Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading articles like this one 3D printing human organs - but where's the money for it? | Technology | theguardian.com and googling for a vid
(not great, but gives the idea).

If we can print organs, bone structures, etc. you could extrapolate and say we will be able to print complete human bodies one day - even including brains.

1) It could function as a real-life 'save game'. You store data of yourself in a certain state and would be able to print an exact copy of yourself as you were then.

2) It could function as the 'the island' movie

were you have a clone just for body parts.

3) It could be used like in star wars -

copying a competent soldier and creating an army.

4) It could be used to create 'improved' versions of organs, maybe even including mechanical parts like in 'deus ex' - better ears, eyes, sense of smell etc. I've read somewhere that there is already a prototype 'bionic ear'.

5) It could be used as cosmetics - to create a better looking body or parts of it. Or going further, true change of sex. Or even more creepy, to copy someone's exact likeness for whatever reason.

While this was fiction, it seems to get closer to being at least remotely possible (although it's still at least decades away I would say)

Cool? Creepy? Ideas on what the effect of this being possible would be?

EDIT: I got a slightly randy one so...

Every man could get a real 12+ inch dick - with a vibrating tip :)

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Why did I throw out that old engineering mag?! I read somewhere in there that this female in Waterloo was 3D printing hip and knee replacements, layer by powder-thin layer, that wouldn't need replacing because they'd just dissolve right in.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Re "The Island": Why would you print a clone for body parts when you could just print the body parts?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re "The Island": Why would you print a clone for body parts when you could just print the body parts?
Have you seen the movie? Not that it that's amazing but:

In the movie I believe the reason was the organs need to work, and be 'part of a whole' otherwise they fail

But it's a fictative argument so probably you could just print a usable organ.

Why did I throw out that old engineering mag?! I read somewhere in there that this female in Waterloo was 3D printing hip and knee replacements, layer by powder-thin layer, that wouldn't need replacing because they'd just dissolve right in.
Huh, interesting. If you find it do share.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Ancient Rome, it was the size of the testes that mattered, not the length of the penis.
The vagina is 3.75" long.
My point? Size doesn't matter. It's just a common misconception.
Lol. I finally know why all statues in Rome(and also Greece) seem to have tiny penises.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It'd be interesting if a brain could be manufactured in such a way. Seems like too complex an organ to replicate.

Never say never, of course.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It'd be interesting if a brain could be manufactured in such a way. Seems like too complex an organ to replicate.

Never say never, of course.
I bet it depends on the brain :tongue:

Anyway. The brain is indeed a lot more difficult due to the complexity of neuron structures and rapidly forming and changing connections; couldn't find anything more recent though then Human Replication Technology, Update 2010: Replicating the Brain « The Phantom Self

Although you can get a 3d printed model of your own brain 3D Printed Brain is Not for Transplants, Nor Zombies | 3D Printer Classifieds. I doesn't help with zombies.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I wouldn't try to waste my time on cloning humans... way too much hassle, way too controversial. However, using you own DNA to build the organs... that's a whole other story. You make them functional and, since it's your DNA, they're already adapted to you. Don't see much controversy over that.

·
Forum Conspiracy Theorist
11,238 Posts
How long before people would print humans and claim ownership

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe those New-U stations from Borderlands aren't so far-fetched after all. I read about this in Physics of the Future. It's a very interesting read.

My question is how would the brain work? Say you could make an entire human being, but their brain would be reset or possibly altered by being printed. If you wanted to make a new body for someone who was disabled or horribly wounded, how would one's "consciousness" or "soul" be transferred?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe those New-U stations from Borderlands aren't so far-fetched after all. I read about this in Physics of the Future. It's a very interesting read.

My question is how would the brain work? Say you could make an entire human being, but their brain would be reset or possibly altered by being printed. If you wanted to make a new body for someone who was disabled or horribly wounded, how would one's "consciousness" or "soul" be transferred?
If you still have the intact brain it would be some sort of brain transplant. Sounds difficult but not impossible, basically perfectly reconnecting to all nerves of the new body.

Making a brain with personality would be almost impossible I'd say. I can't imagine a scanning technique that would be accurate enough.

The only thing I can imagine is that somehow it would be possible to store memories in advance by figuring out how they are stored in our grey matter and then print a new brain with that structure.

But I cannot even fathom how difficult that would be.

Maybe we'll sooner have a computer that can calculate at 'brain' level than that it would be possible to print a brain with personality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts