Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
One of my dream jobs when I was younger was to be a PI, and it's still something I think about from time to time. I think it's the puzzle solving aspect of it that might appeal to those of our type. Depending on the case there are all manner of things both human and non human to examine and get to the bottom of in order to figure out a bigger picture.

If it's something that interests you and you have a passion for then go for it. Licensing laws are different from state to state but from what I understand not all that complicated to acquire.

In reality I think I personally am too introverted to do this sort of job effectively. I'd fit better into the role of the one secondary character the PI always calls up when they need some sort of special information or skill set.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think PI work, in the real world, ends up mostly being surveillance on suspected cheating spouses, or doing background checks. That seems like more of an S type job with the data mining and sitting and watching.

But I haven't actually *investigated* it that much.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, well the licensing thing won't be a big deal seeing as I'll be based in the UK. But I wouldn't say I'm 'passionate' about it, just something I feel I'd be good at and would enjoy it a hell of a lot more than my current job. And I'll also be forced to learn how to drive!

·
Banned
22 Posts
I would love to be a detective, but I would rather be wealthy and that is easier to obtain being an attorney. Who knows since law school doesn't require a specific degree I might study to be a detective as well in college. I often think of ways that I will kill people for fun, and it's fun testing the different methods on how I would track them down.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
I considered PI as a possible career, but then I found out that most of it ends up being detail-oriented, which sent me running the other way.

And, like Jerrick, said, there are probably a lot of emotions/emotional situations involved in the job that I want no part of.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This would be my dream job - working for the ICAC or being a Private Detective. Doing an everyday job casually by day...and investigating by night. I'm a researcher so I guess I'm getting there...sort of.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If we lived in a romanticized world, I guess it would be nice being a private detective like Dupin from Poe's stories.
But in real life it sounds very boring.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
All this detective work stuff makes me think of Sherlock Holmes and how I desperately need to get ahold of those books, I loved the movie and I think the books would be something to investigate as well.

Also being a police officer was my first choice for a job, however the chances of me getting into the FBI would be slim as I would be coming from a small town and whatnot, so instead I decided on something else, biomedical engineering!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
All this detective work stuff makes me think of Sherlock Holmes and how I desperately need to get ahold of those books, I loved the movie and I think the books would be something to investigate as well.

Also being a police officer was my first choice for a job, however the chances of me getting into the FBI would be slim as I would be coming from a small town and whatnot, so instead I decided on something else, biomedical engineering!
Funny that. Though being a PI is appealing, on the other hand I have no interest in becoming an actual police officer...official recognition, uniform, badges, and all. I think it's the undercover/secret-double life part of detective work that I fantasize about mostly.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Funny that. Though being a PI is appealing, on the other hand I have no interest in becoming an actual police officer...official recognition, uniform, badges, and all. I think it's the undercover/secret-double life part of detective work that I fantasize about mostly.
I could be wrong but I just said police officer because I don't think you can start out as a detective and the end goal was FBI anyways.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I could be wrong but I just said police officer because I don't think you can start out as a detective and the end goal was FBI anyways.
You can't. You have to start as a regular officer, work for about a year or so, and get promoted to a detective.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Lieutenant Commander Data (Brent Spiner, INTP) as Sherlock Holmes:

Sounds very intriguing - as others have said, but I'm not so sure it's realistically appealing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts