Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the last past month I made some really big decisions in my life!

I quit my job as a project manager and began looking for a more creative thing to to as a job. I began to dissect my life and wasn't all that happy with what i saw.

I've worked and studied engineering for 5 years in a row, had a huge salary and a "comfortable" desk job. But with all that I wasn't one bit happy. Just being on time and checking emails made me smoke a pack of cigarettes to make the day bearable. That scenario gave me a huge rep bonus with my peers and my family (specially my family) and that positive feedback got me through 5 years... No more.

I grew tired and angry with things, i had to completely shut down my Ne and that was killing me literally. I normally don't have problems with change but this one was REALLY tough... I gotta say that. Now I'm currently following another area, Product design. It really provokes mine creativity which is making me puke rainbows!

I had friends that would give their arm to be in the position I was and that always screwed my decisions up, was I just weak? was I complaining with a bellyful?

Have any of you had any problems in life changing decision? Or am I just putting to much fire on this matchstick?

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
I had friends that would give their arm to be in the position I was and that always screwed my decisions up, was I just weak? was I complaining with a bellyful?
No I think it is a legitimate complaint to be unsatisfied with your job if you don't like it regardless of pay. As far as weakness goes, I have done something similar. The short of it is that I allowed myself to become suppressed into lack of Ne usage, and as a result of that have had a lifetime pattern of inaction. Basically, I have been miserable with my life for a while. I think that humans are just creatures of habit, regardless of type. Pavlov's dog and all of that.

Have any of you had any problems in life changing decision? Or am I just putting to much fire on this matchstick?
Well I recently decided that before I get into my career, I am going to join the Peace Corps. That's been a pretty frightening yet equally scary endeavor. However, it has given me motivation to slog through all of the shit I don't want to do in order to do the thing I want to do. So to answer your question, I think it's a little of both. Don't worry what your friend would do for the job you wanted. Just focus on what's going to make you happy.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

Life's too short to waste it doing anything you don't love.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So, in the last past month I made some really big decisions in my life!

I quit my job as a project manager and began looking for a more creative thing to to as a job. I began to dissect my life and wasn't all that happy with what i saw.

I've worked and studied engineering for 5 years in a row, had a huge salary and a "comfortable" desk job. But with all that I wasn't one bit happy. Just being on time and checking emails made me smoke a pack of cigarettes to make the day bearable. That scenario gave me a huge rep bonus with my peers and my family (specially my family) and that positive feedback got me through 5 years... No more.

I grew tired and angry with things, i had to completely shut down my Ne and that was killing me literally. I normally don't have problems with change but this one was REALLY tough... I gotta say that. Now I'm currently following another area, Product design. It really provokes mine creativity which is making me puke rainbows!

For me personally, I am easily bored. I love a challenge (I'm a type 8 lol) so once a job, or a relationship, or a car, or a diet, or an internet site or a ...well, you get the idea...becomes routine - I'm gone. The only thing that competes with this occasionally is my sense of loyalty. Usually though, boredom will win out. I also love nothing more than a new "something" to play with. I am decisive, and arrogant enough to think I can pull anything off. I've read that other ENTPs aren't so decisive. I've been in upper management for years, so it forced me to become decisive. Whenever I do make a major change, I think that, like most people I tend to second guess myself. It's usually only brief, because I think highly of myself and my abilities lol, so I'm sure I can do anything. The reality is that I can! And if I don't like whatever new job I've taken on, I have an impressive resume that will get me a better job. I'm never stuck. I'm a natural risk taker. It would destroy my soul to be trapped or stuck in the mundane.

·
Registered
651 Posts
was I complaining with a bellyful?

What an interesting expression haha. I actually enjoy making big decisions because it shoots my life off into newer, more exciting directions. I think what you decided to do was smart. There is nothing like puking rainbows!!

·
Registered
ENTP
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me personally, I am easily bored. I love a challenge...
...I'm never stuck. I'm a natural risk taker. It would destroy my soul to be trapped or stuck in the mundane.
Classic ENTJ! I have a friends that says the same thing.

What an interesting expression haha...
Old Brazilian expressions rule! All taught, excluding the many curse word, by my grandfather.

"In piranha river crocodiles swim belly-up"
"Never poke a jaguar with a small stick"
"Never count the egg inside the chicken"

the list goes on

Hehe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts