Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problems gauging intangible notions?

I find it very, very difficult to mentally gauge (intangible) notions.

Most people seem to have such distinct standard bars for who is stupid or intelligent, how much is more and how much is less, what they like and what they dislike et cetera.

But,
-I don't understand what I like and what I don't like unless it's on one extremity (eg: I KNOW I severely dislike crowds, but I can't tell whether I like or dislike a particular friend, or if I like/dislike/am neutral about bananas.)

-Unless it makes me cringe (physical reflex) , I have difficulty categorizing something/someone as ugly or attractive.

As there are no set refernce points to divide such abstract notions (such as like vs dislike etc.) into dichotomies - they confuse the hell out of me.

Basically, I can't categorize things that I don't have clear scale for. This also applies to feelings - I don't know how to gauge them, so I can't automatically tell whether what I'm feeling is disappointment or ennui, unless I painstakingly analyse it.

I'm even hopeless with approximate measurements. I wouldn't have any idea about how heavy a kilo is , or approximately how long is 1 meter (my ENTP sibling is the exact opposite, she can immediately pinpoint things ;"that's too short to make 3 feet" , and is usually right, while I sit there for the next half hour trying to figure out how she could have figured that out).

Do any of you struggle with this ?
This thought has been bothering me for a while, and I'm still deciding on whether its a boon or severe inadequacy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm the same way. Not so much with the like/dislike issue, but I know exactly where you're coming from as far as the emotional factor, and even measurements. I've always been crap at approximating measurements, and we even had to take tests on this at school when I was young. Those were the only tests I ever did bad on. Hah. Figures.

I do have a less prominent ability to label someone as ugly or attractive based on appearances. I've even been known to be attracted to boys that my friends thought were on the lower end of the pretty-scale. It's really irritating, and it's also a reason I let hardly anyone know of my love-interests anymore. It gets old hearing that the person I genuinely like isn't "good enough for me." Oh, how many times I've heard "you could do so much better!" -.- Though, this isn't an issue now. It's his personality that's the issue. Kind of backwards from what it used to be...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't have a problem with knowing what I like/dislike or find beautiful/ugly, but whenever people ask if I'm excited about an upcoming event, I have to stop and think about what I feel (if anything) about it. my heart isn't racing and I'm not squealing or jumping up and down or barely containing myself. am I excited? I don't think so. but saying "I'm not excited" sounds like I'm not looking forward to it or that I'm actively dreading it, which is not the case. I'm just not actively excited. the other person doesn't actually want to know any of this though. the correct response is apparently the inane "yes, I'm so excited!" :-|

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have poor spacial awareness, so I get where you're coming from with the measurements. I can't tell an inch from a mile if I don't have some measuring tool to consult.

But on the other hand, I know what I like, what I'm partial to, what annoys me and what I flat out dislike when it comes to things like music, food or movies.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I try to remain neutral in most situations, leading me to situations where, "No one is smart or dumb, beautiful or ugly, etc." It's great for refraining from judging people (at least not at first glance), but it does slow down my already slow decision-making process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts