Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently took the personality test with two other friends (who both turned out to be INTJs as well), and one said she expected me to be extroverted instead of introverted, and I know why. When I'm interacting with people I often act like an extrovert; I talk very enthusiastically and can hold a conversation well.

I think it's because I'm aware of how awkward I can be when left to my own devices, so I've actually had to teach myself certain things which come naturally to others. For instance, I have a tendency to talk about myself all. the. time., so now I constantly remind myself to shift conversation to the other person every once and a while. This means that, perversely, I can sometimes be better than average at conversation. At other times, I still get it horribly wrong though!

However, I still consider myself an introvert at heart. When I have to be in a social situation, I have taught myself how to play it well, not manipulatively I hope but just to fit in and make people comfortable. But given the choice, I would rather be on my own, or at least with a very small group of people. I am very attached to my alone time; my family calls it my 'bubble time', as in 'Do you need to go sit in your bubble for a bit?'

Does anyone else have this?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Yes.

I would rather use the Enneagram to illustrate this as 5 to 8 is a natural growth path, but yes, it should happen to any healthy type 5. Actually, it would also happen to an unhealthy type 5 as the 5 to 7 is a natural path of disintegration.

Most INTJs should be type 5. That's really the only type that our personality type has a high enough congruency with to make a positive correlation. There are some that will claim type 8, type 5, type 1, or type 3, but usually they only observe the outputs. With Enneagram, it's not the what that counts, it's the why whereas with MBTI it's just the what.

This will be a long post if I elaborate any further so let's leave it at that type 5s will go to type 8 if the opportunity to grow presents itself. For example, when the current leadership is either absent or incapable, a type 5 will extend to fill that gap.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My best friend who is a professional psychologist tested my personality type as part of one of his projects at our university and I scored INTJ but I have some very non-INTJ personality traits as well.

This is just my personal opinion: I don't think it's overly useful to put too much stock in what is and is not an "introvert" or an "INTJ"....

I am an extrememly introverted person but as part of my job (research scientist working on PhD) I have to spend all kinds of time in meetings.... I absolutely hate socializing but I do quite well at conferences when I have to present my work, at group meetings when I am among a smaller group of about 20 to 30 other scientists in my field, and when I have to undergo reviews or even teach classes... Most of my students think I am "very outgoing" and "very friendly" and "easy to approach" - these are all comments that were at one time written about me on my TA evaluations but these are things I definitely work at and they are not part of my natural personality...

From where I stand and what I've observed in my own life experiences - there are all kinds of non-type specific skills that must be learned in order to function normally in society and so hats off to you for being able to successfully master something that you might not be "naturally" good at...

I'm not a psychologist so this is all just my opinion - I'm hardly qualified to talk about anything MBTI related beyond opion -but that being said imho that is what msot people would consider being healthy and well rounded...

For example: with me - I hate socializing and avoid parties like the plague if I can get away with it... I am always "sick" when we have the department christmas party or whatever other obligatory yearly social event comes around... In fact I am such an introvert I even avoided my own wedding! My husband and I got married at the courthouse and then went away together with the money we would have spent on a real wedding... for the sake of my dad we got professional photos in tux and gown (but that was all stagged LOL!)

So as I see it we are all unique despite our personality type descriptions and the fact that you are able to function outside of the typical "introvert/INTJ" box is definitely a good thing as far as I am concerend and certaily doesn't make you any more or less introverted or INTJ...

I personally don't believe that being introverted or INTJ makes you incapable of doing something or being a certain way - but rather it makes you more likely to be one way or another and based on your individual characteristics, personality, and temperment (i.e. motivated, outgoing, happy, depressed, lazy, etc) you will either utilize your "intorverted/INTJness" to become a more well rounded individual capable of being "good at" - albeit unnaturally - whatever your heart desires... or you will use the "introverted/INTJness" as a crutch to make excuses for why you aren't able to do one thing or another...

but I think which of the aforementioned categories someone finds themselves in depends on a lot more than their personalty type classification...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think most of us have to teach ourselves behaviors that are more socially acceptable.

Introverts, in the eyes of society, can often be perceived as secretive or unapproachable.
Thus, we have to train ourselves to look more approachable and friendly.

(I find that sometimes I can overdo it on the friendliness, maintaining eye contact a bit much. Not that I've ever been criticized for it by other people, I just...feel that I do)

If need be, sometimes I can flip a psychological switch and go into my ENTP profile.
But it's not who I really am.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
McDonald's here in Turkey are running a special offer on buying two identical meals so I've been asking different people at the hostel if they were interested in a Big Mac meal. 10 hours ago I went with someone interested in travel info which is something I know about. When it's just one person and the talk is on something I know about (travel, construction, and in the past politics and economics) I can sound like an extrovert for a couple of hours. On the other hand I can also spend a week without socializing with another person at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts