Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 5w4 359 autistic
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month [September] I have binged 4 times in total, one of them last night, and now I'm feeling really anxious that something similar will happen tonight and I'll fall into the habit of doing it every day and then quickly becoming overweight as a result. Everyday I compulsively do 20,000 steps and most of the time eat no more than 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day - however, during binges, it's often 3,000 to 4,000 in one day, and I always binge in the evening or at night. I have a very burdensome workload and it's hard to adapt my exercise regime to my school life without tedium. What should I do to calm down and prevent binges? [and also, will I gain weight if I binge 2-3 days in a row, especially if I've binged too frequently recently?]

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
One of the reasons binging happens is too restrictive calorie intake. The evening and nighttime is when you're most vulnerable to feeling lonely, stressed and anxious about everything that's going on in your life, so it's easier to binge. Finding distractions when you feel the urge to binge might help sometimes. What do you enjoy doing on your spare time? Exercising even more won't prevent binges. If you enjoy writing or drawing, then it might be a good idea to write or draw when you feel the urge, to get it out of your system. This can also help with analyzing the motivation behind the behavior because you'll start to notice patterns as to when and why the urges happen, so they'll be easier to prepare for or prevent.

You've been very open about living with an eating disorder. But you're not really going to listen to anybody about it, are you? Because if you did, I'd tell you to seek help before things get really bad. There are healthy ways to control your weight that don't include a very restricted diet, compulsive exercising or impending episodes of behaviors nobody really needs to know about.

·
Registered
INTP 5w4 359 autistic
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the reasons binging happens is too restrictive calorie intake. The evening and nighttime is when you're most vulnerable to feeling lonely, stressed and anxious about everything that's going on in your life, so it's easier to binge. Finding distractions when you feel the urge to binge might help sometimes. What do you enjoy doing on your spare time? Exercising even more won't prevent binges. If you enjoy writing or drawing, then it might be a good idea to write or draw when you feel the urge, to get it out of your system. This can also help with analyzing the motivation behind the behavior because you'll start to notice patterns as to when and why the urges happen, so they'll be easier to prepare for or prevent.

You've been very open about living with an eating disorder. But you're not really going to listen to anybody about it, are you? Because if you did, I'd tell you to seek help before things get really bad. There are healthy ways to control your weight that don't include a very restricted diet, compulsive exercising or impending episodes of behaviors nobody really needs to know about.
Yes, I do keep a diary and sometimes journal about my thoughts. However, I DID once binge on a night when I was pretty hungry physiologically, but mentally, very emotionally stable as I was colouring in and listening to music. I'm due to see a dietitican tomorrow and right now I really don't know how many calories I should be eating a day. If I tell myself 1500, not 1200, then I'll just go overboard and binge again. There's no middle ground.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
However, I DID once binge on a night when I was pretty hungry physiologically, but mentally, very emotionally stable as I was colouring in and listening to music.
Binging isn't always triggered by psychological "hunger". Sometimes it is simply about being hungry.

I'm glad you're seeing a dietician. Hopefully it will make things more clear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts