were terrible. I gained weight, lost motivation and felt kind of ...ugh. I actually had to go to the emergency room for edema, something pregnant women usually experience. When I took the shot, I spotted blood every day. It's not healthy. You really mess with your body and mind when you take something to stop pregnancy.

Upon further research I found it actually affects whom you are attracted to, like a pregnant woman. You can also lose or significantly decrease your sex drive.

It's messing with who you are. That's not ok. It's like taking who a woman is outside if pregnancy away. Pregnancy isn't meant to be a permanent state.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Had a long discussion about this on a different forum, a woman was saying this is basically DSM folks trying to put a scientific name on sexist questions every time a woman is angry or not agreeing with a guy. I knew what she was talking about but I don't think that's what this diagnosis is. It's not an excuse to reframe things as women being hormonal or irrational or something. It applies to a small percentage of women who have particular difficulties that goes above and beyond the more natural and normal reactions.

I know that's not the subject of the thread, so sorry for the digression...

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Had a long discussion about this on a different forum, a woman was saying this is basically DSM folks trying to put a scientific name on sexist questions every time a woman is angry or not agreeing with a guy. I knew what she was talking about but I don't think that's what this diagnosis is. It's not an excuse to reframe things as women being hormonal or irrational or something. It applies to a small percentage of women who have particular difficulties that goes above and beyond the more natural and normal reactions.

I know that's not the subject of the thread, so sorry for the digression...
Who are women "supposed to be"? Maybe they are supposed to operate on moon rather than sun time. Primitive tribes understood this and gave women their own space away. Everything is not about men and their concept of the world, nor should feminism be necessarily about "trying to be equal in the man's world."

I do agree if a person is suicidal or homicidal that goes beyond any "normal" stress response, though.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,393 Posts
My experiences with birth control were terrible. I gained weight, lost motivation and felt kind of ...ugh.
You really mess with your body and mind when you take something to stop pregnancy.

Upon further research I found it actually affects whom you are attracted to, like a pregnant woman. You can also lose or significantly decrease your sex drive.

It's messing with who you are. That's not ok. It's like taking who a woman is outside if pregnancy away. Pregnancy isn't meant to be a permanent state.
It was many years ago, but my experiences with birth control pills were also terrible. I turned into someone I didn't like, and I'm not sure how my husband tolerated it. The effects on me were so bad I had to get off of them. I didn't want to end up divorced because I was nearly impossible to get along with. I felt angry and agitated a good deal of the time. My doctor even switched my prescription but the results were no better.

·
11,928 Posts
Well... I didn't start thinking I was bi polar until I was in an abusive relationship and he really got into my head, got me questioning myself and reality.

I definitely had depression, though. That's been clear since about 5th grade, which, coincidentally was when I first got my period.
Hm...........

Then I started meeting people who were bipolar and they talked about how the depression was being treated but the mania had been going unnoticed and before I knew it I was just psyching myself up :p
I get hyper at times, I have a lot of energy... But I think that's all just me not being super depressed, you know?

It's hard to explain fully, but there were always giant gaps in how much I identified with bipolarism, and there were never very distinct "manic" periods. I did have depressive periods though... Get it? Periods.... Sorry.

But please tell me more about your Mother's struggle with PMDD! I'm so new to this, and I've honestly never met or heard of anyone online or in reality experiencing this. It helps me feel not so alone, so thank you for posting (internetland hug)
She also has problems with anxiety and depression, so that's kinda mixed in there

She's taken birth control pills, but I definitely don't think you need to if you can find better ways to handle it. She had to go off of them of course when she decided to have my baby sister so I know a lot of these times she'd get angry it was because of the PMDD. But she explained to us all eventually that the anger wasn't really 'anger', it was just the only way her anxiety knew to manifest itself. She'd always sit and talk with us after anything happened and that made it better. I suppose just try to explain to others what's going on, why it happens, so that maybe they understand how intense it is and how hard it is to control

I'm explaining it from a really selfish perspective, I know, sorry. I was basically a kid when most of it was happening so that's what I saw..But making sure people can understand what's going on is good for you too that way they can be there for you when you need it. If you do. I'm thinking mainly of my mom who usually does, but that might just be her. Also it can help you not feel so misunderstood which could make things worse for you

Also, she was initially diagnosed with bipolar disorder too, but the pills didn't help her. In fact she had a horrible...period:)D) after that and she still has the scars to remember it by. Those were mood stabilizers, by the way, not antidepressants or anything

*hug*

I'm not even sure if any of that truly helps. A lot of that is the same for any number of things including bipolar disorder

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I struggle with depression and some anxiety, and suspect I may have PMDD also.

Taking hormonal birth control gave me terrible mood swings. I'm a melancholy sort of depressive, but the BC made me angry, rageful, hot-headed. I didn't feel like myself - it was bad. I tried a few different types of BC and all of them wreaked havoc on me, so I finally stopped taking it.

I'd advise anyone with depression, bipolar, or anxiety to exercise caution when it comes to birth control.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She also has problems with anxiety and depression, so that's kinda mixed in there

She's taken birth control pills, but I definitely don't think you need to if you can find better ways to handle it. She had to go off of them of course when she decided to have my baby sister so I know a lot of these times she'd get angry it was because of the PMDD. But she explained to us all eventually that the anger wasn't really 'anger', it was just the only way her anxiety knew to manifest itself. She'd always sit and talk with us after anything happened and that made it better. I suppose just try to explain to others what's going on, why it happens, so that maybe they understand how intense it is and how hard it is to control

I'm explaining it from a really selfish perspective, I know, sorry. I was basically a kid when most of it was happening so that's what I saw..But making sure people can understand what's going on is good for you too that way they can be there for you when you need it. If you do. I'm thinking mainly of my mom who usually does, but that might just be her. Also it can help you not feel so misunderstood which could make things worse for you

Also, she was initially diagnosed with bipolar disorder too, but the pills didn't help her. In fact she had a horrible...period:)D) after that and she still has the scars to remember it by. Those were mood stabilizers, by the way, not antidepressants or anything

*hug*

I'm not even sure if any of that truly helps. A lot of that is the same for any number of things including bipolar disorder
*hugs you back*

I don't think you're being selfish in the least. You're explaining it from your perspective - the only way you can! And what a scary perspective that must have been as a child :( I'm sorry that happened.

I'm glad that your mother was humble enough to explain the anger and imperfections on her part. My Mom is a tiny bit abusive and I've never really gotten an apology for all that rage.
But I'll be sure to take a page out of your story and try to manifest anxiety as something else and to be especially mindful of how my behavior impacts my children, if I ever end up having them :)

Oh, yikes! I'm on a very small dosage (25 mg of lamictal twice a day) and I honestly haven't seen any changes.
However, when I was on risperdal I felt sluggish and irritable :( It was horrid.

I'll keep in mind all you've said! Thank you :) You've been so helpful and empathetic.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I struggle with depression and some anxiety, and suspect I may have PMDD also.

Taking hormonal birth control gave me terrible mood swings. I'm a melancholy sort of depressive, but the BC made me angry, rageful, hot-headed. I didn't feel like myself - it was bad. I tried a few different types of BC and all of them wreaked havoc on me, so I finally stopped taking it.

I'd advise anyone with depression, bipolar, or anxiety to exercise caution when it comes to birth control.
Yikes, thank you for the warning!

I'm really surprised to see the consensus here seems to be against birth control when I've literally never heard anything bad about them in non-internet world sans the whole weight gain issue.

And I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with mental illness, too :( And those mood swings must have been terrifying; holy crap...

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was many years ago, but my experiences with birth control pills were also terrible. I turned into someone I didn't like, and I'm not sure how my husband tolerated it. The effects on me were so bad I had to get off of them. I didn't want to end up divorced because I was nearly impossible to get along with. I felt angry and agitated a good deal of the time. My doctor even switched my prescription but the results were no better.
That's so awful :( I'm so sorry.

Well, I imagine he "tolerated" you because he loves you and meant what he said at the altar. I'm not saying the guy is a saint, but there is something to be said for loyalty, I s'pose. I'm glad you were able to get off the evil stuff though!!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yikes, thank you for the warning!

I'm really surprised to see the consensus here seems to be against birth control when I've literally never heard anything bad about them in non-internet world sans the whole weight gain issue.

And I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with mental illness, too :( And those mood swings must have been terrifying; holy crap...
Yep, it's really a mixed bag when it comes to potential effects...and I wish more people talked about it. I think the emphasis is usually on weight gain or acne, and people gloss over the emotional/psychological effects, which can be serious.

Hormonal birth control caused me to gain a little weight, which was okay, but I developed stretch marks on my legs as well, which made me pretty upset - being in my 20's and having no children, I felt that I was too young to have those. I did some research and that appears to be a side-effect that many others have had on hormonal birth control. No mention of that stuff was made to me when I went to first start taking birth control. I get that they don't want to scare people by mentioning unlikely outcomes and all, but knowing the possibility of lasting physical changes would have been nice. I've since lost the extra weight, and the stretch marks have faded, but they're still there. :/

I should probably also mention that BC can mess with your libido. One type in particular made me totally disinterested in sexual activity (that in itself is effective pregnancy prevention, lol). That made me feel depressed. I realize I may place more importance on sex than others might, but I'd assume most people care at least somewhat about that. It's an aspect of your relationship(s) that matters.

Of course, everyone's body is different. I don't intend to freak people out saying any of this, I just want to be honest about my experiences with birth control so that others can make informed choices. It's entirely possible to take hormonal BC and experience no mood swings, weight changes, libido changes, stretch marks, etc. - but I think everyone should know that there is a possibility for those things to happen as well.

I'm currently on a low dose of citalopram and it appears to be effective for treating symptoms of depression, anxiety and PMDD.

·
exploring space
10,405 Posts
I probably qualified for PMDD a few years back. I had psychological problems in general at the time and my period didn't help at all. I took antidepressants and birth control pills, now about 6 years, I've stopped them both, pretty much solved my issues and am fine. I still notice mood changes during my cycle but I can understand they are related to my hormones so I combat the negative thoughts effectively and just endure it.

·
11,928 Posts
*hugs you back*

I don't think you're being selfish in the least. You're explaining it from your perspective - the only way you can! And what a scary perspective that must have been as a child :( I'm sorry that happened.

I'm glad that your mother was humble enough to explain the anger and imperfections on her part. My Mom is a tiny bit abusive and I've never really gotten an apology for all that rage.
But I'll be sure to take a page out of your story and try to manifest anxiety as something else and to be especially mindful of how my behavior impacts my children, if I ever end up having them :)

Oh, yikes! I'm on a very small dosage (25 mg of lamictal twice a day) and I honestly haven't seen any changes.
However, when I was on risperdal I felt sluggish and irritable :( It was horrid.

I'll keep in mind all you've said! Thank you :) You've been so helpful and empathetic.
My mom grew up with some abuse herself along with no one really taking the time to explain anything to her, and it really affected her. That's why she tries to take the time talk about things so much, because she knows it's one of those things that might have made things better for her

Awareness is the key, and you seem very self aware, so that's great :) I wish you luck on your journey. And I'm sure if you have kids, they will grow up well

Reactions: Fern
1 - 19 of 19 Posts