Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed for a good part of my life that most people (at least the ones Ive observed) avoid correcting others (unless it's a classroom type situation, our a group of people who know each other well) when they know they are wrong. I feel like it has to do with the fact that a lot of people become offended when what they believe, say, or do is questioned. I've been doing this social experiment for over 2 years now where I would employ incorrect information or mispronounce words to the point that it's comical to both strangers and friends, and would later record if the person corrected me or didn't. Out of 356 situations where I did this only 54 people (33 being friends/family) corrected me. Any thoughts on why people avoid correcting others during a conversation?

Reactions: runnerveran

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
back in the day, such an act would be 'okay'... but nowadays, people take it the wrong way to the extreme and risk getting shot.

"u korect'n me muh'fuka. u korect'n me?" *whips out glock* "wut joo gonn do?"
yea... fear driven civilization now. sad.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
LOL, it's awesome that you actually did that experiment. :laughing:

I'm a bit like this because it humiliates me (maybe as an INTP) to be wrong and so I like to put things delicately to people if they're mistaken about something, if it needs to be said at all. Sometimes, depending on the belief, people can be really attached to it and it's not really worth getting into. You never know how someone is going to react, even if most of the time they won't care.

I think this might have been why your social experiment turned out the way it did...by the sounds of it the "wrong stuff" was kind of trivial details (but don't feel bad and correct me if it wasn't :wink:). People usually don't want to point that stuff out because it's just not important to the general conversation...correcting you would only make them look like kind of an ass (because they cared about calling you out about something so minor), slow up the conversation, and again wouldn't really accomplish anything.

If this is true, even more of it's probably due to apathy...they probably just didn't care that you were pronouncing words wrong or whatever else you were saying.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've noticed for a good part of my life that most people (at least the ones Ive observed) avoid correcting others (unless it's a classroom type situation, our a group of people who know each other well) when they know they are wrong. I feel like it has to do with the fact that a lot of people become offended when what they believe, say, or do is questioned. I've been doing this social experiment for over 2 years now where I would employ incorrect information or mispronounce words to the point that it's comical to both strangers and friends, and would later record if the person corrected me or didn't. Out of 356 situations where I did this only 54 people (33 being friends/family) corrected me. Any thoughts on why people avoid correcting others during a conversation?
It's because all those damn *SF*s!!! J/k.
I think it is more insulting than necessary to correct every little mispronunciation or wrong fact if I am still able to understand the bigger picture. Usually, you still understand what someone means despite any inconsistency. I know for me it is difficult to effectively vocalize an opinion and someone who ignores my obvious overall point and then emphasizes minor semantic or substantive mistakes can come off as very pompous.

With that said, there are still times where i have noticed someone is just flat out wrong and I am still disinclined to correct them. This is typically because I know certain people will really take it personally and get upset. I have no desire to cause conflict with others because of it. I also have little faith that pointing out an incorrect statement will even be considered by some people (people are really freakin stubborn) so it's not worth the effort at all.
At school, our exams are based on how all the students compare to each other, so it acts in my favor whenever a fellow student flat out doesn't understand the material.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
because when you correct someones mistake, you arent correcting the mistake, youre correcting them, personally.

(well you're not, but thats how most people take it)

it comes down to losing face, sense of self, ego, pride and all that jazz

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
because when you correct someone mistake, you arent correcting the mistake, youre correcting them, personally.

(well you're not, but thats how most people take it)

it comes down to losing face, sense of sense, ego, pride and all that jazz
I hate when people say this to me. It makes no sense to me at all.

Personally, I appreciate it when someone takes the time to correct me. Not that I always agree with them in the end, but the potential of new knowledge must not be ignored.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
In everyday life, I don't have a lot of opportunities to do this.

I've noticed that if you ask a professor to clarify something, a lot of them take it badly as if you're trying to correct them. So I try not to do this.

That's really the only scenario I've come across in my life related to correcting people. I typically don't even pay attention to what other people are saying/doing.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
If I correct someone, I try to make sure I'm doing it for a good reason, and something that is helpful to them in terms of the big picture, not something piddly or irrelevant. (The latter comes off as nitpicky and about me having to somehow show how 'smart' I am rather than doing something to help them.)

Besides, I don't really enjoy having someone constantly derailing with trivial mistakes I might be making... especially if my choices are based on context so I'm not even really making a mistake.

Face is a big deal, especially in Eastern communities.

From a purely pragmatic POV, it makes sense to not unnecessarily needle people who have power over you, if they're going to make your life hell needlessly for it. Maybe I'll take a few hits correcting people on things I consider important, but for a hill to die on, I'm not going to choose it in pursuit of pointless minutia.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In everyday life, I don't have a lot of opportunities to do this.

I've noticed that if you ask a professor to clarify something, a lot of them take it badly as if you're trying to correct them. So I try not to do this.

That's really the only scenario I've come across in my life related to correcting people. I typically don't even pay attention to what other people are saying/doing.
Weird, when I took some college classes I noticed that my professors were more inclined to help. Though my English Comp professor didn't like me ridiculing environmentalism, some heated arguments ensued that semester, god I loved that class...

Face is a big deal, especially in Eastern communities.

From a purely pragmatic POV, it makes sense to not unnecessarily needle people who have power over you, if they're going to make your life hell needlessly for it. Maybe I'll take a few hits correcting people on things I consider important, but for a hill to die on, I'm not going to choose it in pursuit of pointless minutia.
Eastern countries scare me. Their behavior is so rigid and structured. I want to live in Japan for a year or two so bad but I'm afraid the difference in culture would cause conflict.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I hate when people say this to me. It makes no sense to me at all.

Personally, I appreciate it when someone takes the time to correct me. Not that I always agree with them in the end, but the potential of new knowledge must not be ignored.
thats along the lines of how i feel. i think it is very primitive like and unnessecary.

"you say wrong thing, you stupid and weak"

the problem here is people dont know others motive, thoughts or intent. people do make corrections from their general smugness and to put people down. this is why if a stranger corrects your mistake, especially in a large group, it is far than if your best friend corrected you were you were both alone. What is the difference here? like i said before, things like face, ego, pride etc.

one person you can always correct and not feel angry or embarrassed about it..... is yourself. when thinking to yourself you can call yourself out over anything you want without the fear or being deemed 'nit picky' or whatever else you want to call it. you know your motivations totally, and thats you simply want to get the right answer and right information.

also there is another thing which is very important, your own brain can through information much quicker then every other menthod of human communication. it is why some people may find it strange after they tell a long story and your response is "that word you said is actually pronounced.....", because instead of taking that information in and storing it, a human mind will think "was that really his first response?". you know if i said my response to them the way my brain is actually working i would probably say someone like "that word is pronounced *****, that part of the story was really interesting because i had a similar experience, the name of your dog is similar to the name of mine"... i'd basically be listing things in bullet points, and in conversational terms, that would come across as weird. the large the group the more evident you will find this. conversation become so dumbed down, lines are shortened, meanings are taken out. it is why pretty much every group needs a leader, because since humans communication is so poor, we need that one voice that rules over, because if everyone in the world was in a conversation not everyone could say ONE line, as it would take decades to get through everyones opinion.

imagine in the future if a chip is invented where it can take in thousands of data information and have your brain sort through it in seconds. you could have conversations wirelessly, right brom the brain, so as to not waste time with human tounge. if everyone had this chip the world would become like an interconnected being, processing information and dispensing on rapid scales, no need for 1 man 'leaders' of countries.... everyone voice is heard, because it would be possible. the idea is obviously loose, but its a thought.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Eastern countries scare me. Their behavior is so rigid and structured. I want to live in Japan for a year or two so bad but I'm afraid the difference in culture would cause conflict.
Thailand felt relaxed when I was there... but I think it might be different if I had been born to a Thai family and grown up there, in terms of social expectation.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thailand felt relaxed when I was there... but I think it might be different if I had been born to a Thai family and grown up there, in terms of social expectation.
where did you go in thailand?

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
where did you go in thailand?
I was only in Bangkok (old city Siam and over to the east in the airport region), I didn't get out in the smaller more traditional areas.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a REALLY hard time not correcting people. Its honestly what a lot of my self-control is spent on haha... I notice flaws in grammar, facts and just overall, I tend to notice when people make mistakes. I dont look down on them for it, I just notice it and want to correct them to help them. Its automatic.

I like it when people correct me for a couple reasons: 1. It shows they are interested in getting things straight and 2. It shows they are paying attention enough to catch it/care haha... oh and 3. I like being right, but if I'm wrong, then I'd like to be "more-right" haha

I've had to really learn not to do this often though. My F-friends often get really offended and touchy when you correct them and think its some sort of personal attack. I think they're overly sensitive, but I guess everyone's different. I dont understand why being mistaken is so bad

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure some are better than others. I know that Japan is supposedly very Xenophobic. I can't imagine the type of reception I'd get with long hair, lip piercings, and tattoos, but shit I wanna go to Tokyo so bad. They seem like they are so much more advanced than the west technologically speaking.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I was only in Bangkok (old city Siam and over to the east in the airport region), I didn't get out in the smaller more traditional areas.
yeah ive been to siam. bangkok is really nice, but also very busy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts