Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody, after some struggling with cognitive functions I decided to ask for your kind help... I thought I'd fill this questionnaire I found around here, hoping it may be of any help.
If it is useful to know, MBTI tests and attempted self-typing using cognitive functions over the course of the years state that I should probably be either an INFP, an ISFJ or an INTJ (?), if I remember correctly.
Thank y'all in advance (and forgive me for my mistakes, English is not my mother tongue and although I've been studying it for ages I still mess up sometimes)!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Not really an aspect... Too much self-typing, probably, and a still not comprehensive understanding of all the combinations of the cognitive functions.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I strive (almost obsessively) for authenticity and for achieving understanding of those around me. I aim to become a better person and to do at least something, however little it may be, to improve the situation of our world.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I feel at my finest whenever I can be myself and open up about what I think and feel like, whenever someone speaks his/her mind openly to me and feels comfortable sharing with me whatever he/she likes.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Being ignored, not being able to interact with others as easily as I'd like to.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
As a matter of fact, I tend to avoid making decisions for as long as I can -- the later, the better. Deciding has me anxious, since I'm prone to overthink and weigh multiple factors, trying to see both sides of the coin. Generally speaking, I think mostly about how my decision will affect other people and myself.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I'm usually pretty relaxed about this kind of things, I'd rather let others lead and try to calmly persuade them to make some changes, exposing my ideas, if I disagree with something. Anyway, I'd do my part of the project respecting the group's guidelines but putting a bit of myself in it.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
It's a small event, but it meant a lot to me: I was on holiday with a small groups of classmates I liked, the atmosphere was very relaxed and had me worrying about judgement a lot less than usual. One evening we were together in the hall, and we randomly started singing songs by an artist we all enjoy, and it was just great: I didn't feel ashamed of expressing myself, and everything seemed so natural. I remember some of the facial expressions of the others, the way we were all asking each other if we knew that one song...

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I can be very theoretical, but what I learn won't last for long if I just memorize it. I need to understand things deeply, and to put my kowledge to a use of some sort -- it doesn't have to be practical, but I generally want to expand and apply the principles I've acquired. I learn more easily by listening and critically confronting the information I receive.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Not much, especially when time is concerned: I procrastinate a lot and always end up in a rush. As for my school notes, they're all over the place.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I've never really thought about that... I guess I'd go for the principles first, and then try to analyze possible or previous applications?

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I'll admit being a little selfish under this point of view: it's crucial for me not to betray what I believe in --unless the matter is a trivial one--, and I try not to modify the way I act in order to please others. That being said, I'd want everyone to feel at ease with themselves... which doesn't necessarily mean they should belong to a given group, in my opinion.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I overthink before speaking; weird as it may sound, sometimes I actually feel the need to plan what I'm going to say in advance. This is mostly how I act in group discussions, when I intervene only if I'm really sure about what to say and about the contribution it will provide to the conversation. Such a way of interacting can be quite stressful, therefore I prefer one-to-one communication (in which I tend to expose my own self without too many filters, regretting it approximately two seconds later), which I also hope may bring out the interlocutor's "true" thoughts and views.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speak more than words?
I'd definitely like to know if I'm going to land on solid ground ;) I rarely act on impulse. As for the second question,
it depends on the situation: and if you strongly believe that something is right, I think you should act accordingly to your belief.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
It depends on my mood, I guess. I would rarely willingly go out, even though in most cases I end up having fun, it's hard for me to get out of my shell. If I weren't too tired, my friends insisted and the night out didn't include dancing I'd probably give in, though.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I have little sleep, I worry more than usual, headaches won't leave me alone, contingent obsessions -- if there are any -- worsen. On the outside, though, I might just seem slightly more tired than usual.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Inauthenticity makes me uncomfortable. This doesn't mean that I think that everyone should rightfully and blatantly blurt out each and every one of their thoughts without worrying about either being rude or hurting people, and I firmly advocate the right not to share all of what comes into one's mind; but a tendency to deliberately make up things both disturbs and scares me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Their real thoughts on things, their perception of themselves/of others, what makes them happy/unhappy/tick etc., shared experiences, movies/books/songs and I don't know really, it's different for each person. I'd just avoid gossip, it makes me feel uneasy and guilty.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
Make-up, I guess? And I don't think the way people dress is crucial when it comes to judging, either.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
I can't be sure, but combining the external evidence I have I'd say they perceive me as overall nice, caring, shy, quiet, insecure, often uneasy when around people, impartial, righteous (sometimes to an excessive extent), a quick learner, too much of a perfectionist, patient, creative, perhaps a bit too naïve. Sometimes I'm afraid their opinion of me it's better than what I actually am, and it's obvious that they see me as an ingénue who couldn't think ill of anybody if her life depended on it, which isn't true; I'm just convinced that everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, and I would never express a completely negative judgement unless I had strong evidence and a reason to do so, othen than "nah, I don't really like him/her". It's hard for me to think of anything they wouldn't know about my personality, I'm pretty much an open book...

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Listening to music, reading or writing, talking to a close friend, drawing, having a football/volleyball/wathever match, having fun with my sister, going to the movies/to the theater, meeting with my friends at somebody's place for a relaxed evening together, riding a bike, going book shopping.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
IxFP. Fi dom. I'd lean Se ISFP but your replies are very short to get a full picture.

For Se Ne I can suggest

Tertiary Si vs tertiary Ni

The IEE tends to be chronically unaware of his own bodily processes, including physiological sensations and a sense of balance and alignment with one's true desires. He sometimes has peculiar preferences or tastes, which he himself is unable to understand or fulfill. In terms of physical sensations, an IEE will almost always choose the familiar over the novel, because they know that the familiar is reliable in the positive sensation it delivers. An IEE will typically have a single item he orders at certain restaurants without fail; if he isn't in the mood for that item he doesn't eat there. He will stubbornly refuse to eat anything that he knows he does not like, refusing to try a "new recipe" of anything that he did not like before. The IEE would much rather sleep in his own bed than anywhere else as a matter of familiarity, but this preference never enters his mind when a friend invites him to stay the night, sometimes resulting in a lack of quality sleep that the IEE will forget about the next time around. IEEs almost never emphasizes his attractiveness or sexuality overtly and publicly, but dreams of being pleasing to the senses to at least a small circle of trusted friends and partners who are able to develop and enhance his sexuality and attractiveness in a trusting atmosphere. He often will obsess about his looks in front of the mirror, trying to get the right combination of preparedness and liberated comfort. It is embarrassing to come to an event overdressed, as the IEE would rather look like they simply came on a whim rather than over-prepared. They will usually undermine the time spent in preparation and will avoid speaking on the topic altogether. When getting sick, the IEE may stubbornly refuse or "conveniently forget" to take any sort of medicine. Their chosen method of dealing with sickness and physical discomfort is ignoring it until it can no longer be ignored. An IEE will frequently forget meals and sleep when excitedly working on a new project or in some sort of social gathering. Exhaustion, hunger, thirst, and full bladders will be ignored until the need is overwhelming and affects the IEE's concentration.

vs

The area of self-esteem of these types is the "wholeness" of the internal situation, internal harmony, ideological consistency and consistency of principles, internal tranquility. In order to protect this point, they usually just need a little break away from the people on this issue to resolve the inner conflicts, so they almost always cope successfully with this task. From the side, they always seem to be very consistent and principled people. They always think, do and say the same things, that is, they never contradict themselves and expect the same out of others. Sometimes, for this reason, they are considered to be "too right". They are receptive to information only when it bears no risk of destroying this inner balance, which sometimes makes them very stubborn. Will never strike a deal with his principles. Usually makes an impression of a restrained, polite, closed off, hidden, consistent person. Positive self-esteem is ensured by his ideals that may correlate poorly with the surrounding reality, which may cause neglect of what which is real. Effective in achieving specific goals, but accomplish this by breaking straight though, stopping at nothing, ignoring the outside world and external opinions. Feel good when this is reinforced by their situation: for example, position or occupation which underlines the legitimacy of such actions and means and grants them protection from the viewpoint of society. For example: "I am a soldier just doing my duty for the motherland" is to be understood as: "this grants legitimacy to my actions ". Often preach idealistic principles, stressing priority of ideas and principles over reality. Knows how to lead people, as he wants to believe that he's not lying but truly believes in his ideals. Finds that it's important to preserve internal "wholeness", thus he needs to feel monolithic correctness of their actions in terms of consistency, devotion to principle. Where the situation is too ambiguous, he will try to resolve it through simplification. In principle and consistency - "good", not in principle and consistency - "bad." Do not like those who sow contradictions and doubts. Even if he does something wrong, it's much more comfortable for him to never know about it, thus his self-esteem will be protected, so often will simply ignore it. For example, he may think that such people want to hurt him so their opinion does not matter. In general, anything that might disturb his inner ideational "wholeness" is not taken into account. "I may lose, but I will remain true to myself." Very often it is more important to them.

and videos

Reactions: Eudaimonia8

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Can you explain #4 a bit more? What do you mean by "being ignored"? For example: when do you feel most ignored? What brings those feelings on? How do you cope with them? When do you not feel ignored? Is this a constant struggle or something that happens just occasionally? Examples would help :)

I'm also pretty clear on the IFP part, but I need to know a bit more to distinguish Ne-Si from Se-Ni.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
First of all, thank you both for your help, and sorry if I was too vague, I didn't want to bother the forum with super-long and slightly contradictory explanation which would make even less sense given my tendency to get mad at myself when writing in English for not being able to properly make my points, since my supposed fluency leaves much to be desired in terms of vocabulary. :th_blush:
@Greyhart, the videos were great and explained the functions very well, thanks :kitteh: I think I might prefer Si over Se, but the picture is pretty blurry due to my chronical indecision... Thank you again anyway, you made me discover a fantastic YouTube channel which I am now eager to explore :kitteh:

@TyranAmiros, of course I can, and again, sorry for the telegraphic answers :p
I struggled with that much more in the past years: I am shy and don't really get talkative unless I know a person well (but when I do, good luck shutting me up), small talk is one of my worst nightmares (it's not that I feel superior or anything, I just can't make it most of the time, and generally won't if it involves shaming other people). Such a behaviour can be counterproductive in your first year of high school, especially combined to the fact that I don't really mind being alone and that my academic achievement has always been high (ugh, how I hate the way I sound when writing that). Looking back on it now, I'm afraid I might have come across as a bigheaded know-it-all who didn't really want to interact with others.
What I perceived, however, was an hostility which probably wasn't that widely spreaded in the first place. I often sat alone and kept silent the whole day, drawing or writing at my seat and at the same time trying not to make others notice, since I'm pretty private (I might also have written backwards a couple of times); it wasn't anything school-related -- and I usually avoided making references to the real world --, but in the back of my mind I kept wondering whether the others hated me and I deeply wanted to connect to them. At the same time, though, I didn't share those which I found to be their interests when it came to acting "older" and I considered them too loose when principles were concerned, so it appeared we had no common ground to work on. I did make friends with a girl who was considered a bit weird (an extremely bright character, truth to be told), but we ended up distancing each other, and I was back to feeling invisible.
Because that's genuinely how I felt sometimes (how original, uh?): and it was really a vicious circle, because I would get to school late, and therefore have to seat on my own, feeling the weight of everybody's indifference upon me (I sound terribly dramatic, I'm sorry. I guess it's the retelling). I didn't really blame anyone but "fate" and, in spite of my wishes, I couldn't have brought myself to strike up a conversation if my life depended on it. I had friends outside school, so I wasn't so desperately lonely; but being in class felt like the ultimate non-belonging.
Luckily, as the years went by somebody in my class noticed. They started talking to me about things we had in common -- school, sports, books --, occasionally inviting me to meetings, trying to make me feel comfortable. I probably make it sound like it was their sole occupation: it wasn't, but their small efforts made me feel considerably better, and helped me open up. I am now in my second-to-last year, and I can say I have a couple of good friends in my class and at least partially belong to the group: and it is that "partially" that both bugs me and has me feel good with myself.
I managed to get in touch with others without compromising what I believe in, and of that I am glad; but often I still feel like everybody could easily go without me (which I guess is normal, but I have some trouble coming to terms with it). Whenever everybody but me is directly addressed, or people forget to greet me, or other insignificant things such as these happen, my "if-they-don't-talk-to-me-first-they-probably-don't-want-me-to-talk-to-them-so-it's-useless-to-even-try" complex reemerges, and I feel like going hiding somewhere and get a bit upset; nevertheless I try not to show it, and probably succeed since I'm quiet most of the time anyway. My reaction to anything that upsets me concerning the way people act towards me is usually bottling my feelings up and maybe later telling about it to somebody I trust; when I feel other people are being "threatened", though, I am usually more outspoken about it.

