Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Ive been lurking on a few personality type forums, mainly INTP, INTJ and INFP; and, like alot of people, Ive been trying to figure out where I fit in to it all.
I've taken a few different Myers Briggs style test and my results seem to alter depending on my mood.
If I'm feeling low I'll score INTP or INTJ, where as if I'm feeling happy I'll score INFP.
I can relate to a number of the qualities listed for all 3 types, but the one that really seemed to fit me was the 'Idealistic' qualities of the INFP.
I have a strong moral compass and will passionatly defend and hold fast to an ideal, no matter how small it may appear to others. I dislike petty rules and bureaucracy, they lack substance and life, and to some degree patronize the rules I try and live by.
I can also relate to the need to avoid conflict, be peaceful and relaxed, and also to expect others to bare their soul to me whilst revealing as little of myself as I dare.
I can be very objective and remove myself and my view points from debate and see things as I believe others do. I can be very blunt; and perhaps aware until after the damage has been done that what I said was quite hurtful.

I get this is kind of rambling and not very linear, but if any of you could be kind enough to give me a few pointers, links, personal experiences, etc on self typing I'd be very grateful :).
Thanks in advance, J x

·
Registered
759 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about typing as something besides INFP or having traits of other types. I think everyone has a few qualities about themselves that they relate to 1-2 or more other types, and you can probably find something written about INFP that isn't part of who you are whatsoever. And based on life experiences or willingly trying to do it, you can certain develop certain aspects of yourself further.

I think MBTI is meant as a guide to figure out generalities about yourself and can help enlighten you on why you do certain things or how you can improve yourself; the specifics are what make us all individuals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I understand that noone is completely one thing or another, everything is a shade of grey. But it would be nice to know that their are other people out there who see and make sense of things in a similiar way to me lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well it sounds kind of INFPish, but I don't know a lot about most other types so I can't really say. I didn't really like Myers-Briggs when I found out about it years ago because I got INFJ and that didn't really describe me. But having taken different tests later and getting results I'm comfortable with, I'd say what worked was being really honest about about what you do or what your preferences are/have been most of the time. If you go by mood or what your ideal self would pick, your results really will be descibing someone else. It sounds like you've already done the research on your possible types, so it's just a matter of finding the consistent you, which won't be 100% any type. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sounds like an INFP to me. I would recommend reading about the cognitive brain functions - For an INFP from strongest to weakest is Fi, Ne, Si and Te (Fi = Introverted feeling is strongest and Te - Extroverted feeling is the weakest.) For INTPs two of these four functions aren't normally used and for INTJs three of the four aren't normally used.

Read up on the various types (theres a forum here devoted entirely to it) and see if they make sense to you or you agree thats how you think. I would recommend taking a cognitive function test too - which asks you how strongly you experience a certain 'trait' in my case I saw the four functions I didn't use made little sense to me and the questions were confusing. Naturally if one of the INFP traits seems a bit alien or doesn't make any sense on a certain level of consciousness or intuition then its fair to assume you may not be one (or perhaps borderline ISFP or INTP.)

The way I see it is that if you believe yourself to be a certain type, then thats fair enough, thats you type. If you want to investigate deeper howeverthen approach it with an open mind and be ready to embrace any results which may differ. The MBTI isn't a proven theory and its really a bit of a starting point I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts