Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
🌈🎹☮ INFJ 666 sx/sp 🇺🇸💃🏻💋
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming you want to get married, would you sign one if asked?
If you had significant assets going into marriage would you ask your fiancé to sign one?

Would being asked or someone refusing to sign be a deal breaker for you?

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
i wouldn't get married precisely because i have to contemplate something like this

·
Registered
🌈🎹☮ INFJ 666 sx/sp 🇺🇸💃🏻💋
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend is having this issue. She's been dating this guy since college, he's never been interested in marriage. Suddenly her mom dies and she inherits a good bit of money and property and he's all will you marry me and trying to convince her to sell off the assets. He's refusing to sign anything and she's torn.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
what if they see your move as you being distrusting and keeping distance?
Theres 3.5 billion women, not all of them are just after resources. Id cut my losses, be thankful that Im not living in a cardboard box and keep the resources I have. Better to have no woman and resources, than no woman and no resources.

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
My friend is having this issue. She's been dating this guy since college, he's never been interested in marriage. Suddenly her mom dies and she inherits a good bit of money and property and he's all will you marry me and trying to convince her to sell off the assets. He's refusing to sign anything and she's torn.
Sounds fishy for sure. I could see how someone would be unwilling to marry out of insecurity that they wont have enough to support family and now that it changed it feels more safe to do so. I could definitely see that change of heart happening in people and it's not necessarily bad. However,the part that he doesn't want to sign is certainly suspect.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Sounds suspicious. Very suspicious, dump him.

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
Theres 3.5 billion women, not all of them are just after resources. Id cut my losses, be thankful that Im not living in a cardboard box and keep the resources I have. Better to have no woman and resources, than no woman and no resources.
You misunderstand, I mean that it's possible someone becomes hurt by that move and see it as you not trusting them enough and therefore not loving them enough, even if they had no intention of going after your resources. Also I assume that if you want to marry that woman you will also have serious feelings about her.
And let's be realistic, 3.5 billion women in the world doesn't mean you have access to all of them. This mentality is ridiculous. Realistically you can have a handful of serious relationships so if you are at the brink of marriage you don't just "cut your losses".

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I would gladly sign. And were I to be burdened by a large abundance of resources in the future I would probably ask a future mate to sign one as well.

My stance on marriage is that it should not be based on resources and sharing. Though realistically it does enable for a ton of mutual benefits because of it.

If a future SO refused to sign and regarded it as a lack of trust, then ultimately is the act of marriage based on a sharing of assets by her perspective?

It shouldn't matter if that wasn't the reason we were getting married in the first place.

If she got to know me then if we had a change of heart and sought to leave one another I would not leave her to the wolves.
However if she willingly betrayed my trust by other means(like cheating) then I would not be financially beholden to her when I choose to leave. Which in my books is a perfectly acceptable way of operating in that particular situation.

In terms of your friend OP that is highly suspicious. Especially him forcing to sell off assets. If he truly wanted to be with her then why not hold onto them for their mutual benefit in the future? Liquidation seems like a path that someone who was only after the money would take.

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
My country doesn't have prenups, the assets of every partner are their own they don't get merged after marriage, so divorce does not affect any assets that are not owned by both. We have a law that if you contribute at least 1/3 to the increase of your ex-partner's assets then you are entitled to claim it or get money for it and whatnot. Also anything inherited is personal and not shared, even if you sell them.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Sounds fishy for sure. I could see how someone would be unwilling to marry out of insecurity that they wont have enough to support family and now that it changed it feels more safe to do so. I could definitely see that change of heart happening in people and it's not necessarily bad. However,the part that he doesn't want to sign is certainly suspect.
Thats quite a contradiction to what you said before:

I mean that it's possible someone becomes hurt by that move and see it as you not trusting them enough and therefore not loving them enough, even if they had no intention of going after your resources
Is it only when a woman cant gain resources that its bad. Where as in this case its a guy so its suspicious?

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
Thats quite a contradiction to what you said before:

Is it only when a woman cant gain resources that its bad. Where as in this case its a guy so its suspicious?
That guy changed his mind about marriage only after his girlfriend got richer and refuses to sign a prenup.
You immediately thought that someone who doesn't want to sign would be a gold digger and I proposed a different interpretation to you. It's not about what I believe, I don't have a problem with prenups.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Can I marry your friend? I'd really like some of that inheritance.

OTR though I'd never get married and hear prenups sometimes don't even hold up in courte.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
My spouse and I didn't get a prenup, but we don't have that much in terms of assets, so I guess we figured it doesn't matter that much. Call us idealistic or stupid, eh. I see why it can be a good idea and maybe if we were older with more assets or imbalanced assets it would make sense. It's hard to overcome that hurdle though of planning for things not to work out. Seems to bode poorly.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
I wouldn't sign one. I don't really believe in divorce and I would find the implication offensive. If he thinks that there is even a risk of me wanting to take him to the cleaners then he doesn't know me, doesn't trust me, and we should not get married.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
Prenups are 50/50. It depend(s) on what (X)-prenup agreement entails; whether it will be effective or lose/lose. Prenups differ via countries. I will only sign one if we have coitus regularly (&) the deal in the agreement is interesting.

In the court(s); the judge can can override it in favor the female humanoid regardless of Prenup - offspring involved only shallows it out, as we are going down into laws in place (shifting out of marital-law) - he's going to run through the (family acts), as well. Survival rate is minimized.

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
I wouldn't sign one. I don't really believe in divorce and I would find the implication offensive. If he thinks that there is even a risk of me wanting to take him to the cleaners then he doesn't know me, doesn't trust me, and we should not get married.
see, @Caveman Dreams
such a thing is what I was referring to

1 - 20 of 38 Posts