Forgive my rambling, I got carried away in analysis (I guess this made up for my previous laconicism) :th_blush:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah, definitely IxFP. I'm not sure about N/S (thinking maybe S, but ISFP and INFP get confused quite often, so it really could go either way), and I'd definitely encourage doing some research in how Ne/Si and Se/Ni functions present in tandem with Fi specifically, since we know you have that. How do you relate to the iNtuiting attitudes?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@TyranAmiros, I had never heard of it, actually :th_blush: Unfortunately I haven't had the time to watch any episodes since I am quite busy with school these days, but I did some research and according to that I can say that my sense of humour is more an ironic than a sarcastic one, plus I don't come across as cynical, being perceived like more naïve instead (and personally I try to avoid indiscriminate cynicism: I do have a tendency to see at first only the good in things, subsequently obsessing over any evil scheme that could lie underneath the surface).
@periwinklepromise, it's difficult for me to say, and that is mainly why I have trouble typing myself... It seems to me that I rely on both sensing and intuition depending on the situation, without any real preference.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well, as an IxFP, your Sensing and iNtuiting would be easier to balance than it would be for an S or N dom. You said you thought you preferred Si over Se. Do you see any sort of use of Ne in your life?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
TyranAmiros, I had never heard of it, actually :th_blush: Unfortunately I haven't had the time to watch any episodes since I am quite busy with school these days, but I did some research and according to that I can say that my sense of humour is more an ironic than a sarcastic one, plus I don't come across as cynical, being perceived like more naïve instead (and personally I try to avoid indiscriminate cynicism: I do have a tendency to see at first only the good in things, subsequently obsessing over any evil scheme that could lie underneath the surface).

periwinklepromise, it's difficult for me to say, and that is mainly why I have trouble typing myself... It seems to me that I rely on both sensing and intuition depending on the situation, without any real preference.
It's quite possible that you'll be more confident about S vs N as you get a bit older. I think all IPs become more self-confident and assured when they leave the family house and live on their own. But they go in different directions. INPs almost universally develop keen broad-based interests--they struggle with indecision on what to study in college because everything is just so interconnected! In contrast, the ISPs I know became more focused in college. With typical Se passion, they threw themselves into learning everything about a particular subject. My ENFP freshman roommate dated an ISTP girl for a while who was going into medicine. At first, they really got along because he introduced her to new experiences, but as time went on, he drifted away from science toward the arts just as she focused down to apply to medical schools. At 30, he's still a bit of a drifter, but she's a surgeon. Stereotypical.

If you're under 20--especially under 16--you'll need to keep an open mind about aux Ne-Si vs Se-Ni--it'll come out over time.

On Daria--you should check it out when you have time (each episode is only 20 minutes). I recommend it because she's INFP and her best friend Jane is ISFP, so you have a good opportunity to compare the two types in a variety of situations. Daria is often mistyped as INTJ or INTP. However, logical as she can be, she's motivated by a strong Fi value system by which ideas (Ne) are considered and evaluated. And she's definitely an Ne user. Jane is more uniformly SFP. I think the first episode of Season 2, "Arts and Crass" is particularly illustrative of how the two types differ. Daria is more open to recognizing others' opinions, more quick to compromise, more wordy in explaining what's going on. Jane is more direct, more pointed, acts (paints) before fully understanding what she's arguing for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